Bob Hoover

Old November 26th 10, 05:21 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
DogDiesel

Default Bob Hoover

Would I be wrong to assume that Bob Hoover really liked to work on VW junk.
Or was he getting these jjunkers and fixing them out of necessity. Im in
the middle of saving the Grendel Affair. Between reading half pages. Im
reading the stuff where he was repairing the bus before the trip. And its
clear it was a piece of crap. Did he ever get himself a really nice
vehicle. Or did he eventually give up and switch to airplanes .

On a further note. There's a business near Cleveland On I90. And behind
it , somebody is collecting VW clunkers. A whole bunch of busses are there.
But theres Bugs, Karmens, misc. They have been piling up there for over a
decade. maybe 2. I remember when there were about 10 or so. There's at
least 100, maybe double. I never stopped there to get a good look. But they
are all parked against the back fence. Im sure None of which run. All on
tires , but you can see they are all pretty rusty.

You dont suspose whoever they belong too might want to get off of one, Do
you? That I could drag home.

Old November 26th 10, 05:44 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
John J Stafford

In article >,
"DogDiesel" > wrote:

> Would I be wrong to assume that Bob Hoover really liked to work on VW junk.
> Or was he getting these jjunkers and fixing them out of necessity. Im in
> the middle of saving the Grendel Affair. Between reading half pages. Im
> reading the stuff where he was repairing the bus before the trip. And its
> clear it was a piece of crap. Did he ever get himself a really nice
> vehicle. Or did he eventually give up and switch to airplanes .

Innuendo is not appreciated. Bob had a unique philosophy - keep it
simple, correct, and running. He rose to certain challenges. He did not
give up to take airplanes. You might be thinking of a different Bob
Hoover.
Old November 26th 10, 06:10 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
DogDiesel

"John J Stafford" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "DogDiesel" > wrote:
>
>> Would I be wrong to assume that Bob Hoover really liked to work on VW
>> junk.
>> Or was he getting these jjunkers and fixing them out of necessity. Im
>> in
>> the middle of saving the Grendel Affair. Between reading half pages. Im
>> reading the stuff where he was repairing the bus before the trip. And its
>> clear it was a piece of crap. Did he ever get himself a really nice
>> vehicle. Or did he eventually give up and switch to airplanes .

> Innuendo is not appreciated. Bob had a unique philosophy - keep it
> simple, correct, and running. He rose to certain challenges. He did not
> give up to take airplanes. You might be thinking of a different Bob
> Hoover.

No I'm not thinking of the other Bob Hoover. After he pulled the sermons He
put VW engines in airplanes. And worked on them . He said he moved on to
other things. Which can be interpreted as he decided enough of the rust and
headaches. Which really don't exist on aircraft. Well rust doesn't.
Philosophy aside . After reading his first inspection of Grendel. It was
clear to him the vehicle had been wrecked numerous times and hard. It had
major rust that compromised the structure. And he decided to save the
vehicle anyways. I don't know what vehicles he wrote about. Or he owned.
Which is why I asked. Did he really like working on junk. Or did he have
too.

I live in the rust belt. So the KISS principal applies. I'm the proud
owner of an 82 Chevy Suburban that weighs 500 lbs less then it was made. Due
to rust. Its not worth scrap value but it gets me everywhere without fail.
When I need it too. But eventually here rust kills the vehicle. And
substantial bodywork is waste of time.

Old November 27th 10, 01:55 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Jack[_29_]

As far as the Busses near I-90, you might want to ask at www.LEAKOIL.net .

Old November 27th 10, 01:06 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Karls

On Nov 26, 2:10*pm, "DogDiesel" > wrote:
> "John J Stafford" > wrote in ...
> > In article >,
> > "DogDiesel" > wrote:

> >> Would I be wrong to assume that Bob Hoover *really liked to work on VW
> >> junk.
> >> Or was he getting these jjunkers and fixing them out of necessity. * Im
> >> in
> >> the middle of saving the Grendel Affair. Between reading half pages. Im
> >> reading the stuff where he was repairing the bus before the trip. And its
> >> clear it was a piece of crap. *Did he ever get himself a really nice
> >> vehicle. *Or did he eventually give up and switch to airplanes .

> > Innuendo is not appreciated. Bob had a unique philosophy - keep it
> > simple, correct, and running. He rose to certain challenges. He did not
> > give up to take airplanes. You might be thinking of a different Bob
> > Hoover.

> No I'm not thinking of the other Bob Hoover. After he pulled the sermons He
> put VW engines in airplanes. *And worked on them . *He said he moved on to
> other things. Which can be interpreted as he decided enough of the rust and
> headaches. Which really don't exist on aircraft. Well rust doesn't.
> Philosophy aside *. * After reading his first inspection of Grendel. It was
> clear to him the vehicle had been wrecked numerous times and hard. *It had
> major rust that compromised the structure. * And he decided to save the
> vehicle anyways. *I don't know what vehicles he wrote about. Or he owned.
> Which is why I asked. *Did he really like working on junk. Or did he have
> too.
>
> * I live in the rust belt. *So the KISS principal applies. I'm the proud
> owner of an 82 Chevy Suburban that weighs 500 lbs less then it was made. Due
> to rust. *Its not worth scrap value but it gets me everywhere without fail.
> When I need it too. * But eventually here rust kills the vehicle. *And
> substantial bodywork is waste of time.

If Bob decided that it was worth saving grendel, I take his word for
it. My ´70 bug started rusting the tunnel and heater channels due to a
previous badly done resto, and I intend to restore ir.

I can recall at least 6 VW mentioned by Bob, some better, some worse,
but all hard lived. Where Bob lived rust is not that much of a
problem, so He could afford to take his time fixing it.

About the suburban, how does it weight less? rusted iron/steel is
heavier than unrusted. Does it have 500lb of holes???

Karls

Old November 27th 10, 04:23 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
DogDiesel

Absolutely, has 500 lbs of holes.

Karls

Old November 29th 10, 07:03 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
AircooledJohn

If you read the Grendel Files in depth, you should be able to follow
the thought process Bob had. Originally it started out as him
traveling to buy a buy that sounded like a good deal. It was
misrepresented by the seller. Bob bought it. Then he kept discovering
more and more wrong with it. It was also apparent by the lack of help
by the seller, that the seller figured Bob would eventually abandon
the bus, and the seller could keep the money and sell it again,
because Bob was so far from home.

THIS became Bob's motivation to complete the task. He did NOT want
that scumbag to have the pleasure of screwing someone over. If you
have ever been faced with a monumental task, you have to have
SOMETHING to cling onto to keep you going, regardless of how silly it
may seem. This was Bob's for THAT task. And he succeeded, which
effectively gave the bad guy the finger without him having to do it
directly.

John
Aircooled.Net Inc
Old November 30th 10, 05:14 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
DogDiesel

"AircooledJohn" > wrote in message
> If you read the Grendel Files in depth, you should be able to follow
> the thought process Bob had. Originally it started out as him
> traveling to buy a buy that sounded like a good deal. It was
> misrepresented by the seller. Bob bought it. Then he kept discovering
> more and more wrong with it. It was also apparent by the lack of help
> by the seller, that the seller figured Bob would eventually abandon
> the bus, and the seller could keep the money and sell it again,
> because Bob was so far from home.

> THIS became Bob's motivation to complete the task. He did NOT want
> that scumbag to have the pleasure of screwing someone over. If you
> have ever been faced with a monumental task, you have to have
> SOMETHING to cling onto to keep you going, regardless of how silly it
> may seem.

Been there done that.

This was Bob's for THAT task. And he succeeded, which
> effectively gave the bad guy the finger without him having to do it
> directly.
>
> John
> Aircooled.Net Inc

I haven't read this part yet. A similar story to many people with cars.
Or people who buy things sight unseen. I'm seeing it a As a great people
victory then.

Old December 1st 10, 10:11 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
AircooledJohn

My post is MY view on what drove him as things got tougher. Everyone
has their own source of motivation, whatever works. Now that the
subject has come up I wish I could ask him!
Old December 7th 10, 07:07 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
DogDiesel

"Jack" > wrote in message

> "DogDiesel" > wrote in message
>> Would I be wrong to assume that Bob Hoover really liked to work on VW
>> junk. Or was he getting these jjunkers and fixing them out of necessity.
>> Im in the middle of saving the Grendel Affair. Between reading half
>> pages. Im reading the stuff where he was repairing the bus before the
>> trip. And its clear it was a piece of crap. Did he ever get himself a
>> really nice vehicle. Or did he eventually give up and switch to
>> airplanes .
>>
>> On a further note. There's a business near Cleveland On I90. And
>> behind it , somebody is collecting VW clunkers. A whole bunch of busses
>> are there. But theres Bugs, Karmens, misc. They have been piling up
>> there for over a decade. maybe 2. I remember when there were about 10 or
>> so. There's at least 100, maybe double. I never stopped there to get a
>> good look. But they are all parked against the back fence. Im sure None
>> of which run. All on tires , but you can see they are all pretty rusty.
>>
>> You dont suspose whoever they belong too might want to get off of one, Do
>> you? That I could drag home.

> As far as the Busses near I-90, you might want to ask at www.LEAKOIL.net .

Their meetings are 15 minutes away. Might be a good thing to attend.
Mossies where my ex and I went for dinner when we got married. I hope she
don't show up.