clutch question, manual tire changer question

Old August 21st 05, 08:25 PM
Troy

Default clutch question, manual tire changer question

When I have to someday replace my clutch in my TJ, are there any "heavy
duty" clutches I can get for it? Something that would grip a bit better
than stock? I noticed I can't pull vehicles too large outta sand without
burning my stock one up a bit.

Also, I've seen manual tire changers on the internet, are they worth a damn?
Or should I just buddy up with a tire shop here in town for swapping tires
on rims? I saw this one: http://www.wikco.com/Tire.html

Troy

Old August 21st 05, 09:08 PM
Earle Horton

Things that might help your clutch are a winch, and regearing the axles.
What gear ratio is it now? A clutch is not really designed to deliver power
while slipping. Really, there are two legitimate positions for the clutch
pedal, down and up.

I have used toy tire changers before. They are not much fun.

Earle

Old August 22nd 05, 05:32 AM
Will Honea

Dad had a tire changer he got from Harbor Freight, of all places, out
on the farm before he passed away 3 years ago. The particular one had
was pretty handy - after he did a lot of welding to set up a decent
base for it. Every other toy changer I've seen/used was more work to
use than a BMFH and a decent set of irons. Well worth a few bucks
just in the time you save by having a decently equipped shop do the
dirty work IMNSHO.

On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 20:08:58 UTC "Earle Horton"

--
Will Honea
Old August 22nd 05, 06:33 AM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

This is my bolt to lug or it's hole, over center lug "T" wrench
bead breaker bar: http://www.billhughes.com/beadBuster.jpg
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O

Old August 22nd 05, 03:58 PM
Will Honea

That reminded me of one I saw years ago on a Model A. It bolted to
the hub via the lug nuts so you could break the bead then had a center
slot to pivot the spoon to pull the bead over the rim. Watched a guy
break the tire, pull the tube, patch it and be on his way in just a
few minutes. Of course, breaking the bead on a Model A tire was more
like doing a bicycle tire than one of today's safety rims...

On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 05:33:05 UTC L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

--
Will Honea
Old August 22nd 05, 04:04 PM
Earle Horton

http://www.wingtechtips.com/TireChange/tirechange.htm

Earle

Old August 22nd 05, 06:50 PM
Troy

Ya my first instinct was to winch it out but the last time the girl was
surrounded by about 25 yards of sugar sand all around, except for the ocean
part, where the tide was moving in on her heh heh. I'm running 4.56 gears
w/33's... and she had a stuck mitsubishi 4 door deal buried up to the
underbody... Not from around here apparently cuz no one else was around
that area of the beach. I had to pull her out and across all this sand, and
I think she might have hit the brakes a time or two while doing it.

This jeep is my first manual transmission and I wasn't sure if I could get
more "grip" with the tranny with a higher performance clutch. A buddy has
had a ceramic one put in his mustang and says its a big difference, I'm just
not sure if it would be the same for a jeep? (TJ)

After reading all these posts, I suppose I'll pay a local shop to swap
tires... I wanted my rims on my jeep put on my gf's and I'm getting new
ones, so there'll be 10 rim/swaps going on, and I'm sure I'll want to get
another set of mudders for some special occasion sometime in the future.

I have seen where they fill the tire with ether and blow it up on the rim,
anyone have any luck with that?

Troy

news:1124654684.3caff463c37cb8703941f1e8eafa8892@t eranews...

Old August 22nd 05, 07:25 PM
One out of many daves

Yeah I have that HF tool also;
I also welded up some metal to make a sturdy base I can bolt it to so it is
truly "portable".
It works well enough for me and I have changed a couple of dozen tires with
it. So it has paid for itself esp. since I bought it on sale for $35. ;-)
BTW I usually use a towel to protect the wheels while I break the bead!

later,
dave AKA vwdoc1

Old August 23rd 05, 10:45 PM
Mike Romain

Well there should be some links floating around about the 'Darwin
Award' wanna be's playing with ether and tires. Usually after a few
beer too...

You wrap a strap around the center of the tire and either winch it up
or use the tire iron and twist it up like a tourniquet. This pulls in
the center and pushes out the bead to the rim.

Manually changing an off road large tire sucks the big one!

You should be thinking about a centerforce clutch for pulls like that.
The higher the rpm you hit it at, the harder it grabs.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old August 23rd 05, 11:05 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

I wish I'd had kept the video of a tire being blown off the rim,
using starter fluid and an oxygen bottle.
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Mike Romain wrote:

> Well there should be some links floating around about the 'Darwin
> Award' wanna be's playing with ether and tires. Usually after a few
> beer too...
>
> You wrap a strap around the center of the tire and either winch it up
> or use the tire iron and twist it up like a tourniquet. This pulls in
> the center and pushes out the bead to the rim.
>
> Manually changing an off road large tire sucks the big one!
>
> You should be thinking about a centerforce clutch for pulls like that.
> The higher the rpm you hit it at, the harder it grabs.
>
> Mike
> 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Mopar A/C Compressor Clutch Question? Bob Mariotti Technology 1 July 28th 05 10:42 PM
stuck caliper... Abeness Honda 113 December 7th 04 01:22 AM
BMW e39 CD changer cable question David Cook BMW 1 December 5th 04 03:44 PM
Interesting...Expired Tires Patrick Ford Mustang 4 November 10th 04 03:42 AM
e36 clutch pedal adjustment question P-u-h-e-k BMW 1 October 11th 04 11:41 PM