VW Golf Stalling Problem

Old July 30th 05, 01:11 AM
Alfaman

Default VW Golf Stalling Problem

I have a 2000 VW Golf GLS 2.0, with 111k mi. It has developed an
intersting problem. For a long while it had a rough idle when warm.
It was a sort of gentle chug-chug when you stopped at a light or
something. I just took it in for an oil change and now when I got it
back, it idles alright, but when you step on the gas it revs to 2000
rpm then starts to stall. The rpms start to drop down to 500.

Can any one help me figure out what is going on?

Thanks,
Ken

Old July 30th 05, 05:46 AM
dave AKA vwdoc1

Any DTCs?

ups.com...

Old July 30th 05, 02:16 PM
Alfaman

I am not sure how to get the codes off of the computer. The check
engine light has been on for the last 25k mi. The mechnanic said there
were no codes indicating something was wrong with the car.

Thanks for your help.

Old July 30th 05, 04:48 PM
dave AKA vwdoc1

then what were the codes telling that "technician" if not something wrong
with the car?
I think you have a single ignition coil and maybe that could be the problem,
or the Engine Speed Sensor (AKA Crank Position Sensor) or the Cam Position
Sensor which might be the distributor if so equipped.

A vag-com tool with a laptop, will allow you to read the codes properly.
I prefer the real tool from ross-tech.com, but copies are sold on Ebay for
around $30-40.

good luck!

later,
dave
(One out of many daves)

oups.com...

Old July 30th 05, 06:39 PM
Woodchuck

If it was OK before the oil change then take a close look for the MAF
unplugged or the MAF intake hose being loose. Around here the quickie, I'm
cheaper than the dealer oil change shops... we find they inspect the air
filters and never put the car back together correctly.

ups.com...

Old July 31st 05, 01:32 AM
dave AKA vwdoc1

could it be too much oil in the engine too?

Old July 31st 05, 05:19 AM
Alfaman

I spent the afternoon working on it. I thought it might be the boot
between the air intake box and the TB leaking when the revs cause the
engine to cant forward. It looked loose at the throttle body. I took
it apart and reattached the spring clamps more tightly and got a better
seat, improving the seal. That seemed to fix it for now, but I am not
exactly sure that I didn't just burn off the extra oil while I was
revving the engine.

I bought a new fuel filter, but could not get the old one out. I took
it to a local Midas, which did not have the tools to pull the filter,
so I've got to take it to the dealer.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Ken