Grand cherokee 96' power cable problem

Old April 17th 07, 12:18 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
mario

Default Grand cherokee 96' power cable problem

is there any hole to install power cable from hood to cabin for my
amplifier? I can't find it! Thanks!

Old April 17th 07, 06:46 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
The Reverend Natural Light

Without cutting or drilling anything:

>From the battery, over the right inner fenderwell, through an existing

hole in the inner fender*, between the right fender and body, feed in
through the grommit that carries the wiring to the right front door**,
under the dash, down the right front kick panel cover, under the front
door sill cover, under the b-pillar cover, under the rear door sill
cover, under the carpet to the space under the back seats, under the
rear carpet to wherever you are mounting the amp.

* Where the wire feeds through the right inner fender, it will chafe.
Over 80k miles, it wore through most of the shielding of the cable I
used (indoor/outdoor AC extension cord - and yes, it works just as
well as Monster cable). Insulate it there and fuse protect at the
battery!

** This will be visible with the door open. Cover with split loom and
no one will notice.

I put a computer in the rear of my '96 and powered it that way. The
audio, display, and IR receiver wiring ran under the carpet along the
transmission tunnel to the center console. I removed the trip
computer module and installed a custom made computer display. It
worked well.

-rev

Old April 17th 07, 10:37 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
mario

thanks!!that will help alot!!I own the car for 2 weeks now,so i don't know
everything about him..
I was trying to find double DIN dashboard to put Alpine Iva W200Ri
multimedia,but no success..
do you have any expirience with that?or will it have to be homemade
dashboard made with fiberglass?i would rather buy if it's possible!

Old April 17th 07, 11:37 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
The Reverend Natural Light

It would take a lot of very custom work to install a double DIN head
unit. The display I built fit in the space normally occupied by the
trip computer. I made it out of aluminum with a smoked plexiglass
face plate. The factory trim piece covered over all the jagged edges
so it looked like a professional job. Underneath the plastic was a
vacuum flourescent character display and an IR receiver. I programmed
the computer to respond to a credit card sized remote control from a
Kenwood stereo and play MP3s through the stock stereo. It looked damn
cool with the power on. With the power off, it blacked out completely
and looked just like the OEM trip computer.

That was in 2000 and you couldn't buy anything like that at a store.
Today you can, and for a lot less than I spent in parts.

So, unless you're really skilled with fiberglass and plastic
fabrication, you're stuck with OEM, single DIN, or an aftermarket GM/
Chrysler sized unit.

-rev

Old April 22nd 07, 04:21 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
philthy[_1_]

attach it to the battery and run it thru the fire wall by drilling a
hole in a area that won't hurt anything
running it thru the door jamb will result in a car fire

mario wrote:

> is there any hole to install power cable from hood to cabin for my
> amplifier? I can't find it! Thanks!

2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee power drain problem [email protected] 4x4 1 March 23rd 07 03:29 AM
Power Window/ 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee James[_1_] Jeep 7 October 5th 06 03:22 AM
93 Grand Cherokee Power Window D Jeep 11 July 13th 06 11:04 PM
'00 Cherokee Power Window Problem joe blow Jeep 4 May 30th 05 01:14 PM
Grand Cherokee 4WD problem Micah 4x4 0 December 2nd 04 09:03 PM