mixing tires...

Old December 31st 07, 06:19 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Mel P.[_2_]

Default mixing tires...

A few times I've bought tires at Costco. They reluctantly will mix tires
from different manufacturers. I strictly 'on-road'.
Does any one know the real reason?

Mel P.
96 Cherokee

Old December 31st 07, 09:11 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Dave Milne

Here in the UK, not only will Costco not mix tyres from different
manufacturers, they won't even sell you one tyre as they insist in having a
matched axle. The excuse is that the tyre size differ between manufacturers
and it will both bugger up your 4x4 system and also adversely effect your
handling so you will crash and die.

This is either down to the famed American litigiousness or a cynical and
doubtless successful attempt to make more sales.
Personally, I think they should sell you the damn tyre and let you make the
choice yourself.

Dave Milne, Scotland

Old December 31st 07, 05:44 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
XS11E[_3_]

"Mel P." > wrote:

> A few times I've bought tires at Costco. They reluctantly will
> mix tires from different manufacturers. I strictly 'on-road'.
> Does any one know the real reason?

Different tread patterns behave differently, you could create some
major handling problems with combinations that haven't been tested.

Most tire manufacturers recommend against it, Costco doesn't want to
get sued and going against the manufacturer's recommendations gives a
sharp lawyer a way to shift blame from the manufacturer to Costco.

The Usenet Improvement Project:
http://improve-usenet.org
Old December 31st 07, 06:00 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Mike Romain

Mel P. wrote:
> A few times I've bought tires at Costco. They reluctantly will mix tires
> from different manufacturers. I strictly 'on-road'.
> Does any one know the real reason?
>

> Mel P.
> 96 Cherokee

The sidewalls don't act the same so you can and will over or understeer
and possible wipe out if you have to avoid something rather than calmly
driving around it.

The cops here in Canada will bust you for driving an unsafe vehicle if
they find mixed tires on a 4x4.

It actually isn't near as dangerous off road as on because you can slide
easier off road rather than grabbing, grabbing, grabbing and WOW a 180
or 360 suddenly happens.

Mike
'New' frame in the works for '08. Some Canadian Bush Trip and Build
Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com
Old December 31st 07, 06:05 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Mike Romain

I mixed Michelin on the front of a 1970 Pontiac station wagon with BFG's
on the back and wiped out on the 'first' highway exit ramp I drove on.
I was doing the posted exit speed on a sunny dry day and the arse end
decided it really wanted to pass the front end.

Ya, ya I was young, broke and stubborn and got such a good deal on the
Michelins...

I learned fast that not mixing tires wasn't just 'an old wives tale'.

Old December 31st 07, 11:19 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Dave Milne

I forgot that 70's American cars weren't built with those strange things
called "corners" in mind...

Dave Milne, Scotland

g.com...

Old January 1st 08, 01:40 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Garth Almgren

On Dec 31, 10:05 am, Mike Romain > wrote:

> I mixed Michelin on the front of a 1970 Pontiac station wagon with BFG's
> on the back and wiped out on the 'first' highway exit ramp I drove on.
> I was doing the posted exit speed on a sunny dry day and the arse end
> decided it really wanted to pass the front end.
>
> Ya, ya I was young, broke and stubborn and got such a good deal on the
> Michelins...
>
> I learned fast that not mixing tires wasn't just 'an old wives tale'.
>
> Mike
> 'New' frame in the works for '08. Some Canadian Bush Trip and Build
> Photos:http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com

I think that's more a function of "new tires up front" than mixing
brands. For reasons of stability (as you found out), virtually all
tire experts recommend that the tires with the most traction should be
mounted on the rear axle.

--
~/Garth - 1993 Wrangler S 2.5
{ }|||||||{ } "MukYJ"

Old January 1st 08, 02:26 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Fred[_9_]

I've had a different brand snow tires (vs the front tire
brand) on the rear of cars for over 40 years without any problem.
This might be one for the mythbusters!

Old January 1st 08, 03:36 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Mike Romain

Garth Almgren wrote:
> On Dec 31, 10:05 am, Mike Romain > wrote:
>
>> I mixed Michelin on the front of a 1970 Pontiac station wagon with BFG's
>> on the back and wiped out on the 'first' highway exit ramp I drove on.
>> I was doing the posted exit speed on a sunny dry day and the arse end
>> decided it really wanted to pass the front end.
>>
>> Ya, ya I was young, broke and stubborn and got such a good deal on the
>> Michelins...
>>
>> I learned fast that not mixing tires wasn't just 'an old wives tale'.
>>
>> Mike
>> 86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00
>> 'New' frame in the works for '08. Some Canadian Bush Trip and Build
>> Photos:http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com
>>

> I think that's more a function of "new tires up front" than mixing
> brands. For reasons of stability (as you found out), virtually all
> tire experts recommend that the tires with the most traction should be
> mounted on the rear axle.
>

> --
> ~/Garth - 1993 Wrangler S 2.5
> { }|||||||{ } "MukYJ"

I guess I should have stated that the BFG's on the back were also less
than 6 months old and had a lot more aggressive tread than the 'used'
Michelins I got a good deal on, so they 'were' on the back.

It's a function of the sidewall flex, the Michelin tires have 'very'
soft sidewalls so they always look half flat compared to a stiffer tire
like a BFG.

Mike

Old January 1st 08, 03:46 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Mike Romain

Well, I know for sure that here in Ontario Canada if you get into a bad
fender bender in your 4x4 and you have mixed brands of tires on it, the
police and your insurance will find 'you' at fault for driving an unsafe
vehicle.

This does not hold for driving on a spare tire or vehicles that spec
different front and rear sizes.

Their reasoning 'and' my insurance companies reasoning was if you have
the 'proper' matched tires on your 4x4, you 'might' have been able to
avoid the accident rather than hit the jerk that pulled out in front of you.

This can turn an accidental death into vehicular homicide and make for a
'really' bad day.

Thankfully I learned that lesson back in the 70's so 'had' matching
tires and the other party was found at fault for hitting me and he lived
thankfully....

Mike

Fred wrote:
> I've had a different brand snow tires (vs the front tire
> brand) on the rear of cars for over 40 years without any problem.
> This might be one for the mythbusters!
>
> "Garth Almgren" > wrote in message
>> On Dec 31, 10:05 am, Mike Romain > wrote:
>>
>>> I mixed Michelin on the front of a 1970 Pontiac station wagon with BFG's
>>> on the back and wiped out on the 'first' highway exit ramp I drove on.
>>> I was doing the posted exit speed on a sunny dry day and the arse end
>>> decided it really wanted to pass the front end.
>>>
>>> Ya, ya I was young, broke and stubborn and got such a good deal on the
>>> Michelins...
>>>
>>> I learned fast that not mixing tires wasn't just 'an old wives tale'.
>>>
>>> Mike
>>> 86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00
>>> 'New' frame in the works for '08. Some Canadian Bush Trip and Build
>>> Photos:http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com
>>>

>> I think that's more a function of "new tires up front" than mixing
>> brands. For reasons of stability (as you found out), virtually all
>> tire experts recommend that the tires with the most traction should be
>> mounted on the rear axle.
>>

>> --
>> ~/Garth - 1993 Wrangler S 2.5

fuel and oil mixing!! [email protected] VW water cooled 1 July 3rd 07 05:58 AM
Mixing tire brands? Kevin Oberle BMW 5 May 23rd 06 04:11 AM
Mixing Dunlop M2 and M3 tires John F. Carr Audi 2 December 9th 05 04:07 PM
mixing radial and bias tires desperado Technology 10 June 15th 05 07:45 AM
Mixing Coolant solution Tony Audi 3 September 27th 04 07:21 AM