2004 A4 Running Lights

Old January 6th 05, 06:03 PM
Len Sadauskas

Default 2004 A4 Running Lights

I am told that the Canadian models have provisions for turning on the front
fog lights by themselves to satisfy their requirement for daytime running
lights. Does anyone know if there is there a simple modification to do the
same in a US 2004 A4 model?
Thanks
Len

Old January 6th 05, 10:30 PM
Dave LaCourse

Len Sadauskas writes:

>I am told that the Canadian models have provisions for turning on the front
>fog lights by themselves to satisfy their requirement for daytime running
>lights. Does anyone know if there is there a simple modification to do the
>same in a US 2004 A4 model?

I'm sure that some shop can by-pass whatever switch is in the line, but why?
The trouble with "running lights", as you call them, is that they are fog
lights, not running lights. At night you will see lots of folks running their
fogs along with their headlights. I guess it's supposed to look cool, but with
old farts like me with a mild cataract in the left eye, it means just two more
lights to deal with while driving towards you. Turn 'em off. Ya got fog --
turn 'em on.

Dave
03 RS6

Old January 7th 05, 12:13 AM
daytripper

On Thu, 6 Jan 2005 13:03:20 -0500, "Len Sadauskas" >
wrote:

>I am told that the Canadian models have provisions for turning on the front
>fog lights by themselves to satisfy their requirement for daytime running
>lights. Does anyone know if there is there a simple modification to do the
>same in a US 2004 A4 model?

With a VAG tool at your Audi dealer, or your own pc-based emulator
(eg: VAG-COM) you can enable DRLs.

I think it'd be cheesy, though.
I'm glad the US models didn't foist that on us...yet...

/daytripper
'00 s4 6spd
Old January 7th 05, 03:49 AM
curmudgeon

Yeh...like air bags are cheesy, or seatbelts.
The Canadians didn't mandate it to be "cool"...they did it because there's
sound research showing fewer daytime accidents when cars have lights on in
the daytime.
Why they don't mandate here is beyond me. Ditto an interlock between the
windshield wipers and the headlights.

Old January 7th 05, 04:32 AM
daytripper

On Thu, 6 Jan 2005 22:49:45 -0500, "curmudgeon" >
wrote:

>"daytripper" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Thu, 6 Jan 2005 13:03:20 -0500, "Len Sadauskas"
>> >
>> wrote:
>>
>>>I am told that the Canadian models have provisions for turning on the
>>>front
>>>fog lights by themselves to satisfy their requirement for daytime running
>>>lights. Does anyone know if there is there a simple modification to do
>>>the
>>>same in a US 2004 A4 model?

>> With a VAG tool at your Audi dealer, or your own pc-based emulator
>> (eg: VAG-COM) you can enable DRLs.
>>
>> I think it'd be cheesy, though.
>> I'm glad the US models didn't foist that on us...yet...
>>
>> /daytripper
>> '00 s4 6spd

>Yeh...like air bags are cheesy, or seatbelts.
>The Canadians didn't mandate it to be "cool"...they did it because there's
>sound research showing fewer daytime accidents when cars have lights on in
>the daytime.
>Why they don't mandate here is beyond me. Ditto an interlock between the
>windshield wipers and the headlights.

That was a nice swing from the heels, but you totally missed the pitch.

Steeeeerike!

My comment regarded the use of FOG LAMPS for DRLs, not DRLs in general.
Using the dipped beams would be ok, better would be separate low-output lamps
within the headlight cluster, which would take care of what to do with Xenon
dipped or even bi-Xenon lamps.

Fog lamps are for fog...

/daytripper
'00 s4 6spd
Old January 7th 05, 09:04 PM
Dave LaCourse

Daytripper writes:

>Fog lamps are for fog...

Exactomulndo.

I, however, do run my normal headlights during the day. I think that running
lights are ok, but not fog lamps at night. The problem with folks running
their fog lamps at night with their headlights is that most of them don't
realize there is an off switch. Of course, the "cool" part of it is also a
problem.

Whatever...... fog lamps are for fog, not running lights.

Old January 8th 05, 04:55 AM
Jay Somerset

On 06 Jan 2005 22:30:03 GMT, irate (Dave LaCourse) wrote:

> Len Sadauskas writes:
>
> >I am told that the Canadian models have provisions for turning on the front
> >fog lights by themselves to satisfy their requirement for daytime running
> >lights. Does anyone know if there is there a simple modification to do the
> >same in a US 2004 A4 model?

The modification is not trivial, if it is done in full compliance with laws
involving when fog lights can/cannot be on (in combination with other
lights) in Canada as well as several European countries.

It does appear that you should be able to put a jumper across two terminals
on the headlight switch, but if it were that simple, then that is the way
Audi would have done it.

The modification involves a new wiring harness and a control module --
needed to force the fog lights on whenever the ignition is switched on, but
to go out when the headlights are switched on manually. This also leaves
the driver able to switch the fog lights on together with the low-beams, via
the switch, just as in the normal US configuration.

Different juridictions have slightly different laws that dictate when fog
lights can be legally used. Audi's modification seems to meet the laws not
only in Canada, but also in Europe. A simple switch jumper would be illegal
in many locales.

But if you can get your headlight switch out of the dash, and determine
which terminals to short out, go ahead. That assumes, however, the the
switch is carrying direct current to the lights or to a relay, and is not
part of an electronic switching circuit. Pretty soon, none of the switches
in cars will carry be constant-contact, but will be momentary-contact, to
provide a (coded) pulse/signal to control a fully electronic system. Much
less wiring, much lower currents, and much cheaper to manufacture and tailor
for different models and countries.

Old January 14th 05, 12:16 PM
Jay Somerset

On Thu, 6 Jan 2005 13:03:20 -0500, "Len Sadauskas"
> wrote:

> I am told that the Canadian models have provisions for turning on the front
> fog lights by themselves to satisfy their requirement for daytime running
> lights. Does anyone know if there is there a simple modification to do the
> same in a US 2004 A4 model?
> Thanks
> Len

There is a mod, but it isn't simple. I had it done to a '98 A6 -- 3 hours
labor. Talk to your Audi dealer, or call one in Canada if your local dealer
is unfamiliar.

However, I would just turn on the (low beam) headlights manually -- a lot
cheaper, and after a while, it becomes as automatic as fastening your seat
belt.
Old January 14th 05, 01:15 PM
Peter Bell

In message >
Jay Somerset > wrote:

> On Thu, 6 Jan 2005 13:03:20 -0500, "Len Sadauskas"
> > wrote:
>
> > I am told that the Canadian models have provisions for turning on
> > the front fog lights by themselves to satisfy their requirement for
> > daytime running lights. Does anyone know if there is there a simple
> > modification to do the same in a US 2004 A4 model?
> > Thanks
> > Len
> >

> There is a mod, but it isn't simple. I had it done to a '98 A6 -- 3
> hours labor. Talk to your Audi dealer, or call one in Canada if your
> local dealer is unfamiliar.
>
> However, I would just turn on the (low beam) headlights manually -- a
> lot cheaper, and after a while, it becomes as automatic as fastening
> your seat belt.

I thought that setting up DRLs on the B6 A4 was a simple configuration
change using VAG-COM, or similar - see
http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/cars/audiB6.html

Old January 14th 05, 04:05 PM
daytripper

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 13:15:31 GMT, Peter Bell > wrote:

>In message >
> Jay Somerset > wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 6 Jan 2005 13:03:20 -0500, "Len Sadauskas"
>> > wrote:
>>
>> > I am told that the Canadian models have provisions for turning on
>> > the front fog lights by themselves to satisfy their requirement for
>> > daytime running lights. Does anyone know if there is there a simple
>> > modification to do the same in a US 2004 A4 model?
>> > Thanks
>> > Len
>> >

>> There is a mod, but it isn't simple. I had it done to a '98 A6 -- 3
>> hours labor. Talk to your Audi dealer, or call one in Canada if your
>> local dealer is unfamiliar.
>>
>> However, I would just turn on the (low beam) headlights manually -- a
>> lot cheaper, and after a while, it becomes as automatic as fastening
>> your seat belt.

>I thought that setting up DRLs on the B6 A4 was a simple configuration
>change using VAG-COM, or similar - see
>http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/cars/audiB6.html

This was even mentioned on Day 1...

Some people must enjoy finding the hardest way to do things, I reckon ;-)

/daytripper
'00 s4 6spd

Mitchell on demand 5.6 Estimator q1 2004, Alldata v8 AUDI CD, Jaguar CD, v8 Land Rover, v8 Mercedes, - new ! astra35 Audi 2 April 6th 08 07:06 AM
The Running lights issue JJ Audi 1 October 23rd 04 04:02 AM
Adding Daytime Running Lights: 1998 A6 Quattro Jay Somerset Audi 4 September 13th 04 12:43 PM
Adding Daytime Running Kights: 1998 A6 Quattro Jay Somerset Audi 5 September 12th 04 10:18 PM
2004 2.7 TS questions Taone Williams Audi 1 August 18th 04 05:39 AM