What size nut goes onto a typical US passenger tire Schrader valve?

Old December 7th 16, 06:40 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
Leon Schneider

Default What size nut goes onto a typical US passenger tire Schrader valve?

wrote on Tue, 06 Dec 2016 17:44:38 -0500:

> just use a metal valvecap and a washer.. The actual thread is a
> .305X32 - which is NOT a standard fastener thread.

The standard metal cap and a washer would work but I think I'll just buy
the right tool.

There are so many valve removal and replacement tools that it isn't funny.

This one has a screwdrover-hook to remove and a screwdriver-funnel to
replace for example.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgDzZIop_uw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9l4pJNg9k0I

This guy just broke the old valve off and used the 4-way tool to put the
new valve back on.
https://youtu.be/HZSvNRifTDw
Old December 7th 16, 06:40 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
Leon Schneider

Tekkie? wrote on Tue, 6 Dec 2016 15:45:19 -0500:

> You may have a TPMS stem.

It's the old style (1995) valve stem so there is no TPMS.
Sorry for not mentioning this in the OP.
Old December 7th 16, 10:08 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
Steve W.[_6_]

Leon Schneider wrote:
> RonNNN wrote on Tue, 6 Dec 2016 15:39:37 -0600:
>
>> 4-way valve stem tools cost less than $2. It amazes me why some people
>> want to reinvent some things.

> Assuming the tire is off the rim, can I both remove an old valve and
> replace it with a new valve using that cheap 4-way tool?

Easily. To remove the old one you just cut the inside section off. That
keeps you from trying to reuse an old stem.
Next take the new stem, coat it with either tire lube or some very soapy
water and put it through the hole, then pull with the 4 way while moving
your hand in a circle (not turning the valve). It will pull right into
place.

--
Steve W.
Old December 7th 16, 02:02 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

On Wed, 7 Dec 2016 05:35:41 -0000 (UTC), Leon Schneider
> wrote:

>RonNNN wrote on Tue, 6 Dec 2016 15:39:37 -0600:
>
>> 4-way valve stem tools cost less than $2. It amazes me why some people
>> want to reinvent some things.

>Assuming the tire is off the rim, can I both remove an old valve and
>replace it with a new valve using that cheap 4-way tool?

Remove with a utility knife, install with the tool. Soap the stem
first.
Old December 7th 16, 02:06 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

On Wed, 7 Dec 2016 05:40:20 -0000 (UTC), Leon Schneider
> wrote:

wrote on Tue, 06 Dec 2016 17:44:38 -0500:

>> just use a metal valvecap and a washer.. The actual thread is a
>> .305X32 - which is NOT a standard fastener thread.

>The standard metal cap and a washer would work but I think I'll just buy
>the right tool.
>
>There are so many valve removal and replacement tools that it isn't funny.
>
>This one has a screwdrover-hook to remove and a screwdriver-funnel to
>replace for example.
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgDzZIop_uw
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9l4pJNg9k0I
>
>This guy just broke the old valve off and used the 4-way tool to put the
>new valve back on.
>https://youtu.be/HZSvNRifTDw

pretty slick!! (the funnel type)
Old December 7th 16, 05:59 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
Leon Schneider

Ralph Mowery wrote on Wed, 7 Dec 2016 09:59:24 -0500:

> Yes, just lube it with something.
>
> They do make valve stems that instead of a friction fit that have a nut
> on the outside so the valve stem fits on like a bolt.

I have seen those nut-type valve stems in the stores, and I read while I
looked this up that alloy wheels often use them.

I have steel wheels so I'll use the rubber but is the procedure the same
for the nut-type?

Or do you just unscrew them and they fall out and you screw them and they
go in (without any special tools)?
Old December 7th 16, 05:59 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
Leon Schneider

RonNNN wrote on Wed, 7 Dec 2016 06:35:52 -0600:

> Yes. And as you've posted the video's you now know you can change the
> stem without removing the tire.

Thanks for confirming that the cheap tool works just fine for my purpose,
where the tire is already off the rim.

The one hook-and-funnel tool works with the tire on the rim, whereas the
rest of the tools I found work with the bead broken at least well enough to
get your hand in there.

Since I've seen in the videos people replacing the valve by breaking the
bead while the tire is still on the car, one guy had a neat trick where he
tied a long string to a drywall screw and before he cut the old valve stem
in half, he screwed the screw into the backside (inside the tire) of the
rubber valve stem.

That way, if the inside cut-off rubber part fell, he could retrieve it
easily. For him, this was important because he was breaking the bead with
the wheel still mounted to the vehicle.

For me, the tire will always be off the rim so I don't need that
string-and-screw trick, but it's nice to know about in a pinch.