Late 80's Cabriolet: removing convertible lock-down lever handles

Old September 13th 05, 12:13 AM

Default Late 80's Cabriolet: removing convertible lock-down lever handles

I am troubleshooting a convertible top that won't close on my roomate's
Cabriolet convertible (probably late 80's vintage). I want to remove
the plastic trim pieces on both sides of the rear seat so I can see if
something is hung up, and I need to remove the plastic handles from the
lock-down levers to do so.

Can I just pull them off, or is there another way to remove them? I
didn't want to pull too hard without asking first.

Also, is there a common point of failure with these tops that I should
check? It will close to a point where the top hovers a few inches from
the top of the front windshield. I removed the little shock absorber
from that side (it had become tangled in the convertible frame, and was
in the shape of the letter C when I took it out), but there is still
something preventing the top from closing.

Thanks,

Joe

Old September 13th 05, 02:28 AM
Papa

Could be that the chrome-plated J-hooks are set too tight and need to be
adjusted. If that is the case, just back off the adjusting nut.

oups.com...

Old September 13th 05, 11:46 PM

Thanks, I'll check.

Can you tell me if the handles on the lock-down levers just pull off?

Joe

Old September 14th 05, 01:58 AM
Papa

I have an '88 Cabbie, and have installed lock handles on both sides. They
are held in place with screws. If you have a Bentley service manual, all the
details are there.

ps.com...

Old September 15th 05, 10:04 PM

I don't remember seeing any screws on the plastic handles, but I'll
check again.

Thanks,
Joe

Old September 16th 05, 03:40 AM
Papa

Plastic Handles?? I thought you were talking about the handles that latch
the convertible top closed by using the chrome-plated J-hook to pull the top
down tight. Those latches, one on the left and one on the right, are made of
steel, not plastic, and each of them are held in place with 2 fairly large
screws which are visible when the latch handle is pulled down. These latches
are located above the side doors when the top is up, near the windshield.

At least that's the way it is for all Cabbie Convertibles (Rabbit, not
Beatle) of the 1984 - 1992 vintage that I have ever seen.