Short in distributor cap? HELP! (more)

Old November 3rd 16, 01:42 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default Short in distributor cap? HELP! (more)

ok here's one for you. i drove my truck roughly 35 miles to pick up my check. shut the truck off got my check.got back in my truck drove approximately 1/2 a mile to cash it. shut it off to go in the store walked right back out got in the truck cranked it was texting my husband (before taking off) to let him know i was fixing to head home. the truck just dies for no reason.it would not crank back up it would just turn over. ran the battery down. got a boost still nothing but turn over. pulled the air breather off to make sure it was getting gas.it was getting gas. pulled the #1 spark plug wire off to see if it was fireing. not fireing. replaced the distributor cap rotary button and pick up coil. still not getting fire. anyone have any suggestions?
Old November 3rd 16, 03:59 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Scott Dorsey

In article >,
Amanda Scott > wrote:
>my truck is a 93 chevy electronic ignition doesn't have points

But no model or engine type?

You mention a distributor so I'm assuming it's a single coil system (which
it might not be). If that's the case, and you've verified there's no spark,
put an analogue meter across the coil and see if there are any pulses being
sent by the ECU to the coil. If not, check to see there is power to the ECU.

The ECU might get power from a main relay or right off the ignition switch,
it depends on what model it is and you won't tell us what model it is. It
may have its own fuse.

If the ECU is getting power and there's no spark, then it's time to look at
the TDC sensor going into the ECU that tells it when to fire. If there is
no signal getting to the ECU to tell it where the crank is, it doesn't know
when to send a spark. (GM calls this a 'distributor reference pulse' on some
models.)

There may also be an engine RPM sensor depending on what model engine it is,
and that can also fail and confuse the ECU.

It would not hurt to go through the OBD-I exercise with the key and see if
the ECU is logging any errors. If you see an error #12 that's a good sign
the TDC sensor is not happy.
--scott

Old November 4th 16, 12:22 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Paul in Houston TX[_2_]

Scott Dorsey wrote:
> In article >,
> Amanda Scott > wrote:
>> my truck is a 93 chevy electronic ignition doesn't have points

> But no model or engine type?

Probably the old 2.8 engine and the timing belt has snapped.

Distributor Cap Jerry Imhoff Dodge 1 January 7th 08 10:04 PM
distributor [email protected] VW air cooled 1 May 29th 06 10:56 AM
distributor [email protected] Honda 23 May 28th 06 03:16 AM
need a c3 distributor jjjoseph Corvette 1 April 4th 06 08:46 AM
distributor kimberly VW water cooled 2 October 23rd 05 01:01 AM