Dodge Challenger: A Go For 2008.5!

Old May 17th 06, 03:33 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

Default Dodge Challenger: A Go For 2008.5!

Employees from DamilerChrysler supplier, Collins & Aikman told
NewAgeMuscleCars.com today that they are working on engineering certain
components for the upcoming production version of the Dodge Challenger.
Even though Chrysler has said that the decision to build the Challenger
will not be announed until later this year, Chrysler group's top
marketing boss, Joe Eberhart said that they are "comfortable now that
we have found a formula where we think we can sustain" a production run
of more than one year.

According to sources at Collins & Aikman though, the green light has
already been given for the Challenger and they are working as a
supplier to bring the iconic nameplate back for the 2008.5 model year.
Ironically, the Challenger's 2008.5 production target falls on the 40th
anniversary of the 1968.5 Shelby GT500KR, which may itself return as a
2008.5 model.

The 2006 Dodge Challenger concept is powered by a 425 horepower 6.1L
Hemi engine, which falls short of the 2007 Shelby Mustang GT500's
whopping 500 horsepower. The 2007 Shelby GT500 concept's engine was
rated at 475 horsepower.

For more information on the Dodge Challenger, check out LXForums.com.
---

Patrick

Old May 17th 06, 12:59 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

Current powerplants in the LX chassis are the 340-hp 5.7L HEMI and the
SRT 425-hp 6.1L HEMI. I don't know if Dodge has any plans to chase the
Mustang or not, but these motors are from 2005, so they might see a bump
in power by the 2009 model year. We'll see. There's no denying that we
all benefit from horsepower wars!

Did the original GT500KR get more power than the GT500?

Thanks,
Scott

Old May 17th 06, 02:22 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

wrote in news:1147833228.361592.116380
@u72g2000cwu.googlegroups.com:

> Employees from DamilerChrysler supplier, Collins & Aikman told
> NewAgeMuscleCars.com today that they are working on engineering

certain
> components for the upcoming production version of the Dodge

Challenger.
> Even though Chrysler has said that the decision to build the

Challenger
> will not be announed until later this year, Chrysler group's top
> marketing boss, Joe Eberhart said that they are "comfortable now that
> we have found a formula where we think we can sustain" a production

run
> of more than one year.
>
> According to sources at Collins & Aikman though, the green light has
> already been given for the Challenger and they are working as a
> supplier to bring the iconic nameplate back for the 2008.5 model year.
> Ironically, the Challenger's 2008.5 production target falls on the

40th
> anniversary of the 1968.5 Shelby GT500KR, which may itself return as a
> 2008.5 model.
>
> The 2006 Dodge Challenger concept is powered by a 425 horepower 6.1L
> Hemi engine, which falls short of the 2007 Shelby Mustang GT500's
> whopping 500 horsepower. The 2007 Shelby GT500 concept's engine was
> rated at 475 horsepower.
>
> For more information on the Dodge Challenger, check out LXForums.com.
> ---
>
> Patrick

Why the comparison between a standard production vehicle and a limited-
production specialty vehicle costing tens of thousands more? It
couldn't be that Ford has nothing available to compete except the
mythical GT500, could it?

Joe
Calypso Green '93 5.0 LX AOD hatch with a few goodies
Black '03 Dakota 5.9 R/T CC
Old May 17th 06, 06:59 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

The media will compare anything that brings in readers. If the
Challenger was produced right now, it would get a 340-hp 5.7 (R/T) and a
6.1 425-hp (SRT8). Assuming it's still destined for production, I
imagine the engine options are still unknown. As far as I know, they
are coming out with a new platform (LY), so perhaps they will revamp the
output of their HEMI motors, too.

Thanks,
Scott

Old May 17th 06, 07:48 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

"Scott Moseman" > wrote in message
> Current powerplants in the LX chassis are the 340-hp 5.7L HEMI and the SRT
> 425-hp 6.1L HEMI. I don't know if Dodge has any plans to chase the
> Mustang or not, but these motors are from 2005, so they might see a bump
> in power by the 2009 model year. We'll see. There's no denying that we
> all benefit from horsepower wars!
>
> Did the original GT500KR get more power than the GT500?
>
> Thanks,
> Scott

More than the currently officially rated 500 horsepower?

a.. Ford Shelby GT500 officially rated at 500 horsepower, 25 horsepower
higher than preliminary estimates
a.. The Shelby GT500 will go on sale this summer with more horsepower than
any previous factory-built Mustang

http://media.ford.com/newsroom/relea...?release=23327

Old May 17th 06, 07:52 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

"Joe" > wrote in message
> wrote in news:1147833228.361592.116380
> @u72g2000cwu.googlegroups.com:
>
>> Employees from DamilerChrysler supplier, Collins & Aikman told
>> NewAgeMuscleCars.com today that they are working on engineering

> certain
>> components for the upcoming production version of the Dodge

> Challenger.
>> Even though Chrysler has said that the decision to build the

> Challenger
>> will not be announed until later this year, Chrysler group's top
>> marketing boss, Joe Eberhart said that they are "comfortable now that
>> we have found a formula where we think we can sustain" a production

> run
>> of more than one year.
>>
>> According to sources at Collins & Aikman though, the green light has
>> already been given for the Challenger and they are working as a
>> supplier to bring the iconic nameplate back for the 2008.5 model year.
>> Ironically, the Challenger's 2008.5 production target falls on the

> 40th
>> anniversary of the 1968.5 Shelby GT500KR, which may itself return as a
>> 2008.5 model.
>>
>> The 2006 Dodge Challenger concept is powered by a 425 horepower 6.1L
>> Hemi engine, which falls short of the 2007 Shelby Mustang GT500's
>> whopping 500 horsepower. The 2007 Shelby GT500 concept's engine was
>> rated at 475 horsepower.
>>
>> For more information on the Dodge Challenger, check out LXForums.com.
>> ---
>>
>> Patrick

> Why the comparison between a standard production vehicle and a limited-
> production specialty vehicle costing tens of thousands more? It
> couldn't be that Ford has nothing available to compete except the
> mythical GT500, could it?
>
> Joe
> Calypso Green '93 5.0 LX AOD hatch with a few goodies
> Black '03 Dakota 5.9 R/T CC

The real question is who is producing what and who is just talking about
it...

You don't think Ford can drop a comparable engine into the Mustang GT three
years from now, to compete with the Germans as yet imaginary, and
underpowered Challenger?

Old May 18th 06, 04:32 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

I guess I should have mentioned that I was talking about the original
GT500, too. I believe the GT500KR replaced the GT500, in 1968?, but I
was curious if they bumped up the power along with it? I guess that has
little to do with a new Challenger thread, so I will just research it
online or start another thread if I really want to know.

Thanks,
Scott

Old May 18th 06, 12:16 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

Right. The Challenger is basically old news at this point; I was just
wondering why Patrick posted the ridiculous comparo.

Joe
Calypso Green '93 5.0 LX AOD hatch with a few goodies
Black '03 Dakota 5.9 R/T CC

Scott Moseman > wrote in news:QvJag.41831$CH2.24409
@tornado.texas.rr.com:

Old May 18th 06, 12:24 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

"My Names Nobody" > wrote in

> "Joe" > wrote in message
>> wrote in news:1147833228.361592.116380
>> @u72g2000cwu.googlegroups.com:
>>
>>> Employees from DamilerChrysler supplier, Collins & Aikman told
>>> NewAgeMuscleCars.com today that they are working on engineering

>> certain
>>> components for the upcoming production version of the Dodge

>> Challenger.
>>> Even though Chrysler has said that the decision to build the

>> Challenger
>>> will not be announed until later this year, Chrysler group's top
>>> marketing boss, Joe Eberhart said that they are "comfortable now
>>> that we have found a formula where we think we can sustain" a
>>> production

>> run
>>> of more than one year.
>>>
>>> According to sources at Collins & Aikman though, the green light has
>>> already been given for the Challenger and they are working as a
>>> supplier to bring the iconic nameplate back for the 2008.5 model
>>> year. Ironically, the Challenger's 2008.5 production target falls on
>>> the

>> 40th
>>> anniversary of the 1968.5 Shelby GT500KR, which may itself return as
>>> a 2008.5 model.
>>>
>>> The 2006 Dodge Challenger concept is powered by a 425 horepower 6.1L
>>> Hemi engine, which falls short of the 2007 Shelby Mustang GT500's
>>> whopping 500 horsepower. The 2007 Shelby GT500 concept's engine was
>>> rated at 475 horsepower.
>>>
>>> For more information on the Dodge Challenger, check out
>>> LXForums.com. ---
>>>
>>> Patrick

>> Why the comparison between a standard production vehicle and a
>> limited- production specialty vehicle costing tens of thousands more?
>> It couldn't be that Ford has nothing available to compete except the
>> mythical GT500, could it?
>>
>> Joe
>> Calypso Green '93 5.0 LX AOD hatch with a few goodies
>> Black '03 Dakota 5.9 R/T CC

> The real question is who is producing what and who is just talking
> about it...

Well, let's see. Ford is yapping about all kinds of non-existent
products in dreamland while they're selling a 300hp 4.6. DC isn't
talking much but selling a 425hp 6.1. I think that answers the "real"
question.

> You don't think Ford can drop a comparable engine into the Mustang GT
> three years from now, to compete with the Germans as yet imaginary,
> and underpowered Challenger?

Considering that Ford has absolutely nothing to compete with either of
the Hemis, that's a pretty funny question.

As for the future, who really knows? However, if history is any
indication of things to come, Ford will be a day late and a dollar
short.

Charger NJ Vike Dodge 12 January 13th 06 12:05 PM
Mopar Oil Filter Number(s) do not spam Chrysler 3 January 7th 06 01:18 PM
Got to love that HEMI. Here is some info on it. In our Dodge and Jeep Scott S. Dodge 0 March 31st 05 10:36 AM
DODGE CHALLENGER: 340 HEADERS emon Dodge 2 September 16th 04 07:53 AM