Older car insurance

Old June 3rd 06, 02:06 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

Default Older car insurance

Peter Parker wrote:
> In article >,
> William J. Leary Jr. > wrote:
>
>>"Tom's VR6" > wrote in message
. ..

>>>I find that collision insurance is more of a way to limit stress in
>>>a stressful time.

>>Good point. And now that you mention it, this is at least part of what I'm
>>looking for.
>>
>>The car is going into the shop in a week or so. It's going to be $4-5K to fix
>>it. At this point I'll have $12K involved in a car with an averaged
>>replacement value of $2,500. It's not even fixed yet and I'm already afraid to
>>drive it home!
>>
>> - Bill
>>

> This can't be a watercooled VW. They are not worth collecting. Me thinks you
> should go to the aircooled group and ask your question. I'm sure as an
> ex insurance snakeoiler, you would know the older bugs are worth a lot more.
> There are insurance companies that insure collectors. You have to get the
> car appraised and show how much you put in.

WTF????

an '81 Scirocco S isn't collectible? or a Callaway turbo Scirocco? or
pretty much any Corrado? I'd be proud to own any of those and give any
one of them the same care that I give my 50-year-old cars, if I could
only find one in good condition.

geez, enough with the gratuitous dub-bashing already.

nate

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel
Old June 3rd 06, 02:56 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

"Peter Parker" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> William J. Leary Jr. > wrote:
> >The car is going into the shop in a week or so. It's going to be $4-5K to

fix
> >it. At this point I'll have $12K involved in a car with an averaged
> >replacement value of $2,500. It's not even fixed yet and I'm already afraid

> >drive it home!

> This can't be a watercooled VW. They are not worth collecting.

1987 16V Scirocco with under 114K on it. And, until a week ago, no rust or
dents or even scratches anywhere. Everything perfectly aligned (no frame
wiggle), all strut towers rust-less. It sat in a in a garage for most of eight
years.

Love is not logical or rational, even more so when applied to women or cars.

- Bill

Old June 3rd 06, 11:56 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

In article >,
Nate Nagel > wrote:
>Peter Parker wrote:
>> In article >,
>> William J. Leary Jr. > wrote:

>>>Good point. And now that you mention it, this is at least part of what I'm
>>>looking for.
>>>
>>>The car is going into the shop in a week or so. It's going to be $4-5K to fix
>>>it. At this point I'll have $12K involved in a car with an averaged
>>>replacement value of $2,500. It's not even fixed yet and I'm already afraid to
>>>drive it home!
>>>
>>> - Bill
>>>

>> This can't be a watercooled VW. They are not worth collecting. Me thinks you
>> should go to the aircooled group and ask your question. I'm sure as an
>> ex insurance snakeoiler, you would know the older bugs are worth a lot more.
>> There are insurance companies that insure collectors. You have to get the
>> car appraised and show how much you put in.
>>

>WTF????
>
>an '81 Scirocco S isn't collectible? or a Callaway turbo Scirocco? or
>pretty much any Corrado? I'd be proud to own any of those and give any
>one of them the same care that I give my 50-year-old cars, if I could
>only find one in good condition.
>
>geez, enough with the gratuitous dub-bashing already.
>
>nate
>
>--
>replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
>http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

Nope. You can still buy them cheap.

--
Jeeps and dubs and everything's nice...
Old June 4th 06, 12:18 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

In article >,
William J. Leary Jr. > wrote:
>"Peter Parker" > wrote in message
>> In article >,
>> William J. Leary Jr. > wrote:
>> >The car is going into the shop in a week or so. It's going to be $4-5K to

>fix
>> >it. At this point I'll have $12K involved in a car with an averaged
>> >replacement value of $2,500. It's not even fixed yet and I'm already afraid

>> >drive it home!

>> This can't be a watercooled VW. They are not worth collecting.

>1987 16V Scirocco with under 114K on it. And, until a week ago, no rust or
>dents or even scratches anywhere. Everything perfectly aligned (no frame
>wiggle), all strut towers rust-less. It sat in a in a garage for most of eight
>years.
>
>Love is not logical or rational, even more so when applied to women or cars.
>
> - Bill

My condolences. You know what VW stands for right? Virtually Worthless.

My herd consists of:

These I bought c h e a p. Under $2K US for all. These 3 run but are not
currently tagged. Ebay prices are now 3 times what I paid for these. So
maybe times are changing?

1986 Golf Diesel 285K miles
1989 16V GTI 138K miles
1991 ECOdiesel 201K miles

I bought this for $13K US back in 1994. MSRP was $17K. It was a forced
sell and only had 7500 miles on it ad the time. This is by far the best
and most reliable VW I have.

1994 2.0L Jetta 209K miles

I got this Jeep c h e a p for less than the 3 amigo VWs above. Runs great
with an I6 and I can't kill it. It reminds me of the VW bug being so
modular and easy to work on. I know this isn't a VW but look at the mileage
and it's the only US domestic vehicle type that lasts just as long as the
older VW.

1994 Jeep YJ Sahara 209K miles

IMHO, the aircooled bugs can go for over $10K US easy if you have the
right one. Nate tried to make a point with his but collectors are
just not doing the high price water cooled collection yet. I wouldn't
mind having an A2 Synco but I wouldn't spend 12K for it....

I used to have a 1976 FI bug but that got totalled. At the time I should
have just bought it back from the insurance company. I wasn't thinking.

--
Jeeps and dubs and everything's nice...
Old June 4th 06, 01:50 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

Peter Parker wrote:
> In article >,
> Nate Nagel > wrote:
>
>>Peter Parker wrote:

m...

>>>This can't be a watercooled VW. They are not worth collecting. Me thinks you
>>>should go to the aircooled group and ask your question. I'm sure as an
>>>ex insurance snakeoiler, you would know the older bugs are worth a lot more.
>>>There are insurance companies that insure collectors. You have to get the
>>>car appraised and show how much you put in.
>>>

>>WTF????
>>
>>an '81 Scirocco S isn't collectible? or a Callaway turbo Scirocco? or
>>pretty much any Corrado? I'd be proud to own any of those and give any
>>one of them the same care that I give my 50-year-old cars, if I could
>>only find one in good condition.
>>
>>geez, enough with the gratuitous dub-bashing already.
>>
>>nate
>>
>>--
>>replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
>>http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

> Nope. You can still buy them cheap.

fine, find me a cheap early Scirocco in good condition so I can buy it.

nate

(been keeping half an eye out for years...)

Old June 4th 06, 02:53 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

"Nate Nagel" > wrote in message
> Peter Parker wrote:
> > Nope. You can still buy them cheap.
> >

> fine, find me a cheap early Scirocco in good condition so I can buy it.

There's the operative phrase. "...in good condition..." I can find a dozen
16V Scirocco's, some even in "good" condition, at least that's what the ads
say. And I don't worry TOO much about the mechanicals if the engine and
transmission are OK. But an excellent condition body is damn rare. I found
two or three others when I was looking. All of them in far away places which
would have forced me to either fly there to check them out, then drive them
back, or buy them sight unseen and have them shipped to me. This one was (and,
really, mostly still is) excellent, and it was right where I could look at it
and test drive it and, as an added benefit, have a friend who's mechanic
specialzing in water cooled VW's look it over.

> (been keeping half an eye out for years...)

Please contact me via e-mail (that's my real address there). By "early" I
assume you mean the first generation. Round headlights, spoiler built into the
hatch rather than bolted on, and so forth. There's a pretty healthy looking
one a couple of towns over from where I live. I drive past it once a month or
so. If we're anywhere near each other, I could stop by and talk to the owner
if you'd like and, if he's interested, take a few pictures and send them to
you.

- Bill