Rear Brakes Wear Out before The Front

Old October 13th 07, 12:11 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Sheldon Rudie

Default Rear Brakes Wear Out before The Front

Just had an oil change at the dealer. My 2004 Miata is nearing 50K.

The dealer's suggested replacing rear pads and turning rotors.
There was no mention about the front brakes needing service which in my
experience always wore-out first.

When questioned, the technician said latter models have softer rear pads.
There is no scoring whatsoever on outer surface of the rotors, on both back
and front wheels. The car doesn't pull or screech. Master cylinder has
never been topped up an is about 1/4" below max which confirms some wear. Am
I being set up for a $240 brake job that isn't needed? I was also troubled
to find out that the parts department didn't stock rear pads as a regular
maintenance item and was told they would have to be special ordered..

Old October 13th 07, 01:11 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo

Well, at that price I would feel 'set up' but you know, dealers have big
overhead and big 'profit'! It wouldn't surprise me at all if the dealer was
correct about the pads being a softer compound. Mazda may have decided to
tweak the front to rear balance a bit in this way but someone will probably
pitch in first hand knowledge of such. I don't think the rears have worn 'so
fast' as the fronts seem to be lasting a long long time. Strange.

Keep us posted,
Chris
99BBB

Old October 13th 07, 09:03 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Zog The Undeniable

Sheldon Rudie wrote:
> Just had an oil change at the dealer. My 2004 Miata is nearing 50K.
>
> The dealer's suggested replacing rear pads and turning rotors.
> There was no mention about the front brakes needing service which in my
> experience always wore-out first.
>
> When questioned, the technician said latter models have softer rear pads.
> There is no scoring whatsoever on outer surface of the rotors, on both back
> and front wheels. The car doesn't pull or screech. Master cylinder has
> never been topped up an is about 1/4" below max which confirms some wear. Am
> I being set up for a $240 brake job that isn't needed? I was also troubled
> to find out that the parts department didn't stock rear pads as a regular
> maintenance item and was told they would have to be special ordered..

I'd never get the discs turned at typical shop prices; just replace
them. If you can get them, EBC Turbo Groove discs are zinc-plated so
the unswept areas don't rust. They look a lot better.
Old October 13th 07, 01:52 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
bayman2222

On Oct 12, 7:11 pm, "Sheldon Rudie" > wrote:
> Just had an oil change at the dealer. My 2004 Miata is nearing 50K.
>
> The dealer's suggested replacing rear pads and turning rotors.
> There was no mention about the front brakes needing service which in my
> experience always wore-out first.
>
> When questioned, the technician said latter models have softer rear pads.
> There is no scoring whatsoever on outer surface of the rotors, on both back
> and front wheels. The car doesn't pull or screech. Master cylinder has
> never been topped up an is about 1/4" below max which confirms some wear. Am
> I being set up for a $240 brake job that isn't needed? I was also troubled
> to find out that the parts department didn't stock rear pads as a regular
> maintenance item and was told they would have to be special ordered..

I have a 90 Miata which I received from the dealer in Oct of 89, which
currently has 145,000 miles. I have never had the rotors
turned...only burnished every 40,000 when I replaced my brakes. I
just upgraded my brakes with drilled and slotted Aussie rotors , Hawk
HP pads and Goodridge stainless brakes lines and synthetic brake fluid
and WOW..has the stopping power improved. Replacing the pads and
rotors is a do it yourself project...takes about 2 hours and parts are
avalable at your local Autozone. About the rear pads wearing
fast..the wear could be caused by an improperly adjusted emergency
brake cable.

Old October 13th 07, 02:39 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chas Hurst[_1_]

"bayman2222" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> On Oct 12, 7:11 pm, "Sheldon Rudie" > wrote:
>> Just had an oil change at the dealer. My 2004 Miata is nearing 50K.
>>
>> The dealer's suggested replacing rear pads and turning rotors.
>> There was no mention about the front brakes needing service which in my
>> experience always wore-out first.
>>
>> When questioned, the technician said latter models have softer rear pads.
>> There is no scoring whatsoever on outer surface of the rotors, on both
>> back
>> and front wheels. The car doesn't pull or screech. Master cylinder has
>> never been topped up an is about 1/4" below max which confirms some wear.
>> Am
>> I being set up for a $240 brake job that isn't needed? I was also
>> troubled
>> to find out that the parts department didn't stock rear pads as a regular
>> maintenance item and was told they would have to be special ordered..

> I have a 90 Miata which I received from the dealer in Oct of 89, which
> currently has 145,000 miles. I have never had the rotors
> turned...only burnished every 40,000 when I replaced my brakes. I
> just upgraded my brakes with drilled and slotted Aussie rotors , Hawk
> HP pads and Goodridge stainless brakes lines and synthetic brake fluid
> and WOW..has the stopping power improved. Replacing the pads and
> rotors is a do it yourself project...takes about 2 hours and parts are
> avalable at your local Autozone. About the rear pads wearing
> fast..the wear could be caused by an improperly adjusted emergency
> brake cable.

I'd say sometthing was wrong with your previous brake configuration. The
limiting factor in Miata brakes is the tires, not brake components.

Old October 13th 07, 07:15 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo

> I'd say sometthing was wrong with your previous brake configuration. The
> limiting factor in Miata brakes is the tires, not brake components.

He's probably just getting allot better feel and he likes it. Few people
would deny that the miata has enough brake to 'lock them up' but being able
to do it with less pedal pressure can be described as 'more stopping power'.
I'm guessing that it's a bit easier to modulate too.

Chris
99BBB

Old October 14th 07, 03:12 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chas Hurst[_1_]

"pws" > wrote in message
> Zog The Undeniable wrote:
>
>> I'd never get the discs turned at typical shop prices; just replace them.
>> If you can get them, EBC Turbo Groove discs are zinc-plated so the
>> unswept areas don't rust. They look a lot better.

> Is anyone familiar with the zinc-coated rotors that Zog referred to? I am
> wondering if they are available for the Miata and if there is any downside
> to them except perhaps price.
>
> The wheels I have really show off the rotors and I like the idea of them
> being rust-free.
>
> Pat

The original rotors are plated. The rotors on my 10AE rust only on the swept
area. I have read of others painting the rotors, with success.

Old October 14th 07, 04:21 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Sheldon Rudie

Old October 14th 07, 04:38 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Sheldon Rudie

The car is equipped with a manual transmission. Consequently, it is
customarily parked using only 1st or reverse as its pseudo "parking brake".

Old October 14th 07, 05:51 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo

> The car is equipped with a manual transmission. Consequently, it is
> customarily parked using only 1st or reverse as its pseudo "parking
> brake".

While I would recommend against just leaving the car in gear (no parking
brake) I don't think this has anything to do with the comment about your
hand brake. I believe they are thinking that it may be out of adjustment and
the rears, ever so slightly engaging the rotors all the time during normal
driving.

Thanks,
Chris
99BBB