radio locked out

Old November 8th 07, 11:48 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
stonecreek

Default radio locked out

I have a 2000 SL2 that I bought used. I recently had to do some work which
required disconnecting the battery. Apparently, there is some sort of
anti-theft stuff that requires entering a code to get the radio to work.
All the radio says is LOCK. The manual says to go to the dealer. There has
to be another way.

Any ideas?

thanks

Old November 9th 07, 01:48 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Matthew Fries

It's an anti-theft measure. The stereo is locked with a 4 digit code.
If you enter the correct code, it will unlock. The dealer can look up
the unlock code based on the serial number or something.

I believe you use the tune and seek buttons to enter the digits.

Before I changed my battery, I purposefully set the unlock code
myself, because I wasn't sure what the default is, and didn't want to
be locked out of the Stereo. Then, I disconnected the battery, put in
the new one, and unlocked the stereo with the code I just set. It
worked good.

In your case, I think you can try guessing the numbers. How much free
time do you have? You could also guess an easy sequence, like 1234.
maybe the previous owner had to change the battery too, and set the
code to something easy.

On Thu, 8 Nov 2007 17:48:45 -0500, "stonecreek" >
wrote:

>I have a 2000 SL2 that I bought used. I recently had to do some work which
>required disconnecting the battery. Apparently, there is some sort of
>anti-theft stuff that requires entering a code to get the radio to work.
>All the radio says is LOCK. The manual says to go to the dealer. There has
>to be another way.
>
>Any ideas?
>
>thanks

Thanks.

Remove the BALONEY from my email address.
Matthew Fries Minneapolis, MN USA

"Quit eating all my *STUFF*!" - The Tick
Old November 9th 07, 02:41 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Oppie[_6_]

Sorry to say, you must go to the dealer on this one unless you get lucky
entering the number sequence.
If I remember correctly, you should be able to do some button sequence which
will display a number that if given to Saturn will yield an unlock code.

Google gives these options:
http://www.google.com/search?source=...n+radio+unlock

Old November 9th 07, 04:05 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Oppie[_6_]

Default Radio diagnostic

Won't help you until the radio gets unlocked but I found this post that I
made a while back on how to access the radio diagnostics:
http://www.autostalk.com/saturn-cars...ic-322307.html

Old November 9th 07, 04:15 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
stonecreek

Here is what I have found out so far. On my particular radio, once it got
locked, depress keys 1 and 2 at the same time. After a few seconds, a 4
digit code pops up. Saturn calls some magic number and gives them this
code, then they get the real code back from the magic people. Then
supposedly, if you do the keys 1 and 2 again and get the 4 digit code, it
should be changed to the code that Saturn gave me. The only thing is, the
service guy told me the key has to be in the run position, not motor
running, and radio off, for an hour for this to work. I came home and am
waiting because I didn't want to hang out there for an hour. We shall see.

Old November 9th 07, 07:04 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Doug Miller[_1_]

In article >, "stonecreek" > wrote:
>Here is what I have found out so far. On my particular radio, once it got
>locked, depress keys 1 and 2 at the same time. After a few seconds, a 4
>digit code pops up. Saturn calls some magic number and gives them this
>code, then they get the real code back from the magic people. Then
>supposedly, if you do the keys 1 and 2 again and get the 4 digit code, it
>should be changed to the code that Saturn gave me. The only thing is, the
>service guy told me the key has to be in the run position, not motor
>running, and radio off, for an hour for this to work. I came home and am
>waiting because I didn't want to hang out there for an hour. We shall see.

Seems to me that they should be able to determine the proper code from the
model and serial numbers on the radio (requires removing the radio from the
dash) or from the VIN if this is the original radio.

--
Regards,

Old November 9th 07, 07:48 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Oppie[_6_]

This was one of the links that google showed searching for 'saturn radio
unlock 2000'
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94012

Old November 9th 07, 10:58 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
stonecreek

I post this mainly because when it happens again, I will have something to
refer to, suffer from CRS if you know what I mean.

Again, on the 2000 SL2 (not sure what else this might apply to), once you
get LOCK with the radio turned on, turn it off and depress keys 1 and 2 at
the same time. You get some 4 digit code. This is what Saturn has to call
in to the secret place and get you the real code. I tried all the internet
stuff about calling some 8YY number, but was never successful. Anyway, once
the real code is obtained from Saturn (or however you do it), turn the radio
on with the key in the run position and the radio displaying LOCK. The
radio must be on and LOCK must be displayed. Leave it like this for an
hour, then you will get the ----, then you can enter the code that Saturn
gave you. It worked fine on my vehicle.

locked out of my car Jules BMW 9 January 28th 07 12:55 PM
locked up [email protected] Technology 0 July 3rd 06 12:15 AM
1987 Golf GTI stock radio is locked out David Craig VW water cooled 3 March 6th 06 03:02 AM
Chrysler radio locked...help Matt Macchiarolo Jeep 60 September 29th 05 10:31 PM
locked out 88BIMMER BMW 5 September 18th 05 03:33 AM