Brand new battery, battery light still comes ON and off

Old February 10th 06, 03:21 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Default Brand new battery, battery light still comes ON and off

Can anyone help me out please
Car: 1991 Honda Accord Wagon
=====================

OK after getting some advice I replaced the battery and put in a brand new
one. Now the car starts and runs fine however, when the batter light is on I
cannout use the alam/automatic unlock button in my key. The alam light stays
ON. After driving a few blocks the battery light goes off and evreything
seems fine.

I am worried because this is what it did for the last week until yesterday
when my car died and would not start. So I got a new battery.

Why is the battery light coming on.

Old February 10th 06, 09:02 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

The battery light usually indicates an alternator problem. Have it checked.
It probably is not charging the battery which you should not have changed
until you had the system checked out.

rvers.com...

Old February 10th 06, 11:19 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

"adf" <afsd> wrote in
rvers.com:

> Can anyone help me out please
> Car: 1991 Honda Accord Wagon
> =====================
>
> OK after getting some advice I replaced the battery and put in a brand
> new one.

Who gave you the "advice"?

> Now the car starts and runs fine however, when the batter
> light is on I cannout use the alam/automatic unlock button in my key.
> The alam light stays ON. After driving a few blocks the battery light
> goes off and evreything seems fine.

Something's wrong with the alternator or the charging circuit.

Did anybody ever check the voltage? Both battery and system voltage when
engine running?

> I am worried because this is what it did for the last week until
> yesterday when my car died and would not start. So I got a new
> battery.

Spray-and-pray usually doesn't work.

> Why is the battery light coming on.

See above. You should have asked that before replacing the battery.

--
TeGGeR®

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Old February 11th 06, 03:26 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

[snip]
> > Now the car starts and runs fine however, when the batter
> > light is on I cannout use the alam/automatic unlock button in my key.
> > The alam light stays ON. After driving a few blocks the battery light
> > goes off and evreything seems fine.

> Something's wrong with the alternator or the charging circuit.
>
> Did anybody ever check the voltage? Both battery and system voltage when
> engine running?

I had a very similar problem to this. Took the car to an auto-electrician
who recommended I replace my alternator with a 'rebuilt' one, at the cost of
a few hundred dollars. Took car to another guy who replaced the alternator
brushes for 50 dollars. Problem fixed.