97 ZJ 5.2 belt tensioner advice needed

Old July 23rd 11, 04:54 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
J. Clarke[_2_]

Default 97 ZJ 5.2 belt tensioner advice needed

This tensioner is the spring-loaded kind, not the kind where one applies
tension manually and tightens a bolt.

The serpentine belt slips on occasion. On inspection I find that the
belt tensioner doesn't move freely--I can put a wrench on it and move it
to any position and it stays there. Soaked it in PB Blaster and no
change. I pulled it as tight as it would go and right now the belt
isn't making any noise but it's not inspiring confidence.

Has anybody had any success in repairing one of these, or should I just
go down to NAPA and shell out the 52 bucks? And they have two--one's 52
and one's 72--any magic anybody knows of that makes one worth 20 bucks
extra?

Old July 23rd 11, 08:07 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Peter2

"J. Clarke" > wrote in message
in.local...
> This tensioner is the spring-loaded kind, not the kind where one applies
> tension manually and tightens a bolt.
>
> The serpentine belt slips on occasion. On inspection I find that the
> belt tensioner doesn't move freely--I can put a wrench on it and move it
> to any position and it stays there. Soaked it in PB Blaster and no
> change. I pulled it as tight as it would go and right now the belt
> isn't making any noise but it's not inspiring confidence.
>
> Has anybody had any success in repairing one of these, or should I just
> go down to NAPA and shell out the 52 bucks? And they have two--one's 52
> and one's 72--any magic anybody knows of that makes one worth 20 bucks
> extra?

Some belt tensioners can be adjusted, and disassembled without too much
trouble. But (big but) that is a powerful spring, make sure you have the
right tools to dissassemble and reassemble it, and don't hurt yourself. I
suspect the bolt/sleeve has rusted.

When apart, check the berings on the idler wheel--and replace if they are
bad.

Old July 27th 11, 12:34 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
SBlackfoot

> This tensioner is the spring-loaded kind, not the kind where one applies
> tension manually and tightens a bolt.
>
> The serpentine belt slips on occasion. On inspection I find that the
> belt tensioner doesn't move freely--I can put a wrench on it and move it
> to any position and it stays there. Soaked it in PB Blaster and no
> change. I pulled it as tight as it would go and right now the belt
> isn't making any noise but it's not inspiring confidence.
>
> Has anybody had any success in repairing one of these, or should I just
> go down to NAPA and shell out the 52 bucks? And they have two--one's 52
> and one's 72--any magic anybody knows of that makes one worth 20 bucks
> extra?

My '93 5.2L did that. Or was it my '98 5.9? Hell can't remember. Either way,
I soaked mine in PB Blaster too as well as worked it back and forth with the
breaker bar for a couple of minutes. Seemed to do the trick.