A Cars forum. AutoBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AutoBanter forum » Auto makers » BMW
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

My 1986 325es does not start up in the morning



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old May 11th 07, 08:29 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
bmwguy2
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 6
Default My 1986 325es does not start up in the morning

Hi gang,

I have a 1986 325es with 215,000 miles on it and it rung great.
I have a problem in the morning when I start up the car. It takes a
few tries before the car starts up. After that it starts with the
first try.
I am not sure if it is cold wheater related or not. Because today in
California it was nice an warm and I got up to go to work and tried to
start it up and it took 5 tries.
When I go to lunch around noon the car starts up with the first turn
of the switch or, when I leave to go home around 8:00 PM in the
evening again, the car starts up with the first try.
It is in the morning (or, I shoule say after the car has not been
driven for a long period of time) when I have problems starting it up.

Someone told me that I need to press on the gas pedal quickly and let
it go and then press the cluch and old it and then start up the car
but, that did not go either.

The car runs fine and never have any electrical or fuel injection
problems with it and once it start up and get going you cannot stop
it!!!! It is a great car but, it annoys me that I have to cranck the
starter about 5 time every morning.

Any ideas or suggesstions are greatly appriciated.


bmwguy2 at g m a i l

Ads
  #2  
Old May 11th 07, 10:17 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 350
Default My 1986 325es does not start up in the morning

On 11 May 2007 12:29:22 -0700, bmwguy2 > wrote:

>Hi gang,
>
>I have a 1986 325es with 215,000 miles on it and it rung great.
>I have a problem in the morning when I start up the car. It takes a
>few tries before the car starts up. After that it starts with the
>first try.
>I am not sure if it is cold wheater related or not. Because today in
>California it was nice an warm and I got up to go to work and tried to
>start it up and it took 5 tries.
>When I go to lunch around noon the car starts up with the first turn
>of the switch or, when I leave to go home around 8:00 PM in the
>evening again, the car starts up with the first try.
>It is in the morning (or, I shoule say after the car has not been
>driven for a long period of time) when I have problems starting it up.
>
>Someone told me that I need to press on the gas pedal quickly and let
>it go and then press the cluch and old it and then start up the car
>but, that did not go either.
>
>The car runs fine and never have any electrical or fuel injection
>problems with it and once it start up and get going you cannot stop
>it!!!! It is a great car but, it annoys me that I have to cranck the
>starter about 5 time every morning.
>
>Any ideas or suggesstions are greatly appriciated.
>
>
>bmwguy2 at g m a i l


Sounds a bit like fuel pressure non return valve leaking back to tank overnight.
Could also be cold start valve. Inj or Carb?

More like fuel pressure and cold start if inj but more than likely choke control
if carb


  #3  
Old May 11th 07, 10:36 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Bill[_4_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 169
Default My 1986 325es does not start up in the morning


"bmwguy2" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hi gang,
>
> I have a 1986 325es with 215,000 miles on it and it rung great.
> I have a problem in the morning when I start up the car. It takes a
> few tries before the car starts up. After that it starts with the
> first try.
> I am not sure if it is cold wheater related or not. Because today in
> California it was nice an warm and I got up to go to work and tried to
> start it up and it took 5 tries.
> When I go to lunch around noon the car starts up with the first turn
> of the switch or, when I leave to go home around 8:00 PM in the
> evening again, the car starts up with the first try.
> It is in the morning (or, I shoule say after the car has not been
> driven for a long period of time) when I have problems starting it up.
>
> Someone told me that I need to press on the gas pedal quickly and let
> it go and then press the cluch and old it and then start up the car
> but, that did not go either.
>
> The car runs fine and never have any electrical or fuel injection
> problems with it and once it start up and get going you cannot stop
> it!!!! It is a great car but, it annoys me that I have to cranck the
> starter about 5 time every morning.
>
> Any ideas or suggesstions are greatly appriciated.
>
>
> bmwguy2 at g m a i l
>

-----

Clean the Idle Control Valve. It's the sliver cylinder with an L-shaped
hose-in/hose-out. It's on the passenger side of the intake manifold. Remove
it from the car and spray some WD-40 or brake cleaner into the open sides.
Shake liberally and allow to drain out the 2 big holes. Repeat 2 or 3 times.
When dry, reinstall and try to start the engine. If you don't notice a
difference. Replacement may be necessary. I have one for cheap with the
control module.

Bill in Omaha
'86 535i


  #4  
Old May 11th 07, 10:41 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
bmwguy2
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 6
Default My 1986 325es does not start up in the morning

On May 11, 2:17 pm, wrote:
> On 11 May 2007 12:29:22 -0700, bmwguy2 > wrote:
>
>
>
>
>
> >Hi gang,

>
> >I have a 1986 325es with 215,000 miles on it and it rung great.
> >I have a problem in the morning when I start up the car. It takes a
> >few tries before the car starts up. After that it starts with the
> >first try.
> >I am not sure if it is cold wheater related or not. Because today in
> >California it was nice an warm and I got up to go to work and tried to
> >start it up and it took 5 tries.
> >When I go to lunch around noon the car starts up with the first turn
> >of the switch or, when I leave to go home around 8:00 PM in the
> >evening again, the car starts up with the first try.
> >It is in the morning (or, I shoule say after the car has not been
> >driven for a long period of time) when I have problems starting it up.

>
> >Someone told me that I need to press on the gas pedal quickly and let
> >it go and then press the cluch and old it and then start up the car
> >but, that did not go either.

>
> >The car runs fine and never have any electrical or fuel injection
> >problems with it and once it start up and get going you cannot stop
> >it!!!! It is a great car but, it annoys me that I have to cranck the
> >starter about 5 time every morning.

>
> >Any ideas or suggesstions are greatly appriciated.

>
> >bmwguy2 at g m a i l

>
> Sounds a bit like fuel pressure non return valve leaking back to tank overnight.
> Could also be cold start valve. Inj or Carb?
>
> More like fuel pressure and cold start if inj but more than likely choke control
> if carb- Hide quoted text -
>
> - Show quoted text -


It is injector.

  #5  
Old May 15th 07, 08:52 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
bmwguy2
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 6
Default My 1986 325es does not start up in the morning

On May 11, 2:36 pm, "Bill" > wrote:
> "bmwguy2" > wrote in message
>
> oups.com...
>
>
>
> > Hi gang,

>
> > I have a 1986 325es with 215,000 miles on it and it rung great.
> > I have a problem in the morning when I start up the car. It takes a
> > few tries before the car starts up. After that it starts with the
> > first try.
> > I am not sure if it is cold wheater related or not. Because today in
> > California it was nice an warm and I got up to go to work and tried to
> > start it up and it took 5 tries.
> > When I go to lunch around noon the car starts up with the first turn
> > of the switch or, when I leave to go home around 8:00 PM in the
> > evening again, the car starts up with the first try.
> > It is in the morning (or, I shoule say after the car has not been
> > driven for a long period of time) when I have problems starting it up.

>
> > Someone told me that I need to press on the gas pedal quickly and let
> > it go and then press the cluch and old it and then start up the car
> > but, that did not go either.

>
> > The car runs fine and never have any electrical or fuel injection
> > problems with it and once it start up and get going you cannot stop
> > it!!!! It is a great car but, it annoys me that I have to cranck the
> > starter about 5 time every morning.

>
> > Any ideas or suggesstions are greatly appriciated.

>
> > bmwguy2 at g m a i l

>
> -----
>
> Clean the Idle Control Valve. It's the sliver cylinder with an L-shaped
> hose-in/hose-out. It's on the passenger side of the intake manifold. Remove
> it from the car and spray some WD-40 or brake cleaner into the open sides.
> Shake liberally and allow to drain out the 2 big holes. Repeat 2 or 3 times.
> When dry, reinstall and try to start the engine. If you don't notice a
> difference. Replacement may be necessary. I have one for cheap with the
> control module.
>
> Bill in Omaha
> '86 535i- Hide quoted text -
>
> - Show quoted text -


Hi Bill,
I took the silver cylender thing to Kragon auto part and asked for a
cleaner for it. They call "throttle body" and not Idle Control Valve.
Anyhow, I had to go to BMW dealership to order the gasket because they
did not have it in stock.
I did not see anything unusual other than some black residue, I also
cleaned it up with the "throttle body cleaner" that I bought from
Kragon.
I need to wait for the part to arrive at BMW dealership and then
install it and try to see if it works any better.
Once I put the whole thing back together then, I will let you know.

Thanks,


  #6  
Old May 16th 07, 02:49 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Psycho
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 121
Default My 1986 325es does not start up in the morning

On 15 May 2007 12:52:55 -0700, bmwguy2 > wrote:

>Hi Bill,
>I took the silver cylender thing to Kragon auto part and asked for a
>cleaner for it. They call "throttle body" and not Idle Control Valve.
>Anyhow, I had to go to BMW dealership to order the gasket because they
>did not have it in stock.
>I did not see anything unusual other than some black residue, I also
>cleaned it up with the "throttle body cleaner" that I bought from
>Kragon.
>I need to wait for the part to arrive at BMW dealership and then
>install it and try to see if it works any better.
>Once I put the whole thing back together then, I will let you know.
>
>Thanks,
>


Well, the part you took off was not the idle control valve. There is
no gasket for it. Now that the throttle butterfly is good and clean,
you can put it and the new gasket back on the car. The idle control
valve is the little valve that sits off to the side of that piece. It
is connected to two hoses (one side connects to the intake hose and
the other end connects to the piece you removed already. The is an
electrical connector attached to the end of it as well.
  #7  
Old May 16th 07, 06:46 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Bill[_4_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 169
Default My 1986 325es does not start up in the morning


"Psycho" > wrote in message
...
> On 15 May 2007 12:52:55 -0700, bmwguy2 > wrote:
>
> >Hi Bill,
> >I took the silver cylender thing to Kragon auto part and asked for a
> >cleaner for it. They call "throttle body" and not Idle Control Valve.
> >Anyhow, I had to go to BMW dealership to order the gasket because they
> >did not have it in stock.
> >I did not see anything unusual other than some black residue, I also
> >cleaned it up with the "throttle body cleaner" that I bought from
> >Kragon.
> >I need to wait for the part to arrive at BMW dealership and then
> >install it and try to see if it works any better.
> >Once I put the whole thing back together then, I will let you know.
> >
> >Thanks,
> >

>
> Well, the part you took off was not the idle control valve. There is
> no gasket for it. Now that the throttle butterfly is good and clean,
> you can put it and the new gasket back on the car. The idle control
> valve is the little valve that sits off to the side of that piece. It
> is connected to two hoses (one side connects to the intake hose and
> the other end connects to the piece you removed already. The is an
> electrical connector attached to the end of it as well.


I guess I should have sent a picture. Sounds like the Air Flow Meter was
mistaken for the ICV. Yikes! and that thing is VERY expensive from a dealer.
The throttle body cleaner will also work on the ICV.

Bill in Omaha
'86 535i


 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1991 318is and 1986 325es BDH BMW 1 September 8th 06 09:02 PM
1992 Wrangler won't start in Morning nelkhour Jeep 0 January 8th 06 06:35 AM
1992 Wrangler won't start in Morning nelkhour Jeep 0 December 24th 05 09:19 PM
1992 Wrangler won't start in Morning nelkhour Jeep 2 December 10th 05 03:28 PM
1992 Wrangler won't start in Morning nelkhour Jeep 2 November 19th 05 02:22 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:52 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2018 AutoBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.