M30 air intake manifold

Old April 18th 07, 04:06 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Default M30 air intake manifold

I am about to buy a 1991 BMW 535i (in Canada) that has 345000 km and a
leak in the air intake manifold as well as an engine oil leak. Price
300 dollars. Car still runs. I plan on repairing the intake manifold
and sealing the engine oil leak. Then I will work on strapping on a
hydrogen booster. Can anyone assist me with the air intake manifold?
How do I replace it and what does it cost?
Thanks,
Noobiedoobie

Old April 18th 07, 05:04 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Bill[_4_]

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> I am about to buy a 1991 BMW 535i (in Canada) that has 345000 km and a
> leak in the air intake manifold as well as an engine oil leak. Price
> 300 dollars. Car still runs. I plan on repairing the intake manifold
> and sealing the engine oil leak. Then I will work on strapping on a
> hydrogen booster. Can anyone assist me with the air intake manifold?
> How do I replace it and what does it cost?
> Thanks,
> Noobiedoobie

Sounds like the rubber boot connecting the airbox to the air flow meter,
shaped like an "L". It runs about $28. There's another straight rubber boot
between the air flow meter and the throttle body, about $25. Don't forget
the myriad rubber hoses that are cracking. Easy and cheap, but
time-consuming to replace. Check this site:

www.realoem.com

Bill in Omaha
'86 535i

Old April 18th 07, 07:20 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
E28 Guyİ

On Apr 18, 11:04 am, "Bill" > wrote:
> > wrote in message
>
> oups.com...
>
> > I am about to buy a 1991 BMW 535i (in Canada) that has 345000 km and a
> > leak in the air intake manifold as well as an engine oil leak. Price
> > 300 dollars. Car still runs. I plan on repairing the intake manifold
> > and sealing the engine oil leak.

I'll second the suggestion that the big rubber intake boot is cracked
and likely has a vacuum leak on the bottom. You can check for it by
squeezing the thing with the engine idling. If the idle changes
(either up or down) as you do so, that's the problem. It's a half-
hour job for a fumblethumbs like me.

There is also a very common and very cheap and easy-to-fix oil leak on
the M30. Check the oil pressure switch at the back of the head.
Costs about $8 (even AutoZone stocks 'em) and 5 minutes to replace.
Next most likely (and next cheapest/easiest) is a leaky valve cover
gasket.

> > Can anyone assist me with the air intake manifold?
> > How do I replace it and what does it cost?

I have *never* seen a reason to replace one, so there ought to be
about a bazillion of 'em around, used, very cheap. But I'll bet you
the rent that's not the problem.
--
C.R. Krieger
(Been there; done that)

Old April 18th 07, 08:09 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

On Apr 18, 12:04 pm, "Bill" > wrote:
> > wrote in message
>
> oups.com...
>
> > I am about to buy a 1991 BMW 535i (in Canada) that has 345000 km and a
> > leak in theairintakemanifoldas well as an engine oil leak. Price
> > 300 dollars. Car still runs. I plan on repairing theintakemanifold
> > and sealing the engine oil leak. Then I will work on strapping on a
> > hydrogen booster. Can anyone assist me with theairintakemanifold?
> > How do I replace it and what does it cost?
> > Thanks,
> > Noobiedoobie

> Sounds like the rubber boot connecting the airbox to theairflow meter,
> shaped like an "L". It runs about $28. There's another straight rubber boot
> between theairflow meter and the throttle body, about $25. Don't forget
> the myriad rubber hoses that are cracking. Easy and cheap, but
> time-consuming to replace. Check this site:
>
> www.realoem.com
>
> Bill in Omaha
> '86 535i

Yes! Thank you Bill in Omaha. With your help, I think I am going to
just about steal this thing off of the seller's hands tonight for only
300 Canadian. I will try these simple fixes first. I hope these work
and I don't have to get at the head gasket. Is it common for head
gaskets to blow on these cars, I mean, the car is 345000 kilometres
and 16 years old.

Old April 18th 07, 08:15 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

On Apr 18, 1:00 pm, wrote:
> On 18 Apr 2007 08:06:34 -0700, wrote:
>
> >I am about to buy a 1991 BMW 535i (in Canada) that has 345000 km and a
> >leak in theairintakemanifoldas well as an engine oil leak. Price
> >300 dollars. Car still runs. I plan on repairing theintakemanifold
> >and sealing the engine oil leak. Then I will work on strapping on a
> >hydrogen booster. Can anyone assist me with theairintakemanifold?
> >How do I replace it and what does it cost?
> >Thanks,
> >Noobiedoobie

> Why don't you go for the whole enchilada? Strap a titan missile to the trunk!

That's down the line, my friend, down the line and far in the north of
the country sometime after my hydrogen booster has cleaned out this
old engine. I think you misunderstood what I meant by the hydrogen
booster. It's a simple electrolysis unit that you can make at home
for under 40 or so bucks that splits regular tap water into HHO gas
and this is sucked up into the air intake such that the gasoline gets
a complete burn because hydrogen burns cleaner than anything else in
the universe and doesn't even require oxygen to do so. This will
clear out all of the gunk and deposits in the cylinders very quickly,
and I hope increase mileage by at least 25%. If you want I'll keep
you posted on my progress. I envision everybody going out and scoring
a great deal on an old beat up car and strapping on hydrogen
boosters! Since this is a BMW, it will be all the more sweeter.

Old April 18th 07, 08:17 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

On Apr 18, 2:20 pm, E28 Guyİ > wrote:
> On Apr 18, 11:04 am, "Bill" > wrote:
>
> > > wrote in message

> roups.com...

> > > I am about to buy a 1991 BMW 535i (in Canada) that has 345000 km and a
> > > leak in theairintakemanifoldas well as an engine oil leak. Price
> > > 300 dollars. Car still runs. I plan on repairing theintakemanifold
> > > and sealing the engine oil leak.

> I'll second the suggestion that the big rubberintakeboot is cracked
> and likely has a vacuum leak on the bottom. You can check for it by
> squeezing the thing with the engine idling. If the idle changes
> (either up or down) as you do so, that's the problem. It's a half-
> hour job for a fumblethumbs like me.
>
> There is also a very common and very cheap and easy-to-fix oil leak on
> the M30. Check the oil pressure switch at the back of the head.
> Costs about $8 (even AutoZone stocks 'em) and 5 minutes to replace.
> Next most likely (and next cheapest/easiest) is a leaky valve cover
> gasket.
>
> > > Can anyone assist me with theairintakemanifold?
> > > How do I replace it and what does it cost?

> I have *never* seen a reason to replace one, so there ought to be
> about a bazillion of 'em around, used, very cheap. But I'll bet you
> the rent that's not the problem.
> --
> C.R. Krieger
> (Been there; done that)

Thanks Krieger. I sincerely appreciate the insight. Thanks to you, I
can get this fixed more quickly and cheaply. I may not even need my
brother-in-law mechanic to look at it. What does the oil-pressure
switch look like?

Old April 18th 07, 09:15 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

On 18 Apr 2007 12:15:31 -0700, wrote:

>On Apr 18, 1:00 pm, wrote:
>> On 18 Apr 2007 08:06:34 -0700, wrote:
>>
>> >I am about to buy a 1991 BMW 535i (in Canada) that has 345000 km and a
>> >leak in theairintakemanifoldas well as an engine oil leak. Price
>> >300 dollars. Car still runs. I plan on repairing theintakemanifold
>> >and sealing the engine oil leak. Then I will work on strapping on a
>> >hydrogen booster. Can anyone assist me with theairintakemanifold?
>> >How do I replace it and what does it cost?
>> >Thanks,
>> >Noobiedoobie

>> Why don't you go for the whole enchilada? Strap a titan missile to the trunk!

>That's down the line, my friend, down the line and far in the north of
>the country sometime after my hydrogen booster has cleaned out this
>old engine. I think you misunderstood what I meant by the hydrogen
>booster. It's a simple electrolysis unit that you can make at home
>for under 40 or so bucks that splits regular tap water into HHO gas
>and this is sucked up into the air intake such that the gasoline gets
>a complete burn because hydrogen burns cleaner than anything else in
>the universe and doesn't even require oxygen to do so. This will
>clear out all of the gunk and deposits in the cylinders very quickly,
>and I hope increase mileage by at least 25%. If you want I'll keep
>you posted on my progress. I envision everybody going out and scoring
>a great deal on an old beat up car and strapping on hydrogen
>boosters! Since this is a BMW, it will be all the more sweeter.

Lets have the schematics and plans - I'd be very interested as the gas over here
is like gold dust.......................!

email to

Old April 18th 07, 10:09 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Bill[_4_]

> wrote in message
ups.com...
> On Apr 18, 12:04 pm, "Bill" > wrote:
> > > wrote in message
> >
> > oups.com...
> >
> > > I am about to buy a 1991 BMW 535i (in Canada) that has 345000 km and a
> > > leak in theairintakemanifoldas well as an engine oil leak. Price
> > > 300 dollars. Car still runs. I plan on repairing theintakemanifold
> > > and sealing the engine oil leak. Then I will work on strapping on a
> > > hydrogen booster. Can anyone assist me with theairintakemanifold?
> > > How do I replace it and what does it cost?
> > > Thanks,
> > > Noobiedoobie

> > Sounds like the rubber boot connecting the airbox to theairflow meter,
> > shaped like an "L". It runs about $28. There's another straight rubber

boot
> > between theairflow meter and the throttle body, about $25. Don't forget
> > the myriad rubber hoses that are cracking. Easy and cheap, but
> > time-consuming to replace. Check this site:
> >
> > www.realoem.com
> >
> > Bill in Omaha
> > '86 535i

> Yes! Thank you Bill in Omaha. With your help, I think I am going to
> just about steal this thing off of the seller's hands tonight for only
> 300 Canadian. I will try these simple fixes first. I hope these work
> and I don't have to get at the head gasket. Is it common for head
> gaskets to blow on these cars, I mean, the car is 345000 kilometres
> and 16 years old.
> -----

M30 head gaskets are pretty tough and most would say the M30 is
bullet-proof... if the basic maintenance has been done. I like mine for the
timing chain and seemingly over-engineered design. No belt to break, just
change the oil regularly, air and oil filters, plugs every other year, and
valve clearances every other year or so.
Do a compression check on the engine and that will tell a lot. Cylinders
should be within 5% (?) of each other. Mine are and it has 173,000 miles.
Air leaks are the main thing, but the M30B35 has a newer ECU and should be a
little more tolerant than my M30B34. Don't look at the miles, look at the
condition of the engine/body. Cheers!

Bill in Omaha
'86 535i

Old April 18th 07, 10:58 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
JRE

wrote:
<snip>
> It's a simple electrolysis unit that you can make at home
> for under 40 or so bucks that splits regular tap water into HHO gas
> and this is sucked up into the air intake such that the gasoline gets
> a complete burn because hydrogen burns cleaner than anything else in
> the universe and doesn't even require oxygen to do so.

<snip>

Sorry, but I'm afraid that hydrogen _does_ require oxygen to burn,
though the engine will adjust the fuel mix based on the hydrogen intake
as long as the adjustment falls within the maps in the ECU (else it will
try as hard as it can and then light the MIL, aka check engine light).
So it might or might not be necessary to add O2 to the mix to get the
thing to run right if all you do is keep the H from the electrolysis.

Further, you'll have a _very_ explosive mix sitting around if you trap
both the H and the O2 from electrolysis and store them together...and in
perfect proportion. This is the basis of FAEs (fuel-air explosives) but
using pure H and O2 goes one better since atmospheric air is only 21% or
so O2.

There's no way you can collect enough of this combination of gases top
be useful without compressing it, and compressing both together will be
very hazardous. Not to mention having it in the car in case of an
accident (assuming you even succeed in compressing it without it going
bang!). I hope this isn't what you're planning. If it is, I hope I'm
not near where you live or plan to operate this vehicle and that
innocent people are not injured.

Moreover, the energy spent splitting water into hydrogen and O2 will not
be regained in internal combustion no matter how you handle it. Unless
electricity is *dirt* cheap where you live, or you're using a renewable
primary energy source to generate it, you'll lose money on the deal.

JRE

Nasty looking intake manifold!! fenderjw VW air cooled 8 May 7th 07 05:56 PM
Intake manifold dosio Ford Explorer 7 February 20th 07 10:53 PM
5.9 Hi-Po Intake Manifold RCSnyder Jeep 11 February 3rd 06 01:52 AM
M30 Intake Manifold Bill BMW 6 November 21st 04 12:39 PM
GT intake manifold crack C Miller Ford Mustang 8 November 12th 04 06:06 PM