Strangest Tire Question EVERRR...

Old May 4th 20, 07:07 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default Strangest Tire Question EVERRR...

Steve W.

No difference, even though the atmosphere, and the human, are not inside
a container, as with the air in a tire?
Old May 4th 20, 10:02 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Arlen Holder[_4_]

> Obviously. Not worth discussing with those who mistake
> and interchangeably use the terms force and pressure.
> Don't get them started on energy and power.

While...
o Force = pressure per unit area

What always confuses me are things like centrifugal versus centripedal
forces (yes, I know, frames of reference stuff)...

There's a good graph here...
<http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/force.html#defor>

Energy/power/work often confuse me when engaged in casual conversation...
o <http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/work.html>

Work is the result of a force and movement in the direction of that force:
o A force of 20 newtons pushing an object 5 meters in the direction of the
force does 100 joules of work.

Energy is the capacity for doing work:
o To do 100 joules of work, you must expend 100 joules of energy.

Power is the rate of doing work (or of using energy)
o If you do 100 joules of work in one second (using 100 joules of energy),
the power is 100 watts.

In casual speech, this gets confusing for me, where when I was in graduate
school, it was better ingrained, but I lost that advantage decades ago.
--
Usenet is so much more valuable, and pleasant, when people share solutions.
Old May 5th 20, 12:23 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Xeno

On 5/5/20 7:02 am, Arlen Holder wrote:

>> Obviously. Not worth discussing with those who mistake
>> and interchangeably use the terms force and pressure.
>> Don't get them started on energy and power.

> While... o Force = pressure per unit area
>
> What always confuses me are things like centrifugal versus centripedal
> forces (yes, I know, frames of reference stuff)...
> There's a good graph here...
> <http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/force.html#defor>
>
> Energy/power/work often confuse me when engaged in casual conversation...
> o <http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/work.html>
>
> Work is the result of a force and movement in the direction of that force:
> o A force of 20 newtons pushing an object 5 meters in the direction of the
> force does 100 joules of work.
> Energy is the capacity for doing work:
> o To do 100 joules of work, you must expend 100 joules of energy.
> Power is the rate of doing work (or of using energy)
> o If you do 100 joules of work in one second (using 100 joules of energy),
> the power is 100 watts.
> In casual speech, this gets confusing for me, where when I was in graduate
> school, it was better ingrained, but I lost that advantage decades ago.

Centrifugal force is a convenient fiction.

--

Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)
Old May 5th 20, 04:00 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Arlen Holder[_4_]

> Centrifugal force is a convenient fiction.

Indeed.
o At least from one point of view.