M30 Intake Manifold

Old November 19th 04, 11:07 PM
Bill

Default M30 Intake Manifold

I've seen the intakes from BMP and BavAuto for late models. I was wondering
if there was something better for the M30 ('86 535i). I'm not talking about
the filter mods, but the actual intake manifold. Maybe something that
doesn't cross over the head. Has anyone retrofitted a newer hotfilm/wire air
mass meter to the earlier M30?
Bill
'86 535i U.S.

Old November 19th 04, 11:43 PM
bfd

Bill wrote:
> I've seen the intakes from BMP and BavAuto for late models. I was

wondering
> if there was something better for the M30 ('86 535i). I'm not talking

about
> the filter mods, but the actual intake manifold. Maybe something that
> doesn't cross over the head. Has anyone retrofitted a newer

hotfilm/wire air
> mass meter to the earlier M30?
> Bill
> '86 535i U.S.

You have an E28 535i. What you want is a Dinan intake manifold:

http://www.dinancars.com/SeriesPrint.asp?prod=1273
At $900 big ones, it ain't cheap. But, its what you need....

Old November 20th 04, 04:27 AM
JRC702

What is the point of putting a performance intake on a M30 motor? You will
still have only have 2 valves per cylinder, that weak camshaft and valve train
and too many other issues to list to ever allow this motor to be able to get
out of it's own way.
If you want any performance, you need to start with at least an M50 motor.
This is a 6 cylinder car that still has an ingition cap & rotor. Your options
are severely limited.
Old November 20th 04, 07:22 AM
bfd

"JRC702" > wrote in message
> What is the point of putting a performance intake on a M30 motor? You will
> still have only have 2 valves per cylinder, that weak camshaft and valve
> train
> and too many other issues to list to ever allow this motor to be able to
> get
> out of it's own way.
> If you want any performance, you need to start with at least an M50 motor.
> This is a 6 cylinder car that still has an ingition cap & rotor. Your
> options
> are severely limited.

An M50? You're kidding right? That engine has only a 2.5 liter! The M30 with
its 3.5 liter (ah, that's 1000cc bigger) puts out more horses ( 208 hp stock
vs. M50 189hp - both US versions) and more importantly, more torque (225
ft-lb stock vs. M50 184 ft-lb).

However, I will agree that adding performance parts, outside maybe a chip,
will probably not make your car that much faster. If you really want more,
save your money and get an M5....

Old November 20th 04, 06:03 PM
fbloogyudsr

"bfd" > wrote
> "JRC702" > wrote
>> What is the point of putting a performance intake on a M30 motor? You
>> will
>> still have only have 2 valves per cylinder, that weak camshaft and valve
>> train
>> and too many other issues to list to ever allow this motor to be able to
>> get
>> out of it's own way.
>> If you want any performance, you need to start with at least an M50
>> motor.
>> This is a 6 cylinder car that still has an ingition cap & rotor. Your
>> options
>> are severely limited.

> An M50? You're kidding right? That engine has only a 2.5 liter! The M30
> with its 3.5 liter (ah, that's 1000cc bigger) puts out more horses ( 208
> hp stock vs. M50 189hp - both US versions) and more importantly, more
> torque (225 ft-lb stock vs. M50 184 ft-lb).
>
> However, I will agree that adding performance parts, outside maybe a chip,
> will probably not make your car that much faster. If you really want more,
> save your money and get an M5....

JRC702 obviously doesn't know what an M30 is...

Having rebuilt an old 3L M30, I know that a mildly ported head and
stainless steel headers will give you an easy 30 hp and some torque.
It's quite possible that an intake manifold will add another 20 or so.
A total of 50hp (easily doable with those options IMO) is much more
than you will ever get from an M50 (and I have an M50B25 in my '91 E34
so I know what I'm talking about, here.)

FloydR

Old November 21st 04, 12:39 PM
Rob Munach

fbloogyudsr wrote:

> "bfd" > wrote
>
>> "JRC702" > wrote
>>
>>> What is the point of putting a performance intake on a M30 motor? You
>>> will
>>> still have only have 2 valves per cylinder, that weak camshaft and
>>> valve train
>>> and too many other issues to list to ever allow this motor to be able
>>> to get
>>> out of it's own way.
>>> If you want any performance, you need to start with at least an M50
>>> motor.
>>> This is a 6 cylinder car that still has an ingition cap & rotor. Your
>>> options
>>> are severely limited.

>> An M50? You're kidding right? That engine has only a 2.5 liter! The
>> M30 with its 3.5 liter (ah, that's 1000cc bigger) puts out more horses
>> ( 208 hp stock vs. M50 189hp - both US versions) and more importantly,
>> more torque (225 ft-lb stock vs. M50 184 ft-lb).
>>
>> However, I will agree that adding performance parts, outside maybe a
>> chip, will probably not make your car that much faster. If you really
>> want more, save your money and get an M5....

> JRC702 obviously doesn't know what an M30 is...
>
> Having rebuilt an old 3L M30, I know that a mildly ported head and
> stainless steel headers will give you an easy 30 hp and some torque.
> It's quite possible that an intake manifold will add another 20 or so.
> A total of 50hp (easily doable with those options IMO) is much more
> than you will ever get from an M50 (and I have an M50B25 in my '91 E34
> so I know what I'm talking about, here.)
>
> FloydR

Just chipping and M30 adds at least 25 hp (i think). My buddy put one in
his E34 535 and it easily pulls my E30 325is down the straights. It
pulls me just about as well as an e36 M3!
--
Rob Munach, PE
Excel Engineering

Does Anyone Know About These Aftermarket Cold Air Intake Upgrades... The Scarlet Pimpernel Audi 6 December 8th 04 02:36 AM
E39 whistiling noise - from intake? dave BMW 3 November 4th 04 03:14 PM
AIr Intake for 325 E-30 Surf BMW 1 October 15th 04 10:36 PM
Need Intake Maniford for Weber Carbs (1984 Spider Volace) r.amber Alfa Romeo 0 June 19th 04 10:28 PM