Automatic Tranny Fluid Gasket

Old March 31st 05, 02:40 AM
Bruce Yelen

Default Automatic Tranny Fluid Gasket

Getting set to do the first fluid change on a Grand Caravan automatic.
Question is: When putting the plate back on the bottom of the tranny, is it
better to use the supplied gasket or RTV (as it came from the factory). On
other vehicles, I've always gone the gasket route (after painting it with
"form a gasket") and had issues with fluid leaking from time to time.

Old March 31st 05, 02:59 AM
Nate Nagel

Bruce Yelen wrote:

> Getting set to do the first fluid change on a Grand Caravan automatic.
> Question is: When putting the plate back on the bottom of the tranny, is it
> better to use the supplied gasket or RTV (as it came from the factory). On
> other vehicles, I've always gone the gasket route (after painting it with
> "form a gasket") and had issues with fluid leaking from time to time.

After just going through this dance with my '55 Stude (not really a
comparable vehicle, I know, but still) the next time I do a tranny pan
drop I won't bother using a gasket at all and will go straight to the
"right stuff" (that's what it's called - the RTV that comes in the cheez
whiz bottle)

nate

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel
Old March 31st 05, 03:00 AM
Bob Shuman

I recommend that you use the dealer only re-useable combination metal and
silicone gasket described in TSB 21-05-99 Rev A (9/3/99). Not sure of your
year, but for my 1999, I think that the part number was 05011115AA for the
41TE/AE trans. I paid $25.36 for this part and it was more than worth not
needing to deal with the RTV. I've used this same style gasket on three
separate vehicles and when torqued correctly, none have leaked. It is
supposed to be good for up to 3 uses. I have not re-used for the second
time yet, but expect it should be good and also has the side benefit of
being easier to remove (the RTV can be stubborn.)

Bob

news

Old March 31st 05, 12:04 PM
Bill Putney

Bob Shuman wrote:
> I recommend that you use the dealer only re-useable combination metal and
> silicone gasket described in TSB 21-05-99 Rev A (9/3/99). Not sure of your
> year, but for my 1999, I think that the part number was 05011115AA for the
> 41TE/AE trans. I paid $25.36 for this part and it was more than worth not
> needing to deal with the RTV. I've used this same style gasket on three
> separate vehicles and when torqued correctly, none have leaked. It is
> supposed to be good for up to 3 uses. I have not re-used for the second
> time yet, but expect it should be good and also has the side benefit of
> being easier to remove (the RTV can be stubborn.)

I second Bob's suggestion, The same type of gasket is made available by
DC for pretty much all of their trannies. I put one on my Concorde
without any leaks, and have not read of *any* problems using them on the
various LH car forums. Some aftermarket filters come with rubber or
cork pan gaskets, but I think the DC gasket is the best choice.

Bill Putney
adddress with the letter 'x')
Old March 31st 05, 01:04 PM
jdoe

You are obviously going to put some aftermarket stuff in your trans and I
would suggest VERY strongly you do NOT. After having a trans failure thanks
to a piece of **** chinese filter I used 1 time because I ran out on a
Sunday I can tell you without hesitation to buy ONLY oem filter and the
reuseable gasket or the Mopar RTV. USeing anything else will put your trans
at risk.
Larry

Old March 31st 05, 07:07 PM
Steve

> After just going through this dance with my '55 Stude (not really a
> comparable vehicle, I know, but still) the next time I do a tranny pan
> drop I won't bother using a gasket at all and will go straight to the
> "right stuff" (that's what it's called - the RTV that comes in the cheez
> whiz bottle)

Same here, I LOVE that stuff. The one drawback on engine oil pans is
that you have to separate it by driving a putty knife through the sealer
to start it breaking loose- never had that problem on tranny pans,
though, they seem to break loose with just the usual tapping at one
corner and gentle prying with a thin putty knife or screwdriver.

FWIW, "The Right Stuff" is a lot cheaper if you buy it in the
caulking-gun tube instead of the cheez-whiz bottle ;-)

Old March 31st 05, 07:18 PM
Daniel J. Stern

On Thu, 31 Mar 2005, Bill Putney wrote:

> I second Bob's suggestion, The same type of gasket is made available by
> DC for pretty much all of their trannies.

....oh? H'mmm. (touch tone phone noises)...

Dealer says 4295875AC for '99 Durango with 42RE...rigid gasket, costs $19
Canadian...square with one corner cut off...

Yep, should work on any '60-up A904 or derivative. Cool!

Thanks DS
Old April 1st 05, 12:14 AM
Bill Putney

Steve wrote:

>> After just going through this dance with my '55 Stude (not really a
>> comparable vehicle, I know, but still) the next time I do a tranny pan
>> drop I won't bother using a gasket at all and will go straight to the
>> "right stuff" (that's what it's called - the RTV that comes in the
>> cheez whiz bottle)
>>

> Same here, I LOVE that stuff. The one drawback on engine oil pans is
> that you have to separate it by driving a putty knife through the sealer
> to start it breaking loose- never had that problem on tranny pans,
> though, they seem to break loose with just the usual tapping at one
> corner and gentle prying with a thin putty knife or screwdriver.
>
> FWIW, "The Right Stuff" is a lot cheaper if you buy it in the
> caulking-gun tube instead of the cheez-whiz bottle ;-)

And it has multiple uses. I like using it to fill cavities in walls to
seal holes and add insulation value to my house. 8^)

Bill Putney
adddress with the letter 'x')
Old April 1st 05, 12:07 PM
Nate Nagel

Steve wrote:

>> After just going through this dance with my '55 Stude (not really a
>> comparable vehicle, I know, but still) the next time I do a tranny pan
>> drop I won't bother using a gasket at all and will go straight to the
>> "right stuff" (that's what it's called - the RTV that comes in the
>> cheez whiz bottle)
>>

> Same here, I LOVE that stuff. The one drawback on engine oil pans is
> that you have to separate it by driving a putty knife through the sealer
> to start it breaking loose- never had that problem on tranny pans,
> though, they seem to break loose with just the usual tapping at one
> corner and gentle prying with a thin putty knife or screwdriver.
>
> FWIW, "The Right Stuff" is a lot cheaper if you buy it in the
> caulking-gun tube instead of the cheez-whiz bottle ;-)

Do you let it set up before you tighten it down? I thought if you did
that it would only stick to the pan (another job that I just love is
laying on my back with a gasket scraper while ATF drips onto my face...
BTDT)

nate

Old April 1st 05, 05:10 PM
Steve

>> FWIW, "The Right Stuff" is a lot cheaper if you buy it in the
>> caulking-gun tube instead of the cheez-whiz bottle ;-)

> And it has multiple uses. I like using it to fill cavities in walls to
> seal holes and add insulation value to my house. 8^)

I've used it to glue the strap back into a pair of cheap swimming
sandals... got another year out of those suckers after that.