Some air-cooled fun

Old May 4th 06, 10:51 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Default alt.motorcycle.organdonors - was - Tail of the Dragon Crash

I've still got the sand-rail but it's for sale...

Old May 5th 06, 01:42 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Wasn't it as much fun as the baja?

href="http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=4025706&a=32090944&f="Den's
Dogs</a>

href="http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=4025706&a=30209382&vt=vp">Den's
1977 Puma</a>

Old May 5th 06, 01:35 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

It was a lot of fun and in some ways more capable than the baja, but I
could drive the baja in any weather, so the rail was more of a
seasonable vehicle. Then I got wrapped up in the motorcycle I bought
and am still involved in that too much to spend any time playing with
the sand-rail. The rail is fine, though. Needs a tune up and probably
a new battery. I can charge the battery up for 15 minutes, spray some
ether down the carb, and it will start up and run. Idles rough, but
I'm sure some TLC will take care of that.

Old May 5th 06, 02:20 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled,alt.motorcycle.sportbike

Default Tail of the Dragon Crash - Was - Some air-cooled fun

Looks like I'm going back sometime in September. Haven't nailed down
the date yet. I'm discussing it with 4-5 guys to figure out exactly
when. Will probably be heading that way on a Friday and then coming
back home either Sunday or Monday. Going to try to stay at this place:
http://twowheelinn.com/
Anyone who's interested in making the trip to meet up for some riding,
email me and let me know you're wanting to meet up there and I'll
respond back and let you know the date we come up with for the trip.
travist67 _at_ gmail -dot- com.

Old May 5th 06, 03:57 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled,alt.motorcycle.sportbike

You should try some of the surrounding roads next time. The Cherahola
Skyway is just down the street from Deal's Gap and it's a magnificent
road.

The video is highly compressed and grainy, but I think you'll get the
point.

http://www.members.aol.com/saddlebag/cherahola.asf

Old May 5th 06, 04:06 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled,alt.motorcycle.sportbike

Yeah, we rode the Cherohala Skyway last time and the time before. It's
beautiful out there. :-) Gonna check out your video now.

Old May 5th 06, 04:10 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled,alt.motorcycle.sportbike

Ah, cool. Yeah, we enjoyed our ride out there, too. One of the local
guys caught up to us at an overlook to comment on how skillfully we
were riding. Got a picture of it...
http://f5.putfile.com/5/12411092699.jpg
Whoops! :-D

Old May 5th 06, 08:07 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled,alt.motorcycle.sportbike

Shag wrote:
> Ah, cool. Yeah, we enjoyed our ride out there, too. One of the local
> guys caught up to us at an overlook to comment on how skillfully we
> were riding. Got a picture of it...
> http://f5.putfile.com/5/12411092699.jpg
> Whoops! :-D

Did anyone get cited?

Old May 6th 06, 12:05 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled,alt.motorcycle.sportbike

"Saddlebag" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> You should try some of the surrounding roads next time. The Cherahola
> Skyway is just down the street from Deal's Gap and it's a magnificent
> road.
>
> The video is highly compressed and grainy, but I think you'll get the
> point.
>
> http://www.members.aol.com/saddlebag/cherahola.asf

i live right on the blue ridge parkway, so that video is like a typical
ride.... i love living in the mountains, because when roads like that video
bore me, i hit the mountain roads for some real curves...

Old May 7th 06, 08:18 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled,alt.motorcycle.sportbike

Nah, he let us go. When he pulled out behind us as we rode by him
right after he'd ticketed someone else, only the guy at the very back
of our group noticed. He slowed down. A few miles down the road we
all pulled over and were waiting for our friend to catch up at the
overlook. He was riding slowly the whole trip so we weren't surprised
when we stopped and he wasn't with us. A few minutes later he pulled
up with the patrol dude right behind him. The patrol guy asked us to
come over and then said "Hey, do y'all know why it took your friend so
long to get here? Because he was only riding at about 15 mph over the
speed limit, unlike y'all." He went on to talk long enough for us to
read between the lines and find out he's extremely bored with his job
and that he just wanted to talk some. Nice enough guy. He let us go
in part because none of us "looked like trouble." :-)