Finds - File 46 of 96 - 1961 AMC Rambler Ambassador dash.jpg (1/1)

Old December 18th 06, 08:00 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.autos
Mike G.

Default Finds - File 46 of 96 - 1961 AMC Rambler Ambassador dash.jpg (1/1)

No such thing as a 57 Edsel.....want to try again dumb****.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edsel

The Edsel was a make of automobile manufactured by the Ford Motor Company during the 1958, 1959, and 1960 model years. The car
brand is best known as one of the most spectacular failures in the history of the United States automobile industry.

For the 1958 model year, Edsel produced four models, including the larger Mercury-based Citation and Corsair, and the smaller,
more affordable Ford-based Pacer and Ranger. The Citation came in two-door and four-door hardtops, and two-door convertible
versions. The Corsair came in two-door and four-door hardtop versions. The Pacer came in two-door and four-door hardtops,
four-door sedan, and two-door convertible. The Ranger came in two-door and four-door hardtop or sedan versions. The four-door
Bermuda and Villager wagons, and the two-door Roundup wagon were based on the 116" wheelbase Ford station wagon platform and
shared the trim and features of the Ranger and Pacer models. It included several features that were, at the time, cutting-edge
innovations, among which were its "rolling dome" speedometer and its Teletouch transmission shifting system, on the center of the
steering wheel. Other less-touted but more enduring design innovations included a primitive attempt at ergonomically-designed
controls for the driver, and self-adjusting brakes (often claimed as a first for the industry, although this was not so --
Studebaker had pioneered them earlier in the decade).

63,110 Edsels sold the first year. Though this was below expectations, it was still the second largest car launch for any brand to
date, second only to the Plymouth introduction in 1928.

For the 1959 model year there were only two Edsels: the Ranger and the Corsair which was really a relabeled Pacer. The two larger
cars were not produced. The new Corsair came in two-door and four-door hardtops, four-door sedan, and two-door convertible. The
Ranger came in two-door and four-door hardtops, two-door and four-door sedans, and the Villager station wagon. 44,891 cars sold in
model year 1959.

For the 1960 model year, Edsel's last, only the Ranger and Villager were produced. The 1960 Edsel, in its final model year,
emerged as a Ford - its grill, hood, and four tail lights, along with its side sweep spears being the only real differences
separating the Edsel from Ford.

Ford announced the end of the Edsel program on Thursday, November 19, 1959. However, cars continued being produced until late in
November, with the final tally at 2,848 1960 models.

http://www.edsel.com/index.html

http://www.edselmotors.com/

http://www.failuremag.com/arch_history_edsel.html

A Car Is Born

On September 4, 1957 the Edsel made its debut in showrooms across the country. The launch came on the heels of an extensive,
expensive and exceptionally successful marketing campaign that had everybody talking about this mysterious new automobile. Months
earlier ads began running that simply pictured the hood ornament, underscored with "The Edsel is Coming." Another ad depicted a
covered car carrier with the same tag line. Meanwhile, the company went to great lengths to keep the car's features and appearance
a secret. Dealers were required to store the vehicles undercover, and could be fined or lose their franchise if they showed the
cars before the release date. With all the hype it's no surprise that consumers were eager to see what the fuss was about.

When September 4th rolled around consumers flocked to the dealerships in record numbers. For a day or so Edsel executives were
thrilled-until they realized that people weren't buying, they were only coming to look. "The company expected to sell a daily
minimum of 400 Edsels through 1,200 dealers," says Gayle Warnock, director of public relations for the Edsel launch and author of
The Edsel Affair. "That was the pencil pushers' requirement for a successful launch. We never made it," he laments.

"The public thought there was something radically new coming out," reminds Bob Ellsworth, owner and operator of edsel.com. "But it
was really just another 1958 [model] car. It had more gizmos and gadgets on it but it wasn't anything that lived up to the hype."
In retrospect, Warnock realizes that Edsel executives didn't take the most sensible approach to marketing the car. "I learned that
a company should never allow its spokespersons to build up enthusiasm for an unseen, unproven product," he says.

Over the course of three model years ('58, '59 and '60) approximately 118,000 Edsels were manufactured in the U.S. and Canada.
Today, there are a couple thousand Edsels on the road, with three- to six-thousand others in storage or in various states of
restoration.

http://www.edsel.net/billyjoel.html

Well, the Ford Motor Company introduced the 1958 model Edsel automobile on September 4, 1957 after much fanfare. Initial sales
were disappointing to say the least. Ford had hoped to sell 200,000 of the 1958 model Edsels, but ended up only producing 68,045.

To try and bolster sales, Ford redesigned the car somewhat and removed some features that had not done well on the 58's, but again
sales were very low, compared to expectations. Only 47,396 of the 1959 models were produced.

The 1960 model was released in the fall of 59, but was basically a 1960 Ford with some sheet metal changes and did not resemble
the earlier models very much at all. Only 2,846 of the 1960 models were produced, mainly just to fulfill dealer contracts.

Ford decided to discontinue the Edsel in favor of smaller cars that were becoming popular at the time, and on November 19, 1959
announced that it would no longer produce Edsels.

http://www.hubcapcafe.com/ocs/edsel.htm

The Edsel was introduced as a 1958 model positioned between Ford and Mercury. Edsel had a short three model year history,
production ended with the 1960 models.

They were only sold as 1958, 1959, and 1960 models.

http://www.answers.com/topic/edsel

The Edsel was a make of automobile manufactured by the Ford Motor Company during the 1958, 1959 and 1960 model years. The car
brand is best known as one of the most spectacular failures in the history of the United States automobile industry.

http://www.fiftiesweb.com/pop/edsel.htm

THE EDSEL

A good idea...that didn't sell.

Introduced in the fall of '57 for the '58 season, the Edsel came into the world with a big fanfare and lots of hoopla. 2.5 million
people rushed to showrooms to see it.

Trouble was, few of them bought.

The car, named after Edsel Ford, the only son of the company's founder, Henry Ford, was different. Not everybody liked it.

Priced at $2300 for a 2 door Ranger Sedan to $3489 for a Citation Convertible, the design of Roy A. Brown, Jr. debuted in an
economic recession. Car sales were down.

After three model years and just 110,847 Edsels later, Ford Motor Company threw in the towel, and went about trying to forget
about the whole ordeal.

Today less than 6000 Edsels survive, and each one is a cherished classic. The 1958 Edsel advertising said it best - "Once you've
seen it, you'll never forget it. Once you've owned it, you'll never want to change."

--
Some people are like slinkies.......... they are not really good for anything, but..... They still bring a smile to your face when
you push them down a flight of stairs.

Old December 18th 06, 08:01 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.autos
Mike G.

Old December 18th 06, 08:01 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.autos
Mike G.

Old December 18th 06, 08:14 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.autos
Mike G.

You know, I just looked at what you posted....better go look your self.....blows you out of the water!
1958s, 1959, and 1960s HA!

Old December 18th 06, 08:14 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.autos
Mike G.

Old December 18th 06, 08:30 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.autos
Mike G.

Hold your cursor over the pictures and when it turns into a hand with a finger pointing, click the mouse button.
Funny thing happens....takes you to the sites where you learn that THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A 1957 EDSEL!!!!
Imagine that!
Billy Boy

--
"

Old December 18th 06, 08:57 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.autos
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III[_1_]

Why are you telling me, useless? Why don't you direct your
statements to Google? BTW I owned an Edsel in 1957:
http://www.billhughes.com/temp/58edsel.mpg
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O

Old December 18th 06, 08:57 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.autos
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III[_1_]

Old December 18th 06, 09:59 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.autos
MagisterMax

I think this one may be a 58 Edsel Citation convertible dashboard.

Max

"Mike G" > wrote in message
.. .