Sometimes you can just tell its a good one.

Old December 7th 10, 07:00 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
DogDiesel

Default Sometimes you can just tell its a good one.

Sometimes you can just tell a VW would be a good one by the ad. Even when
the picture isnt so hot.

http://erie.craigslist.org/clt/2063157977.html

My fund is at $1500 and climbing . I added $350 this month. But I had
to give my Bro $200 of it.

Diesel.

Old December 10th 10, 09:23 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
[email protected][_1_]

> Sometimes you can just tell a VW would be a good one by the ad. Even when
> the picture isnt so hot.
>
> http://erie.craigslist.org/clt/2063157977.html
>
> My fund is at *$1500 and climbing * . *I added $350 this month. *But I had
> to give my Bro $200 of it.

Having been down this road a few times myself, I would reserve making
the call on a good versus bad example until you see it in person. I've
seen quite a few that looked nice from the pictures, "runs like a top"
according to the owner, but turns out to be a pile of junk with
critical parts missing from the engine, bad brakes, rust on the pans,
etc etc. I just love to tell the story of the one bug I went to look
at it. One side was perfect, shiny paint, etc. That was the side the
picture was taken from. The other side had some nice body damage.
Moving to the engine, it had the cooling fan shroud, but nothing else.
No forward/rear tin, no cylinder tin, no pulley tin, no sled tin
underneath..when I asked the guy abut it he said "I took it all off so
it would run cooler"(!) I think he wanted $2800 for it.

Uh huh......Buyer beware.

Chris
Old December 11th 10, 11:58 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
John J Stafford

Good ACVWs are expensive. Forget the myth that you can find a reliable
piece of transportation cheap - unless you find a low-mileage seventies
Chevy. ACVWs are not inherently reliable.

Get over it.
Old December 12th 10, 02:58 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Jan Andersson[_5_]

On 12/11/2010 6:58 PM, John J Stafford wrote:
> Good ACVWs are expensive. Forget the myth that you can find a reliable
> piece of transportation cheap - unless you find a low-mileage seventies
> Chevy. ACVWs are not inherently reliable.
>
> Get over it.

They ask MORE for old aircooled VW's than they do for late 90's to early
2000's basic transportation in good driving condition.
Old December 12th 10, 05:51 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
John[_28_]

In Aust a "heap can be had for ~$1000 if you can be bothered spending
another $3000-4000 getting it registerable and reliable. Noticably there is
a gap in price then to around $5000 when you start to get something basic
that either hasnt been butchered by somebody with a hacksaw or is in a
state that wont boost the retirement fund of a mechanic. Its cars that old ,
that were not "inherently reliable" I suspect. When I think of the grief my
Dad had with his GMH thing from new with rust , main bearings being ground
out of alignment. When you compare the piston speed of a typical long stroke
English car against a VW at the same speed you can see why their engines
wore out quickly in Aust ( FWD Morris 1500 needing rebores at 18000 miles).
John

Old December 12th 10, 08:37 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
John J Stafford

In article >,
"John" > wrote:

> In Aust a "heap can be had for ~$1000 if you can be bothered spending
> another $3000-4000 getting it registerable and reliable. Noticably there is
> a gap in price then to around $5000 when you start to get something basic
> that either hasnt been butchered by somebody with a hacksaw or is in a
> state that wont boost the retirement fund of a mechanic. Its cars that old ,
> that were not "inherently reliable" I suspect. When I think of the grief my
> Dad had with his GMH thing from new with rust , main bearings being ground
> out of alignment. When you compare the piston speed of a typical long stroke
> English car against a VW at the same speed you can see why their engines
> wore out quickly in Aust ( FWD Morris 1500 needing rebores at 18000 miles).
> John

Well, that along with Jan's post is encouraging. I suspect that putting
For Sale signs on my bugs, then parking them by the local University for
a few days before, and including graduation day just might sell them to
Mom and Dad. I got one potential buyer for the '72 who said, "I just
love them Bugs because my daughter wants one and if it don't do over
65mph, I'll buy it."
Old December 13th 10, 12:36 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
John J Stafford

http://www.digoliardi.net/sunday3.jpg

We are literally overwhelmed with snow. 23 inches this weekend.
Old December 13th 10, 01:20 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
DogDiesel

"John J Stafford" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "John" > wrote:
>
>> In Aust a "heap can be had for ~$1000 if you can be bothered spending
>> another $3000-4000 getting it registerable and reliable. Noticably there
>> is
>> a gap in price then to around $5000 when you start to get something
>> basic
>> that either hasnt been butchered by somebody with a hacksaw or is in a
>> state that wont boost the retirement fund of a mechanic. Its cars that
>> old ,
>> that were not "inherently reliable" I suspect. When I think of the grief
>> my
>> Dad had with his GMH thing from new with rust , main bearings being
>> ground
>> out of alignment. When you compare the piston speed of a typical long
>> stroke
>> English car against a VW at the same speed you can see why their engines
>> wore out quickly in Aust ( FWD Morris 1500 needing rebores at 18000
>> miles).
>> John

Would thst be the Mister Bean car??? That is one of my favorites.

Old December 13th 10, 07:06 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
John[_28_]

It was a developed Morris 1100 which was the next size up from the Morris
850 ( Mini) which was Mr Beans car. After they had developed the engine up
to maximun bore at 1275 cc ( you could go 1310cc if you didnt mind putting a
new engine in with the oil) they made the alloy engined horror , the Morris
1500.
BMC collpased shortly after
Like you say, huge amounts of character.
John

Old December 13th 10, 09:35 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Tuomas

On 13/12/10 02:36, John J Stafford wrote:
> http://www.digoliardi.net/sunday3.jpg
>
> We are literally overwhelmed with snow. 23 inches this weekend.

Whoa!

We have only 12" here (=southern Finland) but it's about three times the
normal (at this time of year) and it came down just in three weeks. There's
huge snow banks everywhere as they still haven't have time to haul it away.

I've shoveled my daily driver out about four times from a solid snow bank
now, although not like those in your picture.

--
Tuomas - VWs:'63 typ14, '65 typ34 & '61 typ2