P275/40ZR18

Old April 24th 08, 11:00 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Roscoe[_2_]

Default P275/40ZR18

I have a screw in my Goodyear P275/40ZR18 and it leaks slowly.
Can I get it plugged or am I 'screwed"?
Old April 24th 08, 11:12 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dad[_1_]

"Roscoe" > wrote in message
. ..
>I have a screw in my Goodyear P275/40ZR18 and it leaks slowly.
> Can I get it plugged or am I 'screwed"?

Plug it, and patch it on the inside and forget it. The reason they do
both is so it cuts down water/dirt separating the plies in the hole,
the patch is to hold the air and backup the plug. There are also some
special plug/patches out there that have a head on them like the
inside patch. Then again if you're racing it all bets are off. My
right rear has a plug in it that has worked well for 2 years, non
runflat rain tire.

--
Dad
05 C6 Silver/Red 6spd Z51

Old April 25th 08, 12:25 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Roscoe[_2_]

Thanks Dad! I don't plan on racing, but I want to bake sure I'm not
setting myself up for a blowout at (insert speed here). Thank again

Old May 3rd 08, 12:06 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
George[_17_]

On 25 Apr, 00:25, Roscoe > wrote:
> Thanks Dad! *I don't plan on racing, but I want to bake sure I'm not
> setting myself up for a blowout at (insert speed here). *Thank again
>

> Dad wrote:
> > "Roscoe" > wrote in message
> >> I have a screw in my Goodyear P275/40ZR18 and it leaks slowly.
> >> Can I get it plugged or am I 'screwed"?

> > Plug it, and patch it on the inside and forget it. The reason they do
> > both is so it cuts down water/dirt separating the plies in the hole, the
> > patch is to hold the air and backup the plug. There are also some
> > special plug/patches out there that have a head on them like the inside
> > patch. Then again if you're racing it all bets are off. My right rear
> > has a plug in it that has worked well for 2 years, non runflat rain tire..- Hide quoted text -

Don't do this if the screw is anywhere near the sidewall. I did this
and it all came apart in the fast lane with the slow lane nose to
tail. A bit embarrassing. Plugging inside the tread pattern has
worked OK on many occasions.

George.
Old May 4th 08, 03:40 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
PJ

George wrote:
> On 25 Apr, 00:25, Roscoe > wrote:
>> Thanks Dad! I don't plan on racing, but I want to bake sure I'm not
>> setting myself up for a blowout at (insert speed here). Thank again
>>

>> Dad wrote:
>>> "Roscoe" > wrote in message
>>> . ..
>>> Plug it, and patch it on the inside and forget it. The reason they do
>>> both is so it cuts down water/dirt separating the plies in the hole, the
>>> patch is to hold the air and backup the plug. There are also some
>>> special plug/patches out there that have a head on them like the inside
>>> patch. Then again if you're racing it all bets are off. My right rear
>>> has a plug in it that has worked well for 2 years, non runflat rain tire.- Hide quoted text -

> Don't do this if the screw is anywhere near the sidewall. I did this
> and it all came apart in the fast lane with the slow lane nose to
> tail. A bit embarrassing. Plugging inside the tread pattern has
> worked OK on many occasions.
>
> George.

I think this says about the same thing as my
tire guy. For runflats he only plugs in the
mid-2/3 of the treadwidth.

Check out the table at the bottom of page, on:
<http://www.cjtire.com/pdf/Safety%20Information.pdf>

If you limit speed to where you can maintain
control and get it stopped before disintegration
tears up bodywork then it doesn't matter.

--
pj
Old May 4th 08, 04:42 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dad[_1_]

"pj" > wrote in message
> George wrote:
>> On 25 Apr, 00:25, Roscoe > wrote:
>>> Thanks Dad! I don't plan on racing, but I want to bake sure I'm
>>> not
>>> setting myself up for a blowout at (insert speed here). Thank
>>> again

>> Don't do this if the screw is anywhere near the sidewall. I did
>> this
>> and it all came apart in the fast lane with the slow lane nose to
>> tail. A bit embarrassing. Plugging inside the tread pattern has
>> worked OK on many occasions.
>>
>> George.

> I think this says about the same thing as my tire guy. For runflats
> he only plugs in the mid-2/3 of the treadwidth.
>
> Check out the table at the bottom of page, on:
> <http://www.cjtire.com/pdf/Safety%20Information.pdf>
>
> If you limit speed to where you can maintain control and get it
> stopped before disintegration tears up bodywork then it doesn't
> matter.
>
> --
> pj

Limit speed? You're no fun at all.