Ball joint questions

Old February 9th 05, 05:21 PM
larry moe 'n curly

Default Ball joint questions

I have a 1997 Nissan pickup.

Is it normal for ball joint boots to have a weep hole? Because when I
put in too much grease, a bit oozes out through a small hole that I'm
fairly sure isn't a tear or crack because it's in the exact same spot
on both upper boots, and the hole is in the middle of a tiny bump
molded into the boot.

Also why won't grease go into one of the lower ball joints but just
oozes out the end of the zerk? I tried changing zerks (new and from
other joint that didn't ooze), checking the threaded hole (not clogged,
was able to stick wire just as deeply into it as with other joint), and
jacking up the lower suspension arm to relieve pressure. At least the
rubber boot seems to have plenty of grease in it.

Old February 10th 05, 12:45 AM
Shawn

all of my boots seem to have this little "nipple" on the sides that ooze
grease when im adding grease, Yup this is normal
my lower balljoint doesnt seem to have one of those little screw in plugs to
replace with a grease zert, I cant find it anyway, where is the screw-in
plug located on the lower ball joint, id really like to replace it with a
zert so i can grease it
oups.com...

Old February 10th 05, 01:35 AM
Lawrence Glickman

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 00:45:40 GMT, "Shawn" >
wrote:

>all of my boots seem to have this little "nipple" on the sides that ooze
>grease when im adding grease, Yup this is normal
>my lower balljoint doesnt seem to have one of those little screw in plugs to
>replace with a grease zert, I cant find it anyway, where is the screw-in
>plug located on the lower ball joint, id really like to replace it with a
>zert so i can grease it

It is called a Zerk IIRC, and many of these joints are sealed for the
life of the vehicle and don't need re-lubrication. Most newer
vehicles don't require any suspension joint lubing. Show me where I
am wrong about this.

Lg

Old February 10th 05, 02:29 PM
larry moe 'n curly

Shawn wrote:

> all of my boots seem to have this little "nipple" on the sides
> that ooze grease when im adding grease, Yup this is normal

Thanks. That's good to know

> my lower balljoint doesnt seem to have one of those little
> screw in plugs to replace with a grease zert, I cant find
> it anyway, where is the screw-in plug located on the lower
> ball joint, id really like to replace it with a zerk so i
> can grease it

The previous owner of my Nissan installed the zerks, but none of the
steering ball joints have zerks or plugs, and I cleaned off the ends of
the ball joints thoroughly to make sure there weren't any plugs. I've
heard of people drilling holes there to install zerks, but that seems
risky to me.

Old February 10th 05, 11:42 PM
Shawn

what I would do if there is NOT a grease zerk but DOES have that l;ittle
rubber nipple thingy on the side is get ahold of a needle attachment for
your grease gun and squirt grease through that little nipple til grease
comes out
.....just a thought

Old February 11th 05, 08:48 PM
larry moe 'n curly

Shawn wrote:

> what I would do if there is NOT a grease zerk but DOES
> have that little rubber nipple thingy on the side is
> get ahold of a needle attachment for your grease gun
> and squirt grease through that little nipple til grease
> comes out
> ....just a thought

Thanks. I never knew there were needle attachments for grease.