1992 Wrangler won't start in Morning

Old November 18th 05, 11:33 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Default 1992 Wrangler won't start in Morning

L.W (Bill) thank you for your reply. I have bought a brand new battery and put it in, but the rattling noise is still there and when I first turn the ignition switch the battery voltage reads around 12 or little bit before the third thin bar. When I start the car it goes
all the way up to 14 V or little bit before it.

How can I check to see if the Alternator needs to be changed? I have double checked
the belt tension and it is around half an inch.

Thank you for everyone's help. It has been very much appreciated.

--
nelkhour

View this thread: http://www.carstalk.net/viewtopic-360641.html

Send from http://www.carstalk.net

Old November 19th 05, 09:38 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

You may have a starter solenoid going bad, if it only makes noise
from the time you turn the ignition key to the start position and you
hear the starter motor turn the engine.
Your volt meter showing fourteen volts proves the alternator is
working.
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old November 19th 05, 03:22 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

You are still describing not enough power to start the engine. This is
'usually' caused by a dirty main battery cable connection. The cables
get corroded at the battery end and at the block end and at the power
distribution end and at the starter end.

If any one of these are dirty, the power had to arc to pass. This means
the first or second shot with the key only lets enough power to pass to
start relays rattling, not enough to also turn the starter.

You might want to try it next time with the hood open. Try to get it to
rattle a couple times, then go and 'carefully' feel the main battery
terminal ends. If you find a hot one, you have found a bad connection.
be careful, the connections 'can' get hot enough to burn when they arc.

The 12V and 14V you see imply the alternator is working.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's
Aug./05 http://www.imagestation.com/album/in...?id=2120343242