1997 WRANGLER SE WON'T START

Old October 15th 05, 11:52 PM

Default 1997 WRANGLER SE WON'T START

after 6 days of rain, my 97 tj se won't start. there's a fast clicking,
so i thought it might be the battery. i put a vom on it and it read
12v, but i threw a 10a 5 hr charge on it anyway. the inside lights got
brighter, but it still won't turn, just clicking. i tried until it
stopped clicking, waited a few minutes, and same thing. i checked the
codes and got 12, 55. that's nice because i took the battery out to
charge it (12=battery recently removed). no other codes, so the
computer is not helping (iguess i should have checked it before
disconnecting the battery. there's not much to this 2.5l engine. the
battery was replaced about a year ago by my mechanic (some no name
battery that's supposed to last for 55 months). I don't have much time
to spend working on this jeep, if the battery is a good shot, i'll
replace it. any thoughts?? thanks

Old October 16th 05, 02:38 AM
Patrick Ô¿Ô

You need a new starter or solenoid.

Patrick
Ô¿Ô

ups.com...

Old October 16th 05, 11:53 AM
Coasty

Check the connection of the + cable on the starter look for corrosion also
check the ground connection and battery connections make sure they are
clean.

--
Coasty

Remove the SPOOGE to reply
ups.com...

Old October 16th 05, 07:59 PM
Lon

First pull and clean the battery terminals. Check the positive cable to
the starter and the negative cable to ground for being clean and tight.
If in doubt, pull them, clean, and tighten.

Your symptoms sound like a battery on its last legs if the charger makes
your lights brighter. Unless you find a *really* bad cable, plan on
getting it running long enough to go get a good name brand battery.
Ignore the warranty as 4 years is a long time even for a premium
battery. Charge or jump it, and head for a battery dealer.

If you can't turn the headlights on for 10 minutes and still read 12
volts, the battery is going.

Steve Brady proclaimed:

Old October 17th 05, 04:47 PM

Thanks for all the great suggestions. I should have mentioned that the
battery is about a year old and it died one other time (well I assume
that it died, because I recharged it and it worked fine all summer).
But, now you got me thinking because last time I charged it, I also
cleaned the terminal connectors. I'm going to recharge, clean the
terminals and terminal connectors, the starter and solenoid connections
and see if that fixes it. Probably a good idea to do that once a year
away, huh?

No start in cold Aberrant Technology 1 February 22nd 05 03:38 AM
156 start problems ?! Canonian Alfa Romeo 15 December 8th 04 08:57 AM
1998 breeze 2.4 won't start Jr Chrysler 4 December 6th 04 12:31 AM
1998 SL1 electrical problem- won't start, will start, replaced fuel pump relay D Saturn 6 August 23rd 04 09:17 PM