Need Help! Weird high pitched sound... What is this?

Old February 21st 06, 03:03 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default Need Help! Weird high pitched sound... What is this?

Hello Google Groups,
I'm really in need of your help. I'm a student and don't have much
money so I'm hoping to deal with this problem on my own. I drive a
Honda Prelude 1990. Last night on my way home, I started hearing this
weird high pitched sound which did not change with acceleration,
pressing the gas, break, clutch, moving, not moving... etc. The car
had been on the road a bit so its not the cold. I got home and popped
the hood with the engine on and I saw blue electrical arching near the
distributor so I immediately turned off the engine. The wire that goes
from the ignition coil to the distributor had come loose (distributor
end) and the rubber housing was fried from arching. I tried putting it
back on, but when I turned the engine back on, it slipped off again. I
let the car be over night. Today, I located my old wires (I had
replaced plugs and wires 4 months ago and kept the old wires) and
replaced the fried one. The wire stays on but the weird high pitched
sound still remains. I pressed on the gas paddle while in neutral but
the noise frequency and intensity does not change as before. What
could this be? Did the arching mess up my distributor? Is my ignition
coil bad? Or was there two separate problems to start with? If anyone
has insight I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks all.
-Yong

Old February 21st 06, 04:06 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

could try looking under there when its dark out.
keep hands clear but look for more arcing.
make sure you ahve those wires pushed on all the way. sounds like you dont.

oups.com...

Old February 21st 06, 04:09 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

other noises could be belts and such, tis the season

oups.com...

Old February 22nd 06, 09:47 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hello Google Groups,
> I'm really in need of your help. I'm a student and don't have much
> money so I'm hoping to deal with this problem on my own. I drive a
> Honda Prelude 1990. Last night on my way home, I started hearing this
> weird high pitched sound which did not change with acceleration,
> pressing the gas, break, clutch, moving, not moving... etc. The car
> had been on the road a bit so its not the cold. I got home and popped
> the hood with the engine on and I saw blue electrical arching near the
> distributor so I immediately turned off the engine. The wire that goes
> from the ignition coil to the distributor had come loose (distributor
> end) and the rubber housing was fried from arching. I tried putting it
> back on, but when I turned the engine back on, it slipped off again. I
> let the car be over night. Today, I located my old wires (I had
> replaced plugs and wires 4 months ago and kept the old wires) and
> replaced the fried one. The wire stays on but the weird high pitched
> sound still remains. I pressed on the gas paddle while in neutral but
> the noise frequency and intensity does not change as before. What
> could this be? Did the arching mess up my distributor? Is my ignition
> coil bad? Or was there two separate problems to start with? If anyone
> has insight I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks all.
> -Yong

...and turn completely off ALL your sound equipment, as it will pick up
such noises even with the volume turned completely down. HTH, s

Old February 28th 06, 07:10 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

> ...and turn completely off ALL your sound equipment, as it will pick up
> such noises even with the volume turned completely down. HTH, s

speaking of which, kill your A/C too and see if it persists