Drive Cycle & Getting Ready for Smog Test

Old May 25th 08, 07:15 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
FrankW[_3_]

Default Drive Cycle & Getting Ready for Smog Test

Hi everyone:

I recently replaced a weak battery on my 1999 Civic. Before I replaced the
battery, it cause a weak start and triggered an SRS light. I resetted the
light by removing the fuse. But now I have to get the car ready for a
California smog test very soon.

I discovered I have to do several 'drive cycles' to get the car ready. But
there seems to be varied answer as to what a cycle is.

One source states :

" Ensure that the fuel tank is between 1/4 and 3/4 full.
Start cold (below 86°F /30°C) and warm up until engine coolant temperature
is at least 160° F (typically requires at least one minute; up to 3
minutes).
Accelerate to 40-55 MPH at 25% throttle and maintain speed for five minutes.
Decelerate without using the brake (coast down) to 20 MPH or less, then stop
the vehicle. Allow the engine to idle for 10 seconds, turn the key off, and
wait one minute.
Restart and accelerate to 40-55 MPH at 25% throttle and maintain speed for
two minutes.
Decelerate with using the brake [or the clutch!] by coasting down to 20 MPH
or less, then stop the vehicle. Allow the engine to idle for 10 seconds,
turn the key off, and wait one minute. "

than another gave VERY specific steps:

"(Engine Cold; it is very important to start with the engine cold or the
process will NOT work!) Start engine, idle 20 seconds. Accelerate gradually
and drive at 20-25 mph for 1 minute, varying speed.
Accelerate gradually to 32 mph within 35 seconds. Decelerate to 0 mph in 10
seconds. Idle for 40 seconds.

Accelerate at part throttle to 25 mph in 10 seconds. Cruise at 17-25 mph for
15 seconds. Accelerate gradually to 57 mph in 45 seconds. Cruise at 50-56
mph for 1 minute. Decelerate gradually to 0 mph in 40 seconds. Idle for 15
seconds.

Accelerate at part throttle to 36 mph and maintain for 10 seconds.
Decelerate to 0 mph in 15 seconds. Idle for 5 seconds.

Accelerate to 30 mph and back to 0 mph within 30 seconds. Idle for 20
seconds.

Accelerate to 36 mph in 20 seconds. Drive at 35 mph for 20 seconds.
Decelerate to 0 mph in 15 seconds. Idle 5 seconds.

Accelerate gradually to 26 mph and decelerate to 0 within 40 seconds. Idle
15 seconds.

Accelerate to 27 mph in 40 seconds. Decelerate to 0 mph in 10 seconds. Idle
25 seconds.

Accelerate to 26 mph in 15 seconds, maintain speed for 10 seconds,
decelerate to 0 mph in 10 seconds. Idle 15 seconds.

Accelerate to 23 mph in 20 seconds, decelerate to 0.5 mph in 10 seconds (no
complete stop). Accelerate to 28 mph and back to 0 mph (momentary stop 1
second) within 35 seconds.

Accelerate gradually to 34 mph in 45 seconds. Vary speed between 34 and 19
mph for 2 minutes. Decelerate from 25 to 0 mph in 25 seconds. Idle for 5
seconds.

Accelerate to 29 mph in 15 seconds, decelerate gradually to 0 mph in 45
seconds. Idle for 30 seconds.

Accelerate gradually to 28 mph and back to 0 mph (momentary stop 1 second)
within 50 seconds. Accelerate gradually to 27 mph and back to 0 mph within
55 seconds. Idle for 15 seconds.

Accelerate to 24 mph and back to 0 mph within 18 seconds. Idle for 10
seconds. Accelerate gradually to 22 mph and back to 0 mph within 50 seconds.
Idle for 8 seconds.

Accelerate gradually to 30 mph within 50 seconds. Decelerate to 0 mph in 10
seconds. Idle for 25 seconds.

Accelerate to 23 mph and back to 0 mph within 30 seconds. Idle for 10
seconds.

Repeat steps 1 - 16 once again. Recheck the status of the "Readiness
Monitors".

I tried to follow the direction above, though not exactly. I live only 10
miles from work so first 5 is done on the freeway then the last 5 is on city
street. So far I have about 200 miles of above style of driving. Is that
enough to reset the computer for the smog test?

Thank you

Help!! 98 SL1 not passing MIL check in smog test Jeff[_11_] Saturn 0 August 21st 06 06:10 AM
Honda Accord Drive Cycle Ryder Honda 0 May 11th 06 09:36 PM
A/C Test Cycle for 1999 Dodge? Bob Mariotti Dodge 4 July 29th 05 08:59 PM
Failed Califoria smog test. Mike M Jeep 28 January 26th 05 12:30 AM