need help with fuel problem

Old September 12th 07, 03:48 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
88yj

Default need help with fuel problem

my 88 yj 4.2 is not getting gas to the carb. the fuel pump is new and
i checked all lines between the carb and the pump. i did not check
the fuel return line because i cant get the hose off. i dont know if
that could cause this problem or not. the fuel filter is new too. i
ran a hose from the pump to a jug of gas and it pumped gas up it so
the pump is working.

im guessing its the metal line from the tank to the pump or anything
between there i dont know about. am i gonna have to drop the tank to
test this line? is there anything else that could be causing the lack
of fuel?

thanks to anyone who helps

Old September 12th 07, 05:48 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Mike Romain

OK, you have fuel from the pump to the carb.

Here are some ideas....

The pump will not pick up the fuel from the tank easily if the gas
filter got put in upside down. Seriously!

The rubber line that runs from the steel one along the frame to the gas
tank and to the pump in the front will rot out from using ethanol mix in
your gasoline, so check that first. Upgraded fuel line is needed.

The steel line will get pinholes in it where the clamps hold it onto the
frame rail. These holes are on the suction side of the pump so they
only show as small stains, not drips until they get really bad. This
can air lock the pump so a close visual inspection is needed.

The return line has no bearing on this problem. When it leaks, there is
no mistaking it, gas pukes all over the ground, usually by the back
fender on a YJ where the roll over check valve is located.

The gas gauge is notorious for giving 'bad' readings, is there 'really'
gas in the tank?

You can blow back through the gas line and hear bubbles in the tank with
the cap open to verify fuel in the tank and the correct line and the
pickup sock not blocked with goo. The return line will just blow air
unless the tank is really full.

The fuel 'pickup' line to the pump is the larger of the two lines, make
sure they haven't got switched if they both were off at any time. Have
seen that more than once. The Jeep will run for about a quarter tank,
then 'run out of gas'.

If the pump is air locked, 3 or 4, 1/4 cup prims of gas down the carb
will usually get the gas flowing again.

Hope some of this helps,

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's - Gone to the rust pile...

Old September 12th 07, 07:24 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
L.W. \(Bill\) Hughes III[_3394_]

Replace the clogged fuel filter on the inside the frame rail, on the
drivers side above the front half of the spring. There's a shield you have
to remove to get to it. as diagramed in this parts list:
http://www.billhughes.com/temp/88yjFuelPump.pdf
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

oups.com...

fuel problem 88yj Jeep 1 September 10th 07 11:35 PM
5 psi, 25 oz fuel/minute fuel injection problem [email protected] Technology 5 August 13th 07 03:24 AM
1974 SB - Replacing manual fuel pump with an electric (fuel delivery problem) Steve VW air cooled 10 June 20th 06 08:05 PM
Fuel problem 92 SL2 Ledfoot Saturn 3 April 13th 05 04:17 AM
Fuel problem? David C. Moller Jeep 5 February 15th 05 04:47 PM