Conventional oil hard to find?

Old March 28th 21, 11:16 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Wade Garrett

Default Conventional oil hard to find?

On 3/28/21 3:44 PM, The Real Bev wrote:
> On 03/28/2021 10:17 AM, Wade Garrett wrote:
>
>> It's really hard for me to understand why this is such a long thread
>> that includes so many erudite discussions of motor oil chemistry and
>> operation.
>>
>> Of course you change your filter every timeÂ* you change your oil!
>>
>> Here's why:
>> You're already underneath the vehicle.
>> The drain pan is in already place.

> You forgot "You already broke the cheap Harbor Freight open-end wrench
> on the drain plug and had to go find another one in your tool box. While
> looking for the other wrench you find the 10mm socket you lost a few
> months ago.Â* While contemplating this miracle you forget you were
> looking for the other wrench..."
>
>> You already have oily hands and a greasy smear on your face.
>> You've already skinned your right hand knuckles and yelled Damn it!
>> Walmart sells a standard Fram oil filter for $3.88 while Fram's "Ultra
>> Synthetic 20,000 Mile Change Interval" filter goes for $8.57.
>>
>> I haven't run the filter/car cost ratio/percentage yet...but I paid
>> $44,762 for my ride...

> When I bought the Corolla I decided I was never going to fix another car
> thing.Â* At some point "I'm getting too old for this ****" becomes the
> driving force.
>
> BTW, while walking I found both a regular and a deep 10mm 3/8 socket.
> Different walks, different locations.Â* This is really disturbing.

I'm quick for look for a way to save a buck- but not on tools;
top-drawer stuff all the way.

Of course, if I can find it on sale, I'm on it!

--
Law-abiding legal gun owners in the U.S. possess about 270 million
firearms and billions of rounds of ammunition. Seriously people, if they
Old March 28th 21, 11:51 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Scott Dorsey

The Real Bev > wrote:

>You forgot "You already broke the cheap Harbor Freight open-end wrench
>on the drain plug and had to go find another one in your tool box.
>While looking for the other wrench you find the 10mm socket you lost a
>few months ago. While contemplating this miracle you forget you were
>looking for the other wrench..."

Go out right now and get a set of Wright wrenches. It will save you
a lifetime of torn-up knuckles.

>When I bought the Corolla I decided I was never going to fix another car
>thing. At some point "I'm getting too old for this ****" becomes the
>driving force.

You might not be too old, it might be your tools.
--scott
Old March 29th 21, 01:16 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Wade Garrett

On 3/28/21 7:21 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
> In article >, says...
>>
>> Of course you change your filter every time you change your oil!
>>
>> Here's why:
>> You're already underneath the vehicle.
>> The drain pan is in already place.
>> You already have oily hands and a greasy smear on your face.
>> You've already skinned your right hand knuckles and yelled Damn it!
>> Walmart sells a standard Fram oil filter for $3.88 while Fram's "Ultra
>> Synthetic 20,000 Mile Change Interval" filter goes for $8.57.
>>

> You have not changed the filter on some of the newer cars. Toyota has
> gone to an old timey cartrage type filter instead of the screw on ones.
> You often have to remove much of the shielding or whatever you call that
> stuff under the engine that helps with the wind resistance.
>
> As I have gotten lazy in the last few years and don't drive much, I just
> take my car and truck to the dealer once a year and let them service it
> and inspect it. Doubt they change the filter, but who knows ?

You're right, it's been a while since I've been underneath a Toyota.
Didn't know about the change to hidden cartridge filters.

The oil filter in my wife's Subaru Forester is located on the top side
of the engine opposite the battery with its threaded end facing down.
You can remove the filter wearing white gloves and stay clean. The mess
that drips down into the engine and onto the garage floor is another
story however.

--
Have you ever looked into a mirror and thought...hell no, that can’t be
right.
Old March 29th 21, 01:20 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Steve W.[_6_]

Ralph Mowery wrote:
> In article >, says...
>> Of course you change your filter every time you change your oil!
>>
>> Here's why:
>> You're already underneath the vehicle.
>> The drain pan is in already place.
>> You already have oily hands and a greasy smear on your face.
>> You've already skinned your right hand knuckles and yelled Damn it!
>> Walmart sells a standard Fram oil filter for $3.88 while Fram's "Ultra
>> Synthetic 20,000 Mile Change Interval" filter goes for $8.57.
>>

> You have not changed the filter on some of the newer cars. Toyota has
> gone to an old timey cartrage type filter instead of the screw on ones.
> You often have to remove much of the shielding or whatever you call that
> stuff under the engine that helps with the wind resistance.
>
> As I have gotten lazy in the last few years and don't drive much, I just
> take my car and truck to the dealer once a year and let them service it
> and inspect it. Doubt they change the filter, but who knows ?

There are a lot of vehicles with cartridge filters. That started over 20
years ago. Some are easy, some are a pain. Then you have some cars that
no longer have drain plugs and use spin on filters. Just keeping track
can be fun. I do like some of them though, top mounted oil filter and
easy access dipstick that you can pull all the oil out of. Nothing like
not even getting dirt on your hands to do an oil change.

--
Steve W.
Old March 29th 21, 03:38 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
rbowman

On 03/28/2021 01:44 PM, The Real Bev wrote:
> When I bought the Corolla I decided I was never going to fix another car
> thing. At some point "I'm getting too old for this ****" becomes the
> driving force.

I was thinking that a few weekends ago when I swapped the studs for
street tires. Then I realized I'd just covered my next gym day and could
skip it.

1. 40 yard farmer's walk with 2 tires -- 4 reps
2. Breaker bar curls -- 40 reps
3. Squats -- 8 reps
4. Pushups -- 4 reps
5. various cardio maneuvers
6. Probably did some crunches or situps along the way

That makes changing oil a piece of cake. 1 pushup to see if anything is
dripping.
Old March 29th 21, 03:44 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
rbowman

On 03/28/2021 05:27 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
> Speaking of HF, I saved a club members night. His fan belt had jumped
> off and he needed a 3/8 inch ratchet or pull bar. Out of about 20 men
> there I was the only one that had the tool. It was in a $ 29.95 (with
> coupon) HF tool kit I keep in my truck for just emergencies. The tool
> seemed ok after use, but it may never work again.

He would have been SOL with me if I had the Toyota since all the tools
are metric. He would have been in luck if I had the pickup since the '86
F150 is a half breed born in Canada and I need both.
Old March 29th 21, 03:51 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
rbowman

On 03/28/2021 05:21 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
> In article >, says...
>>
>> Of course you change your filter every time you change your oil!
>>
>> Here's why:
>> You're already underneath the vehicle.
>> The drain pan is in already place.
>> You already have oily hands and a greasy smear on your face.
>> You've already skinned your right hand knuckles and yelled Damn it!
>> Walmart sells a standard Fram oil filter for $3.88 while Fram's "Ultra
>> Synthetic 20,000 Mile Change Interval" filter goes for $8.57.
>>

> You have not changed the filter on some of the newer cars. Toyota has
> gone to an old timey cartrage type filter instead of the screw on ones.
> You often have to remove much of the shielding or whatever you call that
> stuff under the engine that helps with the wind resistance.

My Toyota has a spin on filter that I can reach down from the top and
spin off. If I'm lucky I don't drop it in the pan.

Disclaimer: that's after the first change. The first time around I need
a filter wrench to break the OEM filter loose.

When I'm looking at cars I open the hood and take inventory to make sure
it's maintainable. I'll admit the first Yaris fooled me. I thought the
ignition wires were hiding under the plastic panel but it doesn't have any.

Old March 29th 21, 09:14 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Peeler[_3_]

Default lowbrowwoman, the Endlessly Driveling Senile Gossip

On Sun, 28 Mar 2021 20:38:15 -0600, lowbrowwoman, the endlessly driveling,

> I was thinking that a few weekends ago when I swapped the studs for
> street tires. Then I realized I'd just covered my next gym day and could
> skip it.
>
> 1. 40 yard farmer's walk with 2 tires -- 4 reps
> 2. Breaker bar curls -- 40 reps
> 3. Squats -- 8 reps
> 4. Pushups -- 4 reps
> 5. various cardio maneuvers
> 6. Probably did some crunches or situps along the way

Feeling better again after you got THAT senile story off your chest, senile
gossip? Simply unbelievable! <tsk>