1938 Alfa Romeo 2.98C - black - fvl

Old September 21st 07, 06:47 PM posted to alt.binaries.automobiles.carshows
Padraig

Default 1938 Alfa Romeo 2.98C - black - fvl

"John Bradley" > wrote in message

> Concours not so much in FL except Amelia, maybe. But for vintage race cars
> FL is right there with SoCal what with the Collier, Garlits, and Daytona
> museums; Sebring and Daytona HSR, etc. Millard Newman in Tampa is (was?)
> probably the top RR collector in the country, and TV Tommy Ivo and Art
> 'The Dart' Malone live(d?) there, too.

I'd swear I read a few years ago that Art joined the heavenly choir. I hope
not but I think so.

> There's also nothing in FL like the various events that Andre chronicles
> either.

Yeah. I really appreciate the things he sends over. And Leroy Curtis
contributes great stuff too. Here's a couple of his recent examples:

> I had a Renault Dauphine

Really? My wife had a '58 Dauphine when we met in 1960. Weird little car.
No clutch pedal. I used to buzz the engine to about a billion RPM's and
couldn't break it. My mom warned me a million times not to exaggerate.
--
Paddy's Pig

and my dad had a Simca Mille, fi, and the gas station
> owner I worked for had a 250 TdF and then a Bocar Stiletto. Most all of
> those cars were USED and used often, not preserved. That's why I like
> Andre's work, too, for the 'real car' aspects.
> I can't get out and all you guys are my eyes.
> Thanks
> john
>
> "Padraig" > wrote in message
>>> You and Zincy Pinky - charter members of the Gang of Four iirc - are
>>> great participants. You have the skills, cameras, and best domestic
>>> opportunities for pix out there on the Left Coast - and all year round.

>>> Thanks.

>> Yerwelgumjohn. Ol' Zincy was there too but he got a call from work and
>> had to go in. I'm not sure how many shots he got before he had to
>> leave --- or even IF he got any. As it was, we never even crossed paths
>> before he bugged out. I had completely forgotten about this show & would
>> have missed it but Z~ sent me a timely reminder a week or two before the
>> event.
>>
>> You're right about the abundance of things automotive we've got to shoot
>> out here although a lot of it is pure junk like Donut Derelicts on
>> Saturday mornings, etc., but it can be kinda fun anyway. I think there's
>> a goodly amount of activity in certain other places too like FL for
>> example...at least when it's not under assault by Hurricane Andrew or
>> something.
>> --
>> Paddy's Pig

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1934 Riley Ulster Imp front.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	311.4 KB
ID:	100207  Click image for larger version

Name:	1934 Riley Ulster Imp rear.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	367.2 KB
ID:	100208
Old September 21st 07, 06:56 PM posted to alt.binaries.automobiles.carshows
Padraig

"Padraig" > wrote in message

I just took a look at those two Riley shots of Leroy's after posting and
realized the people viewing the cars weren't dressed like me and all the
other slobs at California shows! :-)
--
Paddy's Pig

PS - Meant to snip off the unused dialog in previous post but forgot.
Sorry.

Old September 21st 07, 08:30 PM posted to alt.binaries.automobiles.carshows
John Bradley

The blue blazers, tweed jackets, and wool trousers are to indicate to us
that, to the Brits, it's always best to be somewhat over-dressed in public.
For Left Coast car guys, for some reason it's HY-why-an flowery shirts just
like that ashuul, Boyd C wears. It could be 55deg at PB in the morning and
you'll still see 'em.
I wear my old Bosch windbreaker and black jeans from Chaparral.

I'll be sorry to hear about Art. When he was crew chief for Donny, we
experimented with radio communications to the driver during staging. Did not
work well - too heavy magneto interference.
I really do like (most) all the posters' efforts. Do miss 'autoposter', tho.
He would always come up with things about which I am really interested.
Thanks, again
john

Old September 22nd 07, 11:26 PM posted to alt.binaries.automobiles.carshows
Zinc[_2_]

On 21-Sep-2007, "John Bradley" > wrote:

> The blue blazers, tweed jackets, and wool trousers are to indicate to us
> that, to the Brits, it's always best to be somewhat over-dressed in
> public. For Left Coast car guys, for some reason it's HY-why-an flowery
> shirts
> just like that ashuul, Boyd C wears. It could be 55deg at PB in the
> morning and
> you'll still see 'em. I wear my old Bosch windbreaker and black jeans from
> Chaparral.

I bought a Panama hat for the Concours shows and intended to wear nice
clothes with it (to fit in at Pebble Beach) but fortunately I always change
my mind at the last minute. The weather at the shows here have been too warm
for me to even wear long pants, let alone a blazer. Non-photogs can sit in
the shade and cool off, but we're in the sun the whole time.

--
Z~

..

http://www.usenet.com
Old September 22nd 07, 11:28 PM posted to alt.binaries.automobiles.carshows
Zinc[_2_]

On 21-Sep-2007, "Padraig" > wrote:

> Yerwelgumjohn. Ol' Zincy was there too but he got a call from work and
> had to go in. I'm not sure how many shots he got before he had to leave
> ---
> or even IF he got any. As it was, we never even crossed paths before he
> bugged out. I had completely forgotten about this show & would have
> missed it
> but Z~ sent me a timely reminder a week or two before the event.

I got a few shots before being called away. No time to process them yet.
Yeah, I guessed work would intrude on this event so I'm glad you made it.
You got some wonderful shots as always.

--
Z~

..