OT New Orleans

Old September 10th 05, 01:39 PM
Dave Milne

Default OT New Orleans

So what's the crack on New Orleans ? Is it an administration screwup in not
rescuing the people more efficiently or just an inevitable catastrophe as a
result of building below the water table ?

Dave Milne, Scotland
'91 Grand Wagoneer, '99 TJ

Old September 10th 05, 02:28 PM
reconair

Here's a pretty good take.

Blame Amid the Tragedy
Gov. Blanco and Mayor Nagin failed their constituents.

BY BOB WILLIAMS
Wednesday, September 7, 2005 12:01 a.m. EDT

As the devastation of Hurricane Katrina continues to shock and sadden the
nation, the question on many lips is, Who is to blame for the inadequate
response?

As a former state legislator who represented the legislative district most
impacted by the eruption of Mount St. Helens in 1980, I can fully understand
and empathize with the people and public officials over the loss of life and
property.

Many in the media are turning their eyes toward the federal government,
rather than considering the culpability of city and state officials. I am
fully aware of the challenges of having a quick and responsive emergency
response to a major disaster. And there is definitely a time for
accountability; but what isn't fair is to dump on the federal officials and
avoid those most responsible--local and state officials who failed to do
their job as the first responders. The plain fact is, lives were needlessly
lost in New Orleans due to the failure of Louisiana's governor, Kathleen
Blanco, and the city's mayor, Ray Nagin.

The primary responsibility for dealing with emergencies does not belong to
the federal government. It belongs to local and state officials who are
charged by law with the management of the crucial first response to
disasters. First response should be carried out by local and state emergency
personnel under the supervision of the state governor and his emergency
operations center.

The actions and inactions of Gov. Blanco and Mayor Nagin are a national
disgrace due to their failure to implement the previously established
evacuation plans of the state and city. Gov. Blanco and Mayor Nagin cannot
claim that they were surprised by the extent of the damage and the need to
evacuate so many people. Detailed written plans were already in place to
evacuate more than a million people. The plans projected that 300,000 people
would need transportation in the event of a hurricane like Katrina. If the
plans had been implemented, thousands of lives would likely have been saved.

In addition to the plans, local, state and federal officials held a
simulated hurricane drill 13 months ago, in which widespread flooding
supposedly trapped 300,000 people inside New Orleans. The exercise simulated
the evacuation of more than a million residents. The problems identified in
the simulation apparently were not solved.

A year ago, as Hurricane Ivan approached, New Orleans ordered an evacuation
but did not use city or school buses to help people evacuate. As a result
many of the poorest citizens were unable to evacuate. Fortunately, the
hurricane changed course and did not hit New Orleans, but both Gov. Blanco
and Mayor Nagin acknowledged the need for a better evacuation plan. Again,
they did not take corrective actions. In 1998, during a threat by Hurricane
George, 14,000 people were sent to the Superdome and theft and vandalism
were rampant due to inadequate security. Again, these problems were not
corrected.

The New Orleans contingency plan is still, as of this writing, on the city's
Web site, and states: "The safe evacuation of threatened populations is one
of the principle [sic] reasons for developing a Comprehensive Emergency
Management Plan." But the plan was apparently ignored.

Mayor Nagin was responsible for giving the order for mandatory evacuation
and supervising the actual evacuation: His Office of Emergency Preparedness
(not the federal government) must coordinate with the state on elements of
evacuation and assist in directing the transportation of evacuees to staging
areas. Mayor Nagin had to be encouraged by the governor to contact the
National Hurricane Center before he finally, belatedly, issued the order for
mandatory evacuation. And sadly, it apparently took a personal call from the
president to urge the governor to order the mandatory evacuation.

The city's evacuation plan states: "The city of New Orleans will utilize all
available resources to quickly and safely evacuate threatened areas." But
even though the city has enough school and transit buses to evacuate 12,000
citizens per fleet run, the mayor did not use them. To compound the problem,
the buses were not moved to high ground and were flooded. The plan also
states that "special arrangements will be made to evacuate persons unable to
transport themselves or who require specific lifesaving assistance.
Additional personnel will be recruited to assist in evacuation procedures as
needed." This was not done.

The evacuation plan warned that "if an evacuation order is issued without
the mechanisms needed to disseminate the information to the affected
persons, then we face the possibility of having large numbers of people
either stranded and left to the mercy of a storm, or left in an area
impacted by toxic materials." That is precisely what happened because of the
mayor's failure.

Instead of evacuating the people, the mayor ordered the refugees to the
Superdome and Convention Center without adequate security and no provisions
for food, water and sanitary conditions. As a result people died, and there
was even rape committed, in these facilities. Mayor Nagin failed in his
responsibility to provide public safety and to manage the orderly evacuation
of the citizens of New Orleans. Now he wants to blame Gov. Blanco and the
Federal Emergency Management Agency. In an emergency the first requirement
is for the city's emergency center to be linked to the state emergency
operations center. This was not done.

The federal government does not have the authority to intervene in a state
emergency without the request of a governor. President Bush declared an
emergency prior to Katrina hitting New Orleans, so the only action needed
for federal assistance was for Gov. Blanco to request the specific type of
assistance she needed. She failed to send a timely request for specific aid.

In addition, unlike the governors of New York, Oklahoma and California in
past disasters, Gov. Blanco failed to take charge of the situation and
ensure that the state emergency operation facility was in constant contact
with Mayor Nagin and FEMA. It is likely that thousands of people died
because of the failure of Gov. Blanco to implement the state plan, which
mentions the possible need to evacuate up to one million people. The plan
clearly gives the governor the authority for declaring an emergency, sending
in state resources to the disaster area and requesting necessary federal
assistance.

State legislators and governors nationwide need to update their contingency
plans and the operation procedures for state emergency centers. Hurricane
Katrina had been forecast for days, but that will not always be the case
with a disaster (think of terrorist attacks). It must be made clear that the
governor and locally elected officials are in charge of the "first
response."

I am not attempting to excuse some of the delays in FEMA's response.
Congress and the president need to take corrective action there, also.
However, if citizens expect FEMA to be a first responder to terrorist
attacks or other local emergencies (earthquakes, forest fires, volcanoes),
they will be disappointed. The federal government's role is to offer aid
upon request.

The Louisiana Legislature should conduct an immediate investigation into the
failures of state and local officials to implement the written emergency
plans. The tragedy is not over, and real leadership in the state and local
government are essential in the months to come. More importantly, the
hurricane season is still upon us, and local and state officials must stay
focused on the jobs for which they were elected--and not on the deadly game
of passing the emergency buck.

Mr. Williams is president of the Evergreen Freedom Foundation, a free market
public policy research organization in Olympia, Wash.

.uk...

Old September 10th 05, 03:35 PM
ambrin

AMEN, brother...
Remember this one? "I'm from the government and I'm here to help you."

Yeah, right... The only idiot left out here is Ray Chertoff, the head of
Homeland Security. He didn't have a clue about what was going on.

ambrin

Old September 10th 05, 03:40 PM
jaco

What is happening to the people down there is tragically sad.

To answer your questions:
It is a known "inevitable catastrophe" (see link from Oct. 2004 -read at
least the first 5 paragraphs - its spooky)
http://www3.nationalgeographic.com/n...re5/index.html

If it is a known catastrophe and the administration didn't react in a timely
manner, then:
- go to Google, type in "failure" and click "I'm Feeling Lucky"

I will now duck and run for cover as things might get ugly around here!

.uk...

Old September 10th 05, 03:40 PM
Terry Jeffrey

Good read, thanks.

This guy nails it too:
http://tiadaily.com/php-bin/news/sho...le.php?id=1026

Old September 10th 05, 03:53 PM
Dave Milne

Its all over our news, but focusing on the immediate sensationalism as is
the norm for news channels. It seems the head of FEMA has been sacked, but
with the pics I'm seeing, it looks like a really hard job to evac that many
people and keep back that amount of water. But, I'm 6K miles away and have
never been there, hence the questions ! You guys know me well enough to know
I'm not trolling.

Dave Milne, Scotland
'91 Grand Wagoneer, '99 TJ

Old September 10th 05, 05:01 PM
Matt Macchiarolo

There were failures at every level of government, probably most IMO from the
Lousiana state government and its lack of leadership. I find it interesting
that Governor Blanco is hiding from the national media. The local government
simply wasn't able to function after the hurricane hit due to the
infrastucture damage but that is a result of poor planning. But the federal
govenerment has its share of responsibility too...compare Federal response
to last year's Florida hurricanes. Of course last year was an election year
and the First Brother is governor there...

.uk...

Old September 10th 05, 05:08 PM
Lon

Dave Milne proclaimed:
> So what's the crack on New Orleans ? Is it an administration screwup in not
> rescuing the people more efficiently or just an inevitable catastrophe as a
> result of building below the water table ?

Over 10 years ago, Scientific American ran a feature article on that
area being a disaster just waiting to happen. The natural barrier
islands that helped protect the mainland were being washed away. The
city was pumping water out from under the city, which caused the
marshy soil to sink below the levels of the surrounding rivers and
lakes. The greenies wouldn't let the Corps of Engineers redredge the
rivers and canals. The same greenies wouldn't let the Corps of
Engineers rebuild and strengthen the levies. The government cut the
budget for even maintaining the dikes and levies. The article did
miss-call the source of the flooding, however if the article had
been correct it would be even worse than it is. Then you have to
ask how come all those special terrain vehicles, large rescue and
support ships, and military personnel weren't placed on standby
with over two days advance warning that a Category 4 to 5 storm was
drawing a bead on the gulf coast--even if the target wasn't known
that accurately, whatever ended up being a target would be reasonably
expected to be a disaster with that big a storm. And I guess if you
appoint your old drinking buddy as an emergency coordinator, you might
want to make sure he could handle the job... and with over two days
warning it wouldn't be that difficult to see if he was preparing for
the worst or sitting on his ass.

Old September 10th 05, 05:09 PM
Matt Macchiarolo

Brown won't be sacked, you're talking about an administration that won't
fire anyone no matter how inept, as long as they remain loyal and follow the
official line. After the revelations that he padded his resume on top of his
inaction, he was just relieved of his responsibility to oversee the FEMA
operations as a PR recovery move, but remains head of FEMA as of now.

The failures of government in this disaster aren't recent, they are a
culmination of the last 30 years or so, inasmuch as recognizing the need for
building a levee to withstand a Cat 5 storm, competent evacuation planning,
and the lack of motivation for federal response.

.uk...

Old September 10th 05, 05:10 PM
Lon

Unfortunately folks too far down the totem pole will become the
scapegoats to protect the real culprits.

Dave Milne proclaimed:

> Its all over our news, but focusing on the immediate sensationalism as is
> the norm for news channels. It seems the head of FEMA has been sacked, but
> with the pics I'm seeing, it looks like a really hard job to evac that many
> people and keep back that amount of water. But, I'm 6K miles away and have
> never been there, hence the questions ! You guys know me well enough to know
> I'm not trolling.
>
> Dave Milne, Scotland
> '91 Grand Wagoneer, '99 TJ
>

>>I will now duck and run for cover as things might get ugly around here!

. co.uk...