Power Window/ 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Old September 30th 06, 05:52 PM posted to alt.jeep-l,rec.autos.jeep,rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
James[_1_]

Default Power Window/ 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee

The right, front window just stopped working. I can hear the motor working,
but it stops after about a second. The window might come down an inch or
so, but usually it will not move.

I can manually raise the window. When fully raised, it gradually slides
down while I am driving.

Any idea of the likely culprit, and repair process ?

Is it more likely the motor (I guess they call it an actuator , maybe ?)
or a window off-track ?

Thanks for any tips.

--James--

Old September 30th 06, 06:40 PM posted to alt.jeep-l,rec.autos.jeep,rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
DougW

James wrote:
> The right, front window just stopped working. I can hear the motor
> working, but it stops after about a second. The window might come
> down an inch or so, but usually it will not move.
>

> I can manually raise the window. When fully raised, it gradually
> slides down while I am driving.
>
> Any idea of the likely culprit, and repair process ?
>
> Is it more likely the motor (I guess they call it an actuator ,
> maybe ?) or a window off-track ?

Sounds like the gears have stripped in the regulator.
That's about a $65 part (model years 99-00) from
http://www.chryslerpartsdirect.com/
You will have to take it out to make sure it's not the motor.
The motor runs about $79

Your basically going to have to take the door panel off and get to
the motor. Watch the door trims plastic edges, they are dang sharp.

--
DougW

Old September 30th 06, 10:41 PM posted to alt.jeep-l,rec.autos.jeep,rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
XS11E[_1_]

"James" > wrote in
:

> The right, front window just stopped working. I can hear the
> motor working, but it stops after about a second. The window
> might come down an inch or so, but usually it will not move.
>

> I can manually raise the window. When fully raised, it gradually
> slides down while I am driving.
>
> Any idea of the likely culprit, and repair process ?
>
> Is it more likely the motor (I guess they call it an actuator ,
> maybe ?) or a window off-track ?

Possibly off track, the plastic wheels that ride in the track like to
break. Unfortunately you can't get the wheels, you'll have to buy the
assembly.

Whatever it is, you'll see it as soon as you remove the door panel.

Old October 1st 06, 02:26 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III[_1_]

Hi James,
Window regulator, like Doug said. A piece of plastic causes the
whole thing to be replaced: http://www.billhughes.com/windregu.jpg
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O

Old October 1st 06, 01:42 PM posted to alt.jeep-l,rec.autos.jeep,rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
James[_1_]

Thanks to Doug and Bill for replies. But I am just a bit
confused........... I thought the "motor" was the same thing as the
regulator. Isn't that true ?

Doug said the it is likely that the gears have stippped in the
regulator............ then says that I will have to take it out to make
sure its not the motor. (???)

Basically, isn't it quite likely that I will have to buy an assembly that
will be the entire contraption that powers the window, and that they call
this assembly the regulator ??

Thanks again guys !!

--James---

Old October 1st 06, 11:12 PM posted to alt.jeep-l,rec.autos.jeep,rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Lon

James proclaimed:
> Thanks to Doug and Bill for replies. But I am just a bit
> confused........... I thought the "motor" was the same thing as the
> regulator. Isn't that true ?
>
> Doug said the it is likely that the gears have stippped in the
> regulator............ then says that I will have to take it out to make
> sure its not the motor. (???)
>
> Basically, isn't it quite likely that I will have to buy an assembly that
> will be the entire contraption that powers the window, and that they call
> this assembly the regulator ??
>
> Thanks again guys !!

Give a google for 2000 grand cherokee window parts regulator motor
[the top links are eBay style, which are a bit ugly to post]
Appears to be available as separate pieces.
Old October 2nd 06, 12:06 AM posted to alt.jeep-l,rec.autos.jeep,rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
DougW

James wrote:
> Thanks to Doug and Bill for replies. But I am just a bit
> confused........... I thought the "motor" was the same thing as the
> regulator. Isn't that true ?

Two assemblies. The regulator is the gear and arm assembly that moves
the glass. The motor moves the whole thing vs having to hand crank.

> Doug said the it is likely that the gears have stippped in the
> regulator............ then says that I will have to take it out to
> make sure its not the motor. (???)

I don't posess either x-ray vision or a crystal ball. Sometimes
the motors gear assembly breakes and that can cause similar problems.

> Basically, isn't it quite likely that I will have to buy an assembly
> that will be the entire contraption that powers the window, and that
> they call this assembly the regulator ??

They sell it as two parts. The regulator and the motor.

--
DougW

Old October 5th 06, 03:22 AM posted to alt.jeep-l,rec.autos.jeep,rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
James[_1_]

Thanks Doug, and to other nice replies !!!

--James--