1992 Honda Accord brakes drag if caliper bolts (over) ?? tightned

Old July 6th 05, 03:47 AM
Mark

Default 1992 Honda Accord brakes drag if caliper bolts (over) ?? tightned

I have a 1992 Honda Accord EX.

I changed the front brakes pads and the brakes seem to be dragging a
bit more then I would like now. (The rotors are hot after a 1 mile
drive without using the brakes.) If I tighten the caliper pin bolts
to a comfortable torque, the caliper does not slide very smoothly on
the pins even though I cleaned and lubed the pins. I have the model
with the short bolts that screw into the pin. If I leave the bolt pins
a little on the loose side, the calipers do slide OK. It seems that if
I tighten the caliper pin bolts, the pins may cock a bit and change
angle so that the caliper cannot slide easily, but if you leave them a
little looser they align correctly. The spec calls for 36 ft lbs.
Anybody have any suggestions. I'm thinking of leaving them a little
loose and using Loctite on the threads.

thanks

Mark

Old July 6th 05, 04:56 AM

one more thing your bolts go on a speical way there is a tab to seat

Old July 6th 05, 05:01 AM

bad fluid or calipers are sticking
need to purge your system and get new calipers

Old July 6th 05, 05:39 AM

make sure all off the hard ware is straight if i recall the sliding pin
that the bolt goes thru has tab on it from spinning if you tighten the
bolt down and its not in its proper place your calipers are cocked at
a angle

Old July 7th 05, 07:54 PM
Bruce Chang

"Mark" > wrote in message
oups.com...
>I have a 1992 Honda Accord EX.
>
> I changed the front brakes pads and the brakes seem to be dragging a
> bit more then I would like now. (The rotors are hot after a 1 mile
> drive without using the brakes.) If I tighten the caliper pin bolts
> to a comfortable torque, the caliper does not slide very smoothly on
> the pins even though I cleaned and lubed the pins. I have the model
> with the short bolts that screw into the pin. If I leave the bolt pins
> a little on the loose side, the calipers do slide OK. It seems that if
> I tighten the caliper pin bolts, the pins may cock a bit and change
> angle so that the caliper cannot slide easily, but if you leave them a
> little looser they align correctly. The spec calls for 36 ft lbs.
> Anybody have any suggestions. I'm thinking of leaving them a little
> loose and using Loctite on the threads.
>

> thanks
>
> Mark

How did you check the rotor temperature after going a full mile without
using the brakes? Actually, I'm more interested in how you got out of the
car and what happened to the car afterwards.

I would not leave brake caliper bolts loose and leave it to loctite to hold
them there. Either there's something wrong or just your perception of what
is right. Just a little braking will cause your rotors to heat up and even
when you don't apply the brakes, the pad still drags over the surface of the
rotor.

-Bruce

Old July 7th 05, 10:29 PM
Mark

Bruce Chang wrote:
> "Mark" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> >I have a 1992 Honda Accord EX.
> >
> > I changed the front brakes pads and the brakes seem to be dragging a
> > bit more then I would like now. (The rotors are hot after a 1 mile
> > drive without using the brakes.) If I tighten the caliper pin bolts
> > to a comfortable torque, the caliper does not slide very smoothly on
> > the pins even though I cleaned and lubed the pins. I have the model
> > with the short bolts that screw into the pin. If I leave the bolt pins
> > a little on the loose side, the calipers do slide OK. It seems that if
> > I tighten the caliper pin bolts, the pins may cock a bit and change
> > angle so that the caliper cannot slide easily, but if you leave them a
> > little looser they align correctly. The spec calls for 36 ft lbs.
> > Anybody have any suggestions. I'm thinking of leaving them a little
> > loose and using Loctite on the threads.
> >

> > thanks
> >
> > Mark
> >

> How did you check the rotor temperature after going a full mile without
> using the brakes? Actually, I'm more interested in how you got out of the
> car and what happened to the car afterwards.
>
> I would not leave brake caliper bolts loose and leave it to loctite to hold
> them there. Either there's something wrong or just your perception of what
> is right. Just a little braking will cause your rotors to heat up and even
> when you don't apply the brakes, the pad still drags over the surface of the
> rotor.
>
> -Bruce

A fair question....

I went around my block twice which is 1 mile at about 25 mph without
using the foot brake. I used the hand brake to slow when needed and to
stop at the end. The hand brake works only in the rear as you know.
After this test where I used the hand brake but did not use the foot
brake, the rear rotors were a little warm, the front rotors were hot, I
could still touch them, but they were much hotter compared to the rear
rotors.

Yes I know about the little shoulders with the flat on the sliders.
They keep the sliders from turning as you tighen the bolt into them.
This is my concern. If the shoulders are not exactly flat or if the
caliper surface is not exactly flat, the pin will cock a little as the
bolt pulls the slider pin tightly against the caliper. The caliper
surface is not machined to be that accurate, I don't see how this can
ever work correctly. And if the pins are not exactly perpendicular to
the holes in the caliper, they will bind a little when the caliper
tries to slide. I'm thinking I should buy a new set of sliders and
bolts and maybe I need to clean out the holes in the calipers that the
pins slide through.

thanks

Mark