What Is the Best Fuel Pump for Ethanol Gas?

Old January 16th 11, 01:09 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Jim Ed

Default What Is the Best Fuel Pump for Ethanol Gas?

My Beetle’s engine stalled today while I was on the highway.

First I thought it was caused by vapor lock.

I waited for it to cool off.

In an attempt to cool it off, I even squirted some yellow liquid on it
when no vehicles were coming .

Fuel was getting to the fuel pump but, it would not pump.

Maybe the fuel pump push rod had worn down and there was not enough
pressure to pump the gas.

Maybe the ethanol gas had worn a hole in the fuel pumps’ diaphragm.

Maybe I will start carrying a spare fuel pump, block, and push rod
and replace it every three years and check the fuel pump pressure once
a year.

What could it be?

What about the electric fuel pumps? Are they any more reliable?
I suppose they would wear out just as fast with the ethanol gas.

Any help is appreciated!
Old January 16th 11, 05:01 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
John[_28_]

Push rod hadn,t jammed in block?. Definitely wasn,t ignition issues? Fuel
filter not blocked?. On my cars vapour lock didn,t occur when running but
after I stop a while and the heat rises. Wont start then. Pump could be
just .........ed.
John

Old January 16th 11, 02:00 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Nate Nagel[_2_]

On 01/15/2011 08:09 PM, Jim Ed wrote:
> My Beetle’s engine stalled today while I was on the highway.
>
> First I thought it was caused by vapor lock.
>
> I waited for it to cool off.
>
> In an attempt to cool it off, I even squirted some yellow liquid on it
> when no vehicles were coming .
>
> Fuel was getting to the fuel pump but, it would not pump.
>
> Maybe the fuel pump push rod had worn down and there was not enough
> pressure to pump the gas.
>
> Maybe the ethanol gas had worn a hole in the fuel pumps’ diaphragm.
>
> Maybe I will start carrying a spare fuel pump, block, and push rod
> and replace it every three years and check the fuel pump pressure once
> a year.
>
> What could it be?
>
> What about the electric fuel pumps? Are they any more reliable?
> I suppose they would wear out just as fast with the ethanol gas.
>
> Any help is appreciated!

if you have a mech pump you have a vehicle that has got to be close to
30 years old MINIMUM - that's byond the design life of any fuel pump

check your oil, if it smells like fuel, change it

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Old January 16th 11, 05:16 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Jim Ed

> if you have a mech pump you have a vehicle that has got to be close to
> 30 years old MINIMUM - that's byond the design life of any fuel pump
>
> check your oil, if it smells like fuel, change it
>
> nate
>
> --
> replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.http://members.cox.net/njnagel

This is a 1973 Beetle.
I installed the fuel pump in March 2008.

I will check it today or tomorrow.
I really think it is a worn push rod.

How many bakelight gaskets go on top of the fuel pump?
Correct me if I am wrong. Fuel pump pressure should be 3.5 to 5
p.s.i.?
TIA!
Old January 16th 11, 06:26 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Nate Nagel[_2_]

On 01/16/2011 12:16 PM, Jim Ed wrote:

>> if you have a mech pump you have a vehicle that has got to be close to
>> 30 years old MINIMUM - that's byond the design life of any fuel pump
>>
>> check your oil, if it smells like fuel, change it
>>
>> nate
>>
>> --
>> replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.http://members.cox.net/njnagel

> This is a 1973 Beetle.
> I installed the fuel pump in March 2008.
>
> I will check it today or tomorrow.
> I really think it is a worn push rod.
>
> How many bakelight gaskets go on top of the fuel pump?
> Correct me if I am wrong. Fuel pump pressure should be 3.5 to 5
> p.s.i.?
> TIA!

I don't know the answer to your last question, but is the FP
rebuildable? or is it a sealed unit? If the former you may be able to
buy a new diaphragm made from modern alcohol-resistant materials. "the
cellar" is one source.

nate

Old January 16th 11, 06:53 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
John Henderson

Jim Ed wrote:

> Correct me if I am wrong. Fuel pump pressure should be 3.5 to 5
> p.s.i.?

2.8 psi maximum delivery pressure for models from 1960 to 1968
according to my 1968 "Without Guesswork". Older engines had a
lower maximum (1.8 or 2.5 psi).

John
Old January 16th 11, 07:24 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
John Henderson

I wrote:

> 2.8 psi maximum delivery pressure for models from 1960 to 1968
> according to my 1968 "Without Guesswork". Older engines had a
> lower maximum (1.8 or 2.5 psi).

I found a 1972 copy of "Without Guesswork" online, and it gives a
maximum of 3-5 psi for that year's type 1 engines. So that's
likely right for yours.

http://oacdp.org/wog72/024_k.png

John

Old January 17th 11, 01:14 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Jim Ed

On Jan 15, 7:09*pm, Jim Ed > wrote:
> My Beetle’s engine stalled today while I was on the highway.
>
> First I thought it was caused by vapor lock.
>
> *I waited for it to cool off.
>
> In an attempt to cool it off, I even squirted some yellow liquid on it
> when no vehicles were coming .
>
> Fuel was getting to the fuel pump but, it would not pump.
>
> Maybe the fuel pump push rod had worn down and there was not enough
> pressure to pump the gas.
>
> Maybe the ethanol gas had worn a hole in the fuel pumps’ diaphragm.
>
> Maybe I will start carrying a spare fuel pump, block, and push rod
> and replace it every three years and check the fuel pump pressure once
> a year.
>
> What could it be?
>
> What about the electric fuel pumps? Are they any more reliable?
> I suppose they would wear out just as fast with the ethanol gas.
>
> Any help is appreciated!

I looked up the specs for my 1973 Beetle with alternator.

The pushrod maximum stroke should be 5 mm.
The fuel pump pressure should be 3 to 5 p.s.i.

I am going to try replacing the pushrod and setting the stroke to 5
mm.
Then if that doesn't work, I am going to try an old fuel pump I have
sitting on the shelf.

Then later on I plan to inspect or replace the pushrod once a year and
replace the fuel pump every 3 to 5 years.
Old January 18th 11, 09:19 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
John Henderson

Jim Ed wrote:

> Then later on I plan to inspect or replace the pushrod once a year and
> replace the fuel pump every 3 to 5 years.

If the pushrod doesn't last, it's poor quality. I'd expect
100,000 miles minimum from the original.

Pump diaphrams might not last that long, and are not hard to
replace. Some might not tolerate ethanol very well.

John
Old January 18th 11, 11:44 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
G_Group

On Jan 18, 3:19*am, John Henderson > wrote:
> Jim Ed wrote:
> > Then later on I plan to inspect or replace the pushrod once a year and
> > replace the fuel pump every 3 to 5 years.

> If the pushrod doesn't last, it's poor quality. *I'd expect
> 100,000 miles minimum from the original.
>
> Pump diaphrams might not last that long, and are not hard to
> replace. *Some might not tolerate ethanol very well.
>
> John

Yep. I do not recall ever having a pushrod wear out on a Beetle. The
engine will need rebuilding first. You can usually adjust the height
it throws with gaskets/shims anyway.
KWW
65 Beetle The IOC
64 Beetle The Blue Wave