Speeding: the fundamental cause of MFFY

Old December 13th 04, 07:20 PM
Daniel W. Rouse Jr.

Default Speeding: the fundamental cause of MFFY

With all this discussion of Me First/F**k You (MFFY), it's time to admit the
fundamental problem leading to MFFY: speeding.

There's all kinds of excuses--the limits are underposted, it's not safe to
drive the speed limit, etc.; however, unless a particular road actually has
no speed limit, the speed limit is still the law governing the roads.

So, given a two lane road in one direction, and the following legal
assumption:

* The Left Lane is for traffic that is passing/driving at the speed limit
(no vehicle shall exceed the posted limit).
* The Right Lane is for slower traffic that is travelling below the speed
limit.

Let's look at some scenarios and how they reflect MFFY:

#1: Driver in the left lane is driving the speed limit, traffic in the right
lane is below the speed limit; therefore, the driver in the left lane is
passing traffic. Speeder comes along in the left lane and expects the legal
driver to move to the right lane, either by tailgating and flash to pass =
MFFY, the speeder just can't seem to legally drive with the flow of traffic
at the speed limit and follow 2 to 3 seconds behind, after all, they have to
be *first*, ahead of the pack.

#2: Driver in the left lane is speeding, and again, here comes the speeder
driving even faster, once again using flash to pass or tailgating to force
the other driver to the right lane = MFFY. Now, it's been said that the left
lane is the passing lane, not the fast enough lane, but how fast is fast
enough? Again, it's another indication that the second driver can't drive
with the flow of traffic, they have to be *first*.

Now, there are genuine situations where a driver in the left lane is an LLB,
for example, driving below the speed limit/not passing traffic/driving in
the left lane, but doesn't everything else over the speed limit also amount
to MFFY?

I think it does. And of course, this isn't to say that I haven't found
myself speeding with the flow of traffic on more than one occasion, but I'm
generally following 2 to 3 seconds behind the other car in the left lane,
passing slower traffic, not tailgating, not flashing to pass, and not
passing on the right--I have no need to be in first place. Predictably, I
encounter MFFY speeders that attempt to "divebomb" me by tailgating and
braking suddenly. As such, I simply tap the brakes twice and continue my
safe following distance behind the other car--and if they pass right just to
be in first place ahead of me, and the car in front of me... once again,
they are epitome of the MFFY type of driver.

Old December 13th 04, 07:33 PM
Bill 2

"Daniel W. Rouse Jr." > wrote in message
> With all this discussion of Me First/F**k You (MFFY), it's time to admit

the
> fundamental problem leading to MFFY: speeding.
>
> There's all kinds of excuses--the limits are underposted, it's not safe to
> drive the speed limit, etc.; however, unless a particular road actually

has
> no speed limit, the speed limit is still the law governing the roads.
>
> So, given a two lane road in one direction, and the following legal
> assumption:
>
> * The Left Lane is for traffic that is passing/driving at the speed limit
> (no vehicle shall exceed the posted limit).
> * The Right Lane is for slower traffic that is travelling below the speed
> limit.
>
> Let's look at some scenarios and how they reflect MFFY:
>
> #1: Driver in the left lane is driving the speed limit, traffic in the

right
> lane is below the speed limit; therefore, the driver in the left lane is
> passing traffic. Speeder comes along in the left lane and expects the

legal
> driver to move to the right lane, either by tailgating and flash to pass =
> MFFY, the speeder just can't seem to legally drive with the flow of

traffic
> at the speed limit and follow 2 to 3 seconds behind, after all, they have

> be *first*, ahead of the pack.

Are they continuously passing traffic, or do they think "I see some slower
traffic on the horizon in the right lane, better keep left"

> Predictably, I
> encounter MFFY speeders that attempt to "divebomb" me by tailgating and
> braking suddenly. As such, I simply tap the brakes twice and continue my
> safe following distance behind the other car--and if they pass right just

> be in first place ahead of me, and the car in front of me... once again,
> they are epitome of the MFFY type of driver.

If they can pass you on the right, that means you aren't passing traffic,
and should be in the right lane.

Old December 13th 04, 07:33 PM
Bill 2

Old December 13th 04, 07:54 PM
Daniel W. Rouse Jr.

"Bill 2" > wrote in message

> "Daniel W. Rouse Jr." > wrote in message
> Are they continuously passing traffic, or do they think "I see some slower
> traffic on the horizon in the right lane, better keep left"

No one is ever continously passing traffic unless the right lane is
completely stopped.

> > Predictably, I
> > encounter MFFY speeders that attempt to "divebomb" me by tailgating and
> > braking suddenly. As such, I simply tap the brakes twice and continue my
> > safe following distance behind the other car--and if they pass right

just
> > be in first place ahead of me, and the car in front of me... once again,
> > they are epitome of the MFFY type of driver.

> If they can pass you on the right, that means you aren't passing traffic,
> and should be in the right lane.

By that logic, no one should ever be in the right lane because there might
be a situation like this:

[aaa] [me] [car1]
[car2]

Now, [aaa] could pass [me] on the right...

[me] [car1]
[aaa] [car2]

but not get past the [car2] in the right lane. At some point [car1] would
pass [car2], and then, of course, [me] would also pass [car2] approximately
2 to 3 seconds later.

And given another lane to the right, [aaa] could always recklessly weave
through traffic in order to pass [me], then [car2], and then ultimately pass
[car1]. It's *always* possible to pass someone on the right if traffic isn't
actively blocking, which is where the question comes up again, how fast is
fast enough?

What usually happens, though, is this:

[aaa] [me] [car1]
[car2]

Now, I'm not going to merge right, in fact, [aaa] needs to back off.

Old December 13th 04, 07:54 PM
Daniel W. Rouse Jr.

Old December 13th 04, 09:32 PM
Brent P

In article >, Daniel W. Rouse Jr. wrote:
> With all this discussion of Me First/F**k You (MFFY), it's time to admit the
> fundamental problem leading to MFFY: speeding.

The fundamental cause if any, is the teachings of 'just let them do it'
and "consideration" coupled with underposted speed limits.

> There's all kinds of excuses--the limits are underposted, it's not safe to
> drive the speed limit, etc.; however, unless a particular road actually has
> no speed limit, the speed limit is still the law governing the roads.

So you are arguing from the authority standpoint, that one must OBEY
regardless of how stupid the law is. This is what caused the problem in
the first place. Rules should be few, simple and make sense. Not many,
complex, and total nonsense.

Old December 13th 04, 09:32 PM
Brent P

Old December 13th 04, 10:15 PM
Mark

It should be GF. as in GOD FIRST

Old December 13th 04, 10:15 PM
Mark

Old December 13th 04, 11:09 PM
Olaf Gustafson

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 10:20:23 -0800, "Daniel W. Rouse Jr."
> wrote:

>Now, there are genuine situations where a driver in the left lane is an LLB,
>for example, driving below the speed limit/not passing traffic/driving in
>the left lane, but doesn't everything else over the speed limit also amount
>to MFFY?

No

MFFY Du Jour Mike Z. Helm Driving 51 April 10th 05 08:30 PM
Help fighting speeding tickets jhonny Driving 126 December 20th 04 06:17 PM
Is it MFFY or MFFU? Jim Yanik Driving 12 December 7th 04 04:58 AM