Can this Type 4 85-90C thermostat be used on a 1973 beetle with atype 1 engine?

Old December 13th 10, 06:25 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Jim Ed

Default Can this Type 4 85-90C thermostat be used on a 1973 beetle with atype 1 engine?

Can this Type 4 85-90C thermostat be used on a 1973 beetle with a type
1 engine?

VW NOS type 4 bus thermostat 85/90 deg Price: $125 shipped

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifie...php?id=1067055

TIA!

Old December 14th 10, 02:20 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Jim Ed

I could remove the threaded fitting from a Type 1 thermostat and
attempt to thread it onto the Type 4 thermostat so it would fit on a
Type 1 engine.
But, if I unscrew that fitting, would it harm the Type 1 thermostat?
I could try heating it up first to make it easier to remove.
I think the heat range would be OK since these were used on
1975-1975 Beetles with Fuel injection.

Old December 14th 10, 01:37 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Taylor

On Dec 13, 12:25*pm, Jim Ed > wrote:
> Can this Type 4 85-90C thermostat be used on a 1973 beetle with a type
> 1 engine?
>
> VW NOS type 4 bus thermostat 85/90 deg * Price: $125 shipped
>
> http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifie...php?id=1067055

Have you seen these Type 1 thermostTs listed? Not new but a little
lower in price and no mod needed. I have purchased from this vendor
(awesome powdercoat) and they are a good company that is interested in
quality.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifie...php?id=1062980

Tim
Old December 14th 10, 09:08 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Jim Ed

On Dec 14, 7:37*am, Taylor > wrote:
> On Dec 13, 12:25*pm, Jim Ed > wrote:
>
> > Can this Type 4 85-90C thermostat be used on a 1973 beetle with a type
> > 1 engine?

> > VW NOS type 4 bus thermostat 85/90 deg * Price: $125 shipped

> >http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifie...php?id=1067055

> Have you seen these Type 1 thermostTs listed? Not new but a little
> lower in price and no mod needed. I have purchased from this vendor
> (awesome powdercoat) and they are a good company that is interested in
> quality.http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifie...php?id=1062980
>
> Tim

I clicked the link and e-mailed the advertiser.
He said he could ask the factory to make me one that opens at 80-85C.
"The bottom female threads are stock 8MX1.25 & the top male thread is
4MX0.7 for the stock vertical control rod. "

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifie...php?id=1067055