89 cherokee 4wd engage/disengage problem

Old October 16th 05, 04:55 AM
scmadhatter

Default 89 cherokee 4wd engage/disengage problem

okay I am stuck. I have been told that there is supposed to be a vacuum
line running to the front axle differential to engage the front axle to
4wd. I am as green as they come when it comes to this vehicle. I cannot
find a vacuum line running to the unit. If there is a vacuum line running
to it, where does it originate from; maybe I could track it back that way,

Old October 16th 05, 07:00 AM
Kevin in San Diego

You may not have a vacuum disconnect on your axle. Mine doesnt. If there is
no box on the axle tube with lines two lines going to it then you are lucky
and have a non vacuum disconnect front axle.

If its not shifting, start with the simplest things, check your tire
pressure and make sure they are the same left and right sides, it is very
common for the shift linkage to slip a bit and need adjusting. the shift
linkage adjusts right underneath the jeep where the handle pulls on a rod
that connects to your transfer case.
KH
for tons of other cherokee owners opinions and more info than anyone could
ever want about the cherokee try.
www.naxja.org

lkaboutautos.com...

Old October 16th 05, 03:56 PM
Mike Romain

An 89 is supposed to be a vacuum style axle lock. The vacuum switch is
on the passenger side of the axle tube on the back side.

Are you having an issue shifting into 4x4?

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old October 16th 05, 09:02 PM
Kevin in San Diego

Mike, not all 89's have a vacuum axle disconnect. My 88 is a non disconnect.

Hey Mike, how have you been, are you any better? I havent been around here
in a while.

KH

Old October 17th 05, 02:35 PM
Mike Romain

Interesting, our 88 has the disconnect. I guess a visual is in order
for the OP. If it has the switch on the passenger side axle, it has a
disconnect.

I am mobile, but not much better. The accident really messed up my neck
and shoulder and the doctors are telling me it's likely permanent. My
neck vertebra are compressed from C3 to C7 with C5 hitting the central
cord even. I go for more MRI photos this week to see if they can
re-attach my shoulder blade or not. The muscles under it act like they
are ripped all to crap and one MRI shot shows them torn bad.

The only off roading I am doing these days is just enough to get to a
camp place and park my butt. We were supposed to go out last weekend
for 5 days but I couldn't function well enough to drive there even after
some insurance quacks 'assessed' me on the Thursday. :-(

Mike

Old October 17th 05, 06:24 PM
Earle Horton

Is the disconnect related to Command Trac versus Selec Trac? What I am
thinking, is that Selec Trac has a "full time four wheel drive" mode, and
the disconnect doesn't look like something, that is designed for heavy duty
cycles.

Earle

Old October 17th 05, 10:28 PM
Kevin in San Diego

Right Earle. I do have an NP242 tcase making it full time 4wd capable and a
non disconnect front axle that always spins the front driveshaft.
KH

Old October 17th 05, 10:29 PM
Kevin in San Diego

Dang Mike, well at least you didnt die, but wow. I guess it could always be
worse. It sounds tough though. Good luck with future improvements.