1997 ZJ 5.2 clunking and vibrating

Old June 28th 14, 07:18 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
J. Clarke[_4_]

Default 1997 ZJ 5.2 clunking and vibrating

The ZJ has been vibrating a bit for a while. Last week it got progressively worse and in a parking lot I felt a distinct side-to-side component at around 5-10 mph--I stopped and checked the lug nuts for fear that a wheel was coming loose. Note that this is _not_ the Death Wobble--I had that a while back and this is distinctly different. There has also been a clunking sound every time I hit a bump for a while.

Today I got under it and looked for loose and/or bent stuff. The only thing I found is that the left front CV joint boot is entirely missing and the wheel turns about 1/8 turn without the shaft turning. I'm pretty sure I've found the problem. I looked at the other side and it's fine, as expected--I replaced that shaft about 20,000 miles back.

The plan is to get a rebuilt shaft and joint from NAPA for 55 bucks and while I've got things apart I have a nearly new Timken bearing that I may as well put in (long story). I know about scraping the crud out of the axle tube and lining it with something to keep from shoving dirt into the differential.

So, before I spend money any other thoughts?

Old June 28th 14, 10:13 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
DougW[_4_]

J. Clarke wrote:

> The plan is to get a rebuilt shaft and joint from NAPA for 55 bucks
> and while I've got things apart I have a nearly new Timken bearing
> that I may as well put in (long story). I know about scraping the
> crud out of the axle tube and lining it with something to keep from
> shoving dirt into the differential.
>
> So, before I spend money any other thoughts?

Yep

http://www.revbeergoggles.com/temp/oomph.jpg

That last bolt was a pain in the butt. So I put we bit of extra
pressure on the breaker bar. Now is a time to mention cheap
chinese crap sockets?
http://www.revbeergoggles.com/temp/b0rk-sockets.jpg
(yep, did that with the jack)

...holy crap, OEM axles are expensive now..

Replaced drivers side way back when and just replace a smiling
boot on the passenger side a few months ago. Built a sraper
using a big washer and some threaded rod. Just cut about half
the washer off so I could get it in and over the crud, turn it
over, and scrape stuff out. Did change the diff fluid anyway,
just to be sure. That and it's fairly painless.

Other than that, watch the brake sensor and wire. Nearly ripped
the wires off mine being st00pid.

--
DougW

Old July 17th 14, 04:43 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
J. Clarke[_4_]

On Saturday, June 28, 2014 5:13:29 PM UTC-4, DougW wrote:
> J. Clarke wrote:
>

> > The plan is to get a rebuilt shaft and joint from NAPA for 55 bucks

> > and while I've got things apart I have a nearly new Timken bearing

> > that I may as well put in (long story). I know about scraping the

> > crud out of the axle tube and lining it with something to keep from

> > shoving dirt into the differential.

> > So, before I spend money any other thoughts?

> Yep
>

> http://www.revbeergoggles.com/temp/oomph.jpg
>

> That last bolt was a pain in the butt. So I put we bit of extra
>
> pressure on the breaker bar. Now is a time to mention cheap
>
> chinese crap sockets?
>
> http://www.revbeergoggles.com/temp/b0rk-sockets.jpg
>
> (yep, did that with the jack)
>

> ..holy crap, OEM axles are expensive now..
>

> Replaced drivers side way back when and just replace a smiling
>
> boot on the passenger side a few months ago. Built a sraper
>
> using a big washer and some threaded rod. Just cut about half
>
> the washer off so I could get it in and over the crud, turn it
>
> over, and scrape stuff out. Did change the diff fluid anyway,
>
> just to be sure. That and it's fairly painless.
>

> Other than that, watch the brake sensor and wire. Nearly ripped
>
> the wires off mine being st00pid.
>

> --
>
> DougW

Well, replacing the CV and bearing was uneventful, but didn't fix the problem. I was going to take another look at it this weekend but it resolved itself. The right rear went off like it had a grenade in it--tread flying a huge hole with shredded steel belt sticking out of it, it was spectacular. It now has four new tires (they were more than 10 years old--I alternate summer and winter tires and ride a motorcycle most days in the summer, so the summer tires don't get much use) and no vibration.
Old July 17th 14, 11:22 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
DougW[_4_]

J. Clarke wrote:

> Well, replacing the CV and bearing was uneventful, but didn't fix the
> problem. I was going to take another look at it this weekend but it
> resolved itself. The right rear went off like it had a grenade in
> it--tread flying a huge hole with shredded steel belt sticking out of
> it, it was spectacular. It now has four new tires (they were more
> than 10 years old--I alternate summer and winter tires and ride a
> motorcycle most days in the summer, so the summer tires don't get
> much use) and no vibration.

Belts seperated? !! Don't see that too often. I've seen a tire
blow a bubble in the sidewall though... dang rock bit me. :/

Glad it was a rear tire!

--
DougW

Old July 31st 14, 06:41 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
J. Clarke[_4_]

On Thursday, July 17, 2014 6:22:13 PM UTC-4, DougW wrote:
> J. Clarke wrote:
>

> > Well, replacing the CV and bearing was uneventful, but didn't fix the

> > problem. I was going to take another look at it this weekend but it

> > resolved itself. The right rear went off like it had a grenade in

> > it--tread flying a huge hole with shredded steel belt sticking out of

> > it, it was spectacular. It now has four new tires (they were more

> > than 10 years old--I alternate summer and winter tires and ride a

> > motorcycle most days in the summer, so the summer tires don't get

> > much use) and no vibration.

> Belts seperated? !! Don't see that too often. I've seen a tire
>
> blow a bubble in the sidewall though... dang rock bit me. :/
>

> Glad it was a rear tire!
>

> --
>
> DougW

Thinking about I'm thinking I might have been vandalized. I checked it one time and it had 50 pounds of air in it. I chalked that up to having filled it in the dark in a snowstorm at a gas station pump a couple of days before. But some time later I found 50 pounds in it again--just the one tire--and have no idea how that much pressure got into it the second time. If I find 50 in the new tires at any point I'm going to have to put a camera out and catch the *beep*.
Old August 1st 14, 04:45 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
DougW[_4_]

J. Clarke wrote:

> Thinking about I'm thinking I might have been vandalized. I checked
> it one time and it had 50 pounds of air in it. I chalked that up to
> having filled it in the dark in a snowstorm at a gas station pump a
> couple of days before. But some time later I found 50 pounds in it
> again--just the one tire--and have no idea how that much pressure got
> into it the second time. If I find 50 in the new tires at any point
> I'm going to have to put a camera out and catch the *beep*.

That or a new pressure gauge.

But wow! 50 psi would be like driving with concrete filled
tractor tires.

2001 A6 2.8 vibrating MarieNJ Audi 4 February 15th 08 03:33 PM
SL1 Vibrating at 70-80 mph [email protected] Saturn 6 March 16th 06 12:45 AM
vibrating at low RPM wolfy VW water cooled 5 January 11th 06 04:15 PM
Vibrating Honda femolar Honda 6 June 22nd 05 04:24 AM
530D vibrating horst BMW 0 April 26th 05 04:02 PM