Water Cooled Air Conditioning

Old November 30th 04, 03:46 PM
JavaHand

Default Water Cooled Air Conditioning

I just ran across a listing for two water cooled 6v air conditioners. Were
these units available from the dealer? The listing says they can be
converted to 12v. Has anyone done this with success?

If you are curious about what they look like go to
http://captiveimage.us/dannysvolksstuff/parts.html

Pictures of the two units are available on that page.
Old November 30th 04, 04:26 PM
jjs

"JavaHand" > wrote in message
>I just ran across a listing for two water cooled 6v air conditioners. Were
> these units available from the dealer? The listing says they can be
> converted to 12v. Has anyone done this with success?
>
> If you are curious about what they look like go to
> http://captiveimage.us/dannysvolksstuff/parts.html

They are called Swamp Coolers. They work by passing air through wet straw
mats. The air's heat energy is left in the water, and you get nice, cool
damp air. They ONLY work in very low humidity situations. (I used to live in
the New Mexico high-plains desert where they were super cool.)

You can get simpler units that do not require any electricity. They look
like a jet engine hanging on your passenger side window. I have one, and
can't use it here in Minnesota. It's not dry enough.

Old November 30th 04, 07:08 PM
JavaHand

These units are located in the Texas Panhandle so they must work in that
climate (not being far from NM).

Still, were these things offered by dealers, are they a VW product, or were
they after market accessories?
Old December 2nd 04, 06:25 AM
WES PEARSON

Can't see how these units would work if they were set on the passengers
side floor . The air being drawn into a swamp cooler needs to be from
outside of the area being cooled. These units would put alot of
humidity into the air but wouldn't cool the air inside of the car. The
old jet looking ones set in the air stream outside of the car. I can
remember my did having one on the window of our 53 Plymouth going across
the desert towards Vegas. It worked but not on the level of a freon
unit. What did work as I remember was the old canvas water bag that hung
on the front bumper of the car. Cooled the water down real good.

--
Wes Pearson
* Why Yes! I am a real Helicopter Pilot!!! *

Old December 3rd 04, 10:01 PM
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliott

WES PEARSON wrote:
> Can't see how these units would work if they were set on the passengers
> side floor . The air being drawn into a swamp cooler needs to be from
> outside of the area being cooled. These units would put alot of
> humidity into the air but wouldn't cool the air inside of the car. The
> old jet looking ones set in the air stream outside of the car. I can
> remember my did having one on the window of our 53 Plymouth going across
> the desert towards Vegas. It worked but not on the level of a freon
> unit. What did work as I remember was the old canvas water bag that hung
> on the front bumper of the car. Cooled the water down real good.

Your dad must have known my dad. I remember the same desert-crossing
gear: the torpedo-shaped swamp cooler that he hung outside Mom's window,
the leaky canvas bag of water slung across the front grille. And the
horrible tedium: the hours of sitting in the back seat with my two
brothers, hot and irritable, squirming and complaining, and staring out
at sun-blasted desolation broken only by occasional stops at service
stations for gas, pee breaks, and the opportunity to buy "Western"
souvenirs, like rubber tomahawks and cheesy bow-and-arrow sets that were
broken only minutes after the little patch of civilization had vanished
in Dad's rear-view mirror. I reckon it was Route 66 we were on,
traveling from Oklahoma to California, just like my Dad's Okie
predecessors had done thirty years before.

--
Mike "Rocket J Squirrel" Elliott
71 Type 2: the Wonderbus
Old December 7th 04, 04:24 PM
cloud8

"Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliott"
et> wrote in
:

> Your dad must have known my dad. I remember the same desert-crossing
> gear: the torpedo-shaped swamp cooler that he hung outside Mom's
> window, the leaky canvas bag of water slung across the front grille.

[snip]
> civilization had vanished in Dad's rear-view mirror. I reckon it was
> Route 66 we were on, traveling from Oklahoma to California, just like
> my Dad's Okie predecessors had done thirty years before.

Wow. And your dad was...John Steinbeck?

--
Bill Merrill
Arlington, Mass.
Old December 7th 04, 09:57 PM

cloud8 wrote:
> "Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliott"
> et> wrote in
> :
>

>>Your dad must have known my dad. I remember the same desert-crossing
>>gear: the torpedo-shaped swamp cooler that he hung outside Mom's
>>window, the leaky canvas bag of water slung across the front grille.

> [snip]
>
>>civilization had vanished in Dad's rear-view mirror. I reckon it was
>>Route 66 we were on, traveling from Oklahoma to California, just like
>>my Dad's Okie predecessors had done thirty years before.

> Wow. And your dad was...John Steinbeck?

Nah, but he came out to CA from OK prior to joining the Navy for WWII.
Many Okies -- and other folks looking for a better life -- came out
during the Great Depression and to get away from the ravages of the Dust
Bowl -- an annual football game that brought more stupid fat tourists
with paint on their faces than was tolerable. Most of the locals either
hid out at home for the duration and listened to the game on the radio,
or just went away to visit relatives. The Joad family could have been my
father's folks. Except they didn't come to California during the
Depression. They stayed in Oklahoma. Thus my memories of riding in Dad's
car across the Great Basin (only distantly related to the Great
Depression) during summer with my brothers. We were going back to
Oklahoma to visit Grampa and Gramma Squirrel.

Okay - next question?

Old December 8th 04, 01:35 PM
cloud8

"Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliott"
et> wrote in
:

... The Joad family could have been my
> father's folks. Except they didn't come to California during the
> Depression. They stayed in Oklahoma. Thus my memories of riding in Dad's

Yes she said yes earth mother passing the wheat cake from her mouth
and rolling over she switched off the green light at the end of the
dock yes!

> Okay - next question?

No further questions.

Bill, trampling out the vintage
Arlington, Mass.
'70 Convertible
Old December 9th 04, 06:53 AM

On 12/8/2004 5:35 AM cloud8 wrote:

> "Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliott"
> et> wrote in
> :
>

> ... The Joad family could have been my
>
>>father's folks. Except they didn't come to California during the
>>Depression. They stayed in Oklahoma. Thus my memories of riding in Dad's

> Yes she said yes earth mother passing the wheat cake from her mouth
> and rolling over she switched off the green light at the end of the
> dock yes!

Ah. You understand. Good. Very, very good. The meeting is at 9.

--
Mike "Rocket J Squirrel" Elliott
71 Type 2: the Wonderbus
84 Westphalia: "Mellow Yellow (The Electrical Banana)"
KG6RCR
------------------------------------
Today's Deep Thought:

Just for today, I will not sit in my living room all day
watching TV. Instead I will move my TV into the bedroom.
------------------------------------
Old December 9th 04, 01:16 PM
cloud8

"Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliott"
et> wrote in
:

> Ah. You understand. Good. Very, very good. The meeting is at 9.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

--
Bill Merrill
Arlington, Mass.