Dodge Stratus ES '96 oil pressure light comes on

Old February 2nd 05, 09:11 PM

Default Dodge Stratus ES '96 oil pressure light comes on

Hi,

I have a Dodge Stratus ES '96 with 130K miles on it. Lately the oil
pressure light has come on. I just changed oil (10W-30) and the oil
level is full (not too full though).

The light only comes on after the engine is warm and it is running on
idle. As soon as I step on the gas pedal the light turnes off. (The
idle speed is about 750rpm). It seems like the engine speed when the
light goes off is variable, maybe related to how warm the engine is?
Sometimes when I stop at a stop light, it is enough to just put the
transmission in neutral (increasing the engine rpm to 750) to get the
light to turn off.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Olav

Old February 2nd 05, 09:21 PM
maxpower

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hi,
>
> I have a Dodge Stratus ES '96 with 130K miles on it. Lately the oil
> pressure light has come on. I just changed oil (10W-30) and the oil
> level is full (not too full though).
>
> The light only comes on after the engine is warm and it is running on
> idle. As soon as I step on the gas pedal the light turnes off. (The
> idle speed is about 750rpm). It seems like the engine speed when the
> light goes off is variable, maybe related to how warm the engine is?
> Sometimes when I stop at a stop light, it is enough to just put the
> transmission in neutral (increasing the engine rpm to 750) to get the
> light to turn off.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Olav

Could be just a faulty oil sending unit. If it is leaking replace it. If
not, have someone manually test your oil pressure with an external gauge, if
the pressure is ok, replace the sending unit
Glenn Beasley
Chrysler Tech

Old February 2nd 05, 09:23 PM
Ralf Ballis

I would you recommend to use 15W-40 for a motor with this miles.
If the problem reoccurs, how about oil filter or then check oil pump.

Regards,

Ralf
--
www.omnibusclub.de
Old February 3rd 05, 02:26 AM
Bill Putney

maxpower wrote:

> > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>I have a Dodge Stratus ES '96 with 130K miles on it. Lately the oil
>>pressure light has come on. I just changed oil (10W-30) and the oil
>>level is full (not too full though).
>>
>>The light only comes on after the engine is warm and it is running on
>>idle. As soon as I step on the gas pedal the light turnes off. (The
>>idle speed is about 750rpm). It seems like the engine speed when the
>>light goes off is variable, maybe related to how warm the engine is?
>>Sometimes when I stop at a stop light, it is enough to just put the
>>transmission in neutral (increasing the engine rpm to 750) to get the
>>light to turn off.
>>
>>Any ideas?
>>
>>Thanks,
>>
>>Olav
>>

> Could be just a faulty oil sending unit. If it is leaking replace it. If
> not, have someone manually test your oil pressure with an external gauge, if
> the pressure is ok, replace the sending unit
> Glenn Beasley
> Chrysler Tech

I agree - classic symptoms of bad pressure switch. When the switch gets
marginal like that, small changes in idle speed can mean the difference
between a closed or open pressure switch (lit and unlit dash light) due
to minor fluctuations in oil pressure.

Bill Putney
adddress with the letter 'x')
Old February 3rd 05, 04:37 PM

Thanks for your answer. Why does this happen only when the engine is
warm?

Also, does anyone know what the "idle" speed should be when the
transmission is in "drive" and the car is still? Mine decreases to
almost 500rpm.

Thanks again,

Olav

Old February 3rd 05, 11:15 PM
Icky

Replace the PCV valve. I had exact same problem and it cured mine. I
theorized that my engine (2.5L) was running a little rough at idle - just
enough to lower the rpm's so that oil pump wasn't pumping enough pressure.
I replaced the PCV valve and the idle smoothed out and the light hasn't come
on for last 9,000 kms.

oups.com...