1915 Van Blerck photos ? ? just what is it ?

Old April 10th 09, 08:09 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.autos,alt.binaries.automobiles.carshows
doby

Default 1915 Van Blerck photos ? ? just what is it ?

To me, this is a boatail speedster or racer not a convertible. Then there is
some photos that add more questions. Photo 27, shows a modern power
steering cap. Photo 40 shows tire types not available repro for that date.
Photo shows (upside down) 1918 patent plate from La France Motors, so if
it is a 1915 how can it have a 1918 part. Yet in many places there are 1915
markings, and even the Van Blerck model/make plate, suggesting there were
more than one made. So what's the story that makes this such a "rare"
vehicle ?

Doby
Old April 10th 09, 09:48 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.autos,alt.binaries.automobiles.carshows
John Bradley

See -01 comments. It's 'rare' only as it's never been a car - it's a boat
engine in a recently made up 'car'. The tyres just weren't right at first
view. So I looked around.

Old April 10th 09, 11:28 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.autos,alt.binaries.automobiles.carshows
Paddy's Pig[_2_] Paddy's Pig[_2_] is offline
Banned

Default 1915 Van Blerck photos ? ? just what is it ? - 3 attachments (1/2)

"Ron" <xnews.com> wrote in message ...

> VAN BLERCK SPARTAN 17 LITRE, LA is the place of the unusual and amazing
> when it comes to custom cars - Here is one that is just being finished -
> It is a giant speedster built on a moditied 1920 American LeFrance
> chain-drive fire truck chassis, the engine is a 1915 "T" head engine of 17
> litres. Built by Gary Wales in the famed San Fernando Valley,

Beautiful pics of a very colorful car in more ways than one. Thanks Ron.

All the "famed" San Fernando Valley is known for as heat and smog.
--
Pat

Old April 10th 09, 11:37 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.autos,alt.binaries.automobiles.carshows
doby

On 10 Apr 2009 22:11:44 GMT, Ron <xnews.com> wrote:

>>Doby > wrote in
m:

>>> To me, this is a boatail speedster or racer not a convertible. Then
>>> there is some photos that add more questions. Photo 27, shows a modern
>>> power steering cap. Photo 40 shows tire types not available repro for
>>> that date. Photo shows (upside down) 1918 patent plate from La France
>>> Motors, so if it is a 1915 how can it have a 1918 part. Yet in many
>>> places there are 1915 markings, and even the Van Blerck model/make
>>> plate, suggesting there were more than one made. So what's the story
>>> that makes this such a "rare" vehicle ?
>>>
>>> Doby

>>I picked up this from the web.
>>
>>VAN BLERCK SPARTAN 17 LITRE, LA is the place of the unusual and amazing
>>when it comes to custom cars - Here is one that is just being finished - It
>>is a giant speedster built on a moditied 1920 American LeFrance chain-drive
>>fire truck chassis, the engine is a 1915 "T" head engine of 17 litres.
>>Built by Gary Wales in the famed San Fernando Valley,
>>
>>[This section was removed and saved as file C:\Documents and Settings\Owner.YOUR-BD627BBF84\Application Data\Forte\Agent\temp\1915_Van_Blerck_Spartan_road ster_03.jpg]

Well, this information confirms in my mind, it is a speedster not a convertible.
It should, again, in my mind be a customized La France speedster build in 1920
using a lot of Rouch instruments, commissioned by etc. etc. and nothing really
1915 about it except a part or two.

Doby
Old April 11th 09, 12:49 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.autos,alt.binaries.automobiles.carshows
John Bradley

It was built a couple of years ago. The engine is from 1915 allegedly and
seems about that old.
2005 American LaFrance-Van Blerck speedster

:

Old April 11th 09, 02:58 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.autos,alt.binaries.automobiles.carshows
Ron

"Paddy's Pig" > wrote in
:

> "Ron" <xnews.com> wrote in message
>
>> VAN BLERCK SPARTAN 17 LITRE, LA is the place of the unusual and
>> amazing when it comes to custom cars - Here is one that is just being
>> finished - It is a giant speedster built on a moditied 1920 American
>> LeFrance chain-drive fire truck chassis, the engine is a 1915 "T"
>> head engine of 17 litres. Built by Gary Wales in the famed San
>> Fernando Valley,

> Beautiful pics of a very colorful car in more ways than one. Thanks
> Ron.
>
> All the "famed" San Fernando Valley is known for as heat and smog.

Hi Pat, I'll send the rest
Old April 11th 09, 08:58 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.autos,alt.binaries.automobiles.carshows
Max Magister

I'm glad these pictures provoked a bit of reaction. It really is an
interesting car even if it was made recently.

max

: