98 accord rear brake caliper

Old January 2nd 05, 02:59 AM
John Edwards

Default 98 accord rear brake caliper

Hi,

Having replaced my 98 accord's front brakes earlier, I tried to replace
the rear brake pads. To my astonishment, the caliper was so tight that
even after removing the two caliper bolts, the caliper would not come
out of the caliper stand, it is tightly fixed to the pads / rotor. Did
anyone have a simliar situation ? Do we need to push the pads towards
the rotor with a C-Clamp to get the caliper out ?

Also I noticed that in the Haynes manual, there is a different way to
push the piston, they say to rotate the caliper piston instead of just
pushing it back with a C-Clamp, is there a difference between the front
and rear disk brakes ?

Any ideas, appreciated ..

--John Edwards

Old January 2nd 05, 03:29 AM
John Ings

On 1 Jan 2005 17:59:01 -0800, "John Edwards" >
wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Having replaced my 98 accord's front brakes earlier, I tried to replace
>the rear brake pads. To my astonishment, the caliper was so tight that
>even after removing the two caliper bolts, the caliper would not come
>out of the caliper stand, it is tightly fixed to the pads / rotor. Did
>anyone have a simliar situation ?

Yeah, get a big screwdriver and pry.

> Do we need to push the pads towards
>the rotor with a C-Clamp to get the caliper out ?

No. But the park brake mechanism may be rusted and sticking.

>Also I noticed that in the Haynes manual, there is a different way to
>push the piston, they say to rotate the caliper piston instead of just
>pushing it back with a C-Clamp, is there a difference between the front
>and rear disk brakes ?

Yup. The rears have a park brake mechanism.

http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/Brakes.html#ScrewIt

Old January 2nd 05, 09:20 PM
John Ings

On 2 Jan 2005 20:10:38 GMT, "TeGGer®"
> wrote:

>The parking brake on an Accord is a small drum brake inside the "top hat"
>of the rotor. Civic-platform vehicles are the ones with but problems.

So why does his manual tell him to rotate the piston?
Of course it IS a Haynes manual...

The other thing that occured to me is maybe he has the park brake on?

Naaah!

Old January 4th 05, 04:19 AM
chip

On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 21:04:03 -0500, Alex Rodriguez >
wrote:

>In article .com>,
says...

>>Hi,
>>
>>Having replaced my 98 accord's front brakes earlier, I tried to replace
>>the rear brake pads. To my astonishment, the caliper was so tight that
>>even after removing the two caliper bolts, the caliper would not come
>>out of the caliper stand, it is tightly fixed to the pads / rotor. Did
>>anyone have a simliar situation ? Do we need to push the pads towards
>>the rotor with a C-Clamp to get the caliper out ?
>>
>>Also I noticed that in the Haynes manual, there is a different way to
>>push the piston, they say to rotate the caliper piston instead of just
>>pushing it back with a C-Clamp, is there a difference between the front
>>and rear disk brakes ?
>>
>>Any ideas, appreciated ..

>Release the parking brake.
>Alex

the parking brake is integral with the caliper. you have to
rotate the piston clockwise while pushing in. it changed back in
1998.
Chip