E46 M3 odd sound

Old November 28th 05, 10:44 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Default E46 M3 odd sound

Hi. I've noticed a rather odd sound coming from the rear of my car, a 2001
M3 Coupe. It sort of sounds like "whooooph-whooooph". It's a low frequency
sound and is usually heard while making low-speed left turns. Has anyone
heard this as well?

Old November 29th 05, 10:52 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw

sgfan3 wrote:
> Hi. I've noticed a rather odd sound coming from the rear of my car, a 2001
> M3 Coupe. It sort of sounds like "whooooph-whooooph". It's a low frequency
> sound and is usually heard while making low-speed left turns. Has anyone
> heard this as well?

It's the diff and is "normal" behaviour. BMW can sell you some
"enhanced" oil to try to resolve the problem.

Old November 29th 05, 11:03 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw

On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 17:44:08 -0500, "sgfan3" >
waffled on about something:

>Hi. I've noticed a rather odd sound coming from the rear of my car, a 2001
>M3 Coupe. It sort of sounds like "whooooph-whooooph". It's a low frequency
>sound and is usually heard while making low-speed left turns. Has anyone
>heard this as well?

Hard to go on a text version of a sound, but could it be a wheel
bearing?

Dodgy.
--
MUSHROOMS ARE THE OPIATE OF THE MOOSES
Old November 29th 05, 03:03 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

On an e36 I had a sound that I woud describe the same way, turned out
to be one of the rims was slightly out of round, so when turning it
enhanced the pressure on the "oblong" wheel and made the defect more
noticable.

Old November 29th 05, 05:54 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Thanks!

oups.com...

Old November 29th 05, 05:54 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

It's your checkbook!

Old November 30th 05, 07:15 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Bmrdude wrote:
> It's your checkbook!

No - that's a GIANT sucking sound..
Old November 30th 05, 10:44 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

so true!!!

Old December 3rd 05, 08:35 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

My gut instinct is that you have a wheel bearing going out.

Old December 5th 05, 11:27 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw

I'd put money on it being the diff. Skip over to www.m3forum.net