Engine temp - 156 2.5 V6 -

Old June 15th 04, 11:39 AM
Jacopo

Default Engine temp - 156 2.5 V6 -

I'm sorry, this is the third time I post this quest...but I'm worried; my
156 in the traffic - with outside temp of about 30°-35°C heats up to about
100°C, with both fan on. If I use the A/C, the temp remains at 90. And it
reaches 90°C in very low time, about 7-10 minutes of driving in the traffic.
Is it normal or not?

Bye!

--
Jacopo
Bolzano, Italia

Old June 15th 04, 12:32 PM
Frank Claasen

It doesn't sound strange to me, especially with the outside temp!

Two questions:
-traffic? What kind city, autostrada?
-coolant, have you checked your coolant level lately? What kind of coolant
are you using (I hope not plain water!!!!)

Ciao,

Frank

"Jacopo" > schreef in bericht

Old June 15th 04, 03:13 PM
DesmaisonLCM

Dans l'article >, "Jacopo"
>a écrit :

>I'm sorry, this is the third time I post this quest...but I'm worried; my
>156 in the traffic - with outside temp of about 30°-35°C heats up to about
>100°C, with both fan on. If I use the A/C, the temp remains at 90. And it
>reaches 90°C in very low time, about 7-10 minutes of driving in the traffic.
>Is it normal or not?
>
>Bye!

my 156 1.6L TS is always at 90°C. She reach to this temp in 5 or 10 minutes
like yours, and when it's very hot outside in summer she can go to 100°C with
fan on of course. It's all normal for me, don't see why you're worried about
this.

ciao
Bruno
Old June 15th 04, 04:06 PM
Jacopo

Frank,

I don't use plain water, of course. I use 'Paraflu' 50% with water. I
checked yesterday, when the engine was cold and, again, when it was warm.
Always at 'MAX'.
I was meaning the city traffic, with max 3rd gear and low speeds. In
'autostrada' the engine goes from a bit under 90 to a bit over, depends on
the speed... ;-)

Bye

Jacopo
Bolzano, Italia

Sportwagon 2.5 V6 24V

Old June 15th 04, 04:11 PM
Simon

"Jacopo" > wrote in message >...
> I'm sorry, this is the third time I post this quest...but I'm worried; my
> 156 in the traffic - with outside temp of about 30°-35°C heats up to about
> 100°C, with both fan on. If I use the A/C, the temp remains at 90. And it
> reaches 90°C in very low time, about 7-10 minutes of driving in the traffic.
> Is it normal or not?
>
> Bye!
>
> --
> Jacopo
> Bolzano, Italia

My 156 V6 gets to just over 90°C in traffic and takes about 15 minutes
to get to about 80°C (normal for me but I'm in north England) I use
Agip 5W40 if that's any use. I also don't do much over 4000rpm when
it's cold.

Perhaps your oil is a bit low? or very thin?

Does anyone know what temp to wait until before I can let her rip? I'd
prefer not to wait so long ;-)
Old June 15th 04, 05:00 PM
Tom Boltwood

> From: (Simon)
> Newsgroups: alt.autos.alfa-romeo
> Date: 15 Jun 2004 08:11:44 -0700
> Subject: Engine temp - 156 2.5 V6 -
>
> "Jacopo" > wrote in message
>> I'm sorry, this is the third time I post this quest...but I'm worried; my
>> 156 in the traffic - with outside temp of about 30°-35°C heats up to about
>> 100°C, with both fan on. If I use the A/C, the temp remains at 90. And it
>> reaches 90°C in very low time, about 7-10 minutes of driving in the traffic.
>> Is it normal or not?
>>
>> Bye!
>>
>> --
>> Jacopo
>> Bolzano, Italia

> My 156 V6 gets to just over 90°C in traffic and takes about 15 minutes
> to get to about 80°C (normal for me but I'm in north England) I use
> Agip 5W40 if that's any use. I also don't do much over 4000rpm when
> it's cold.
>
> Perhaps your oil is a bit low? or very thin?
>
> Does anyone know what temp to wait until before I can let her rip? I'd
> prefer not to wait so long ;-)

I only have a TSpark 8v, and I don't tend to go over 3k revs until it's
warm, but I find the engine starts to feel a little looser about halfway
between cold and normal running temp, at which point I tend not to worry
about overtaking, etc although I don't really nail it! I am no expert, but
it just sort of feels right to me.

As for the OP, I don't think that's anything to worry about. As long as it
doesn't go into the red zone on the temp gauge I'm sure it's fine.

Old June 15th 04, 05:49 PM
Roel van der Made

Jacopo,

On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 15:06:05 +0000, Jacopo wrote:
> Frank,
> I don't use plain water, of course. I use 'Paraflu' 50% with water. I
> checked yesterday, when the engine was cold and, again, when it was warm.
> Always at 'MAX'.
> I was meaning the city traffic, with max 3rd gear and low speeds. In
> 'autostrada' the engine goes from a bit under 90 to a bit over, depends on
> the speed... ;-)

Last time I was in italy and enjoyed some traffic jams the temp also
raised to 100/110-ish with aircon on, think it's normal indeed because I
did not notice any problems at all, when back on the autostrada the temp
dropped to 90 again..

> Bye
> Jacopo
> Bolzano, Italia

cheerz,

Roel.
-156 SW 2.0 '2000
Amsterdam, Netherlands.

Old June 16th 04, 01:00 PM
Neil

On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 15:06:05 GMT, "Jacopo" >
wrote:

>Frank,
>
>I don't use plain water, of course. I use 'Paraflu' 50% with water. I
>checked yesterday, when the engine was cold and, again, when it was warm.
>Always at 'MAX'.
>I was meaning the city traffic, with max 3rd gear and low speeds. In
>'autostrada' the engine goes from a bit under 90 to a bit over, depends on
>the speed... ;-)
>
>Bye
>
>Jacopo
>Bolzano, Italia

Now this all largely depends onthe boiling point fo said fliud mixture
thus determing when steam vetns from your system. Breach the
temperature, as shwon on your gauge and then it's an issue ;-)
Old June 16th 04, 06:35 PM
Jacopo

Thanks all!
But I'm still worried: today, after starting with the engine at 95-100, the
temp. reached immediately 110; then the fans started at the 2nd speed! My
Alfa was more like a vacuum than a car ;-)
I use Bardahl 10W/40 oil. The level is fine, I changed it about 6000km ago.
Someone can tell me a good radiator liquid? And how to pump out the old?

--
Jacopo
Bolzano, Italia

Old June 16th 04, 07:01 PM
Frank Claasen

There should be a drainage tap somewhere (radiator or the side of the
engine, my 2.5 experience is limited to a GTV6 which is different). I'm not
sure it's easy to reach. I would bring into a shop if I was you

"Jacopo" > schreef in bericht