Re post - 1941-Chrysler-Thunderbolt-fvl.jpg [251K]

Old June 5th 20, 06:10 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.autos
Bebub

Default Re post - 1941-Chrysler-Thunderbolt-fvl.jpg [251K]

I could be wrong but I think this car came with a turbine type engine. I can't remember the exact name they uesed for the engine but these are extremely rare. Jay Leno has one. Let me know if I'm wrong.
Also while strnage looking, these cars came with options nobody else did, flip up headlights, electric seats etc.

Old June 6th 20, 12:08 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.autos
Rich

On 6/5/20 1:10 PM, Bebub wrote:
> I could be wrong but I think this car came with a turbine type engine. I can't remember the exact name they uesed for the engine but these are extremely rare. Jay Leno has one. Let me know if I'm wrong.
> Also while strnage looking, these cars came with options nobody else did, flip up headlights, electric seats etc.

Much like the 1938 Peugeot Decapotable, the Thunderbolt was equipped
with a fully retractable hardtop. Unlike modern equivalents, this meant
the entire rear end was taken up by the roof mechanism. This left room
for only one bench seat in the cockpit which could accommodate three
passengers abreast.
Much like the Crown Imperial which Chrysler was flaunting at the time,
the Thunderbolt was equipped with a host of electric features. These
included the electro-hydraulic doors, electric windows and pop-up
headlights. The interior was particularly plush with leather upholstery
and a bespoke aluminum dashboard.
The body was executed by Lebaron in Detroit to a design by Alex
Tremulis. It was built as a tribute to George Eyston’s 1938 Thunderbolt
which reached 357.53 mph on the Bonneville Salt Flats. Both cars shared
the same fenderless, slab-sided shape with wheel shirts. Untypical of
era, the Thunderbolt had no front grill. The overall shape was described
as aerodynamic and was an influence for the 1941 Chrysler Newport Parade
Phaeton. It was built on a 1940 Chrysler Crown Imperial frame with an
aluminum body. Power came from the Chrysler L-head straight-8 which
provided around 150 bhp.
Only five or six Thunderbolts were built. They were first seen at the
1940 New York Auto show and subsequently displayed across the United
States. Each had a different paint scheme and some had polished brass
accents. Later on the name was resurrected by Chrsyler in 1993 as a
concept car.
7807943-Known as the ‘Copper Car’ it an original copper retractable roof
and lower body trim. After extensive touring it was sold in March of
1941 and the subsequent owner who had a 331 cubic inch hemi-head
Chrysler engine installed. Acquired in the 60s by Bill Harrah. Restored
by Tired Iron Works of Monrovia, California in 2009 with original engine
located. The Teal colour was chosen from period artwork. Displayed at
the 2009 Amelia Island Concours d’Elegance, 2009Pebble Beach Concours
d’Elegance and offered at RM Auction’s Automobiles of Arizona sale but
it was Not Sold at a high bid of $1,175,000 USD.

Old June 6th 20, 05:37 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.autos
dmoorman

On Jun 6, 2020, Rich wrote
(in article >):

> On 6/5/20 1:10 PM, Bebub wrote:
> > I could be wrong but I think this car came with a turbine type engine. I
> > can't remember the exact name they uesed for the engine but these are
> > extremely rare. Jay Leno has one. Let me know if I'm wrong.
> > Also while strnage looking, these cars came with options nobody else did,
> > flip up headlights, electric seats etc.

> Much like the 1938 Peugeot Decapotable, the Thunderbolt was equipped
> with a fully retractable hardtop. Unlike modern equivalents, this meant
> the entire rear end was taken up by the roof mechanism. This left room
> for only one bench seat in the cockpit which could accommodate three
> passengers abreast.
> Much like the Crown Imperial which Chrysler was flaunting at the time,
> the Thunderbolt was equipped with a host of electric features. These
> included the electro-hydraulic doors, electric windows and pop-up
> headlights. The interior was particularly plush with leather upholstery
> and a bespoke aluminum dashboard.
> The body was executed by Lebaron in Detroit to a design by Alex
> Tremulis. It was built as a tribute to George Eyston’s 1938 Thunderbolt
> which reached 357.53 mph on the Bonneville Salt Flats. Both cars shared
> the same fenderless, slab-sided shape with wheel shirts. Untypical of
> era, the Thunderbolt had no front grill. The overall shape was described
> as aerodynamic and was an influence for the 1941 Chrysler Newport Parade
> Phaeton. It was built on a 1940 Chrysler Crown Imperial frame with an
> aluminum body. Power came from the Chrysler L-head straight-8 which
> provided around 150 bhp.
> Only five or six Thunderbolts were built. They were first seen at the
> 1940 New York Auto show and subsequently displayed across the United
> States. Each had a different paint scheme and some had polished brass
> accents. Later on the name was resurrected by Chrsyler in 1993 as a
> concept car.
> 7807943-Known as the ‘Copper Car’ it an original copper retractable roof
> and lower body trim. After extensive touring it was sold in March of
> 1941 and the subsequent owner who had a 331 cubic inch hemi-head
> Chrysler engine installed. Acquired in the 60s by Bill Harrah. Restored
> by Tired Iron Works of Monrovia, California in 2009 with original engine
> located. The Teal colour was chosen from period artwork. Displayed at
> the 2009 Amelia Island Concours d’Elegance, 2009Pebble Beach Concours
> d’Elegance and offered at RM Auction’s Automobiles of Arizona sale but
> it was Not Sold at a high bid of $1,175,000 USD.

Interesting background, Rich. I had expected it to be a 1950s creation, but
much earlier than that apparently. Way ahead of its time!

Old June 9th 20, 06:51 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.autos
Leroy Curtis

Default Re post - 1941-Chrysler-Thunderbolt-fvl.jpg [251K] [1/1]

In article >, Bebub >
writes
>I could be wrong but I think this car came with a turbine type engine.
>I can't remember the exact name they uesed for the engine but these are
>extremely rare. Jay Leno has one. Let me know if I'm wrong.
>Also while strnage looking, these cars came with options nobody else
>did, flip up headlights, electric seats etc.

I think you may be confusing the Thunderbolt with the Chrysler Turbine
Car, of which 55 were built in 1963-4 for a public test programme. That
was powered by a gas turbine engine, most of the cars were recalled by
Chrysler at the end of the programme, with only 9 surviving, one of
which as you rightly say, is in Jay Leno's collection.

--
Regards

Leroy Curtis

Please replace "nospam" with "baram" in my address if you wish to
reply by Email

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	280px-Chrysler_027.jpg