Crate Engine

Old November 10th 07, 04:23 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default Crate Engine

Hi, I've just gotten interested in the build it myself deal. Who
turns out the best quality Crate Engines? Cr http://tinyurl.com/34ktyo

Old November 10th 07, 04:44 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Mike Romain

wrote:
> Hi, I've just gotten interested in the build it myself deal. Who
> turns out the best quality Crate Engines? Cr
http://tinyurl.com/34ktyo

A 'crate engine' in my mind is a new one so the vehicle manufacturer is
the only one that puts them out.

Other than that, they are 'rebuilds' or remanufactured engines with used
parts in them. All the rebuilders have bad days and good days....
Old November 10th 07, 09:13 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
dahpater

On Nov 10, 11:44 am, Mike Romain > wrote:
> wrote:
> > Hi, I've just gotten interested in the build it myself deal. Who
> > turns out the best quality Crate Engines? Crhttp://tinyurl.com/34ktyo

> A 'crate engine' in my mind is a new one so the vehicle manufacturer is
> the only one that puts them out.
>
> Other than that, they are 'rebuilds' or remanufactured engines with used
> parts in them. All the rebuilders have bad days and good days....

A "crate engine" is a slang term usually used in the racing or hot
rodding fields. It refers to a high perf engine, built and tested by
many of the manufactures out there. (ie: Summit, Jegs, Roush and so
on)

Old November 14th 07, 04:02 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Mike Romain

dahpater wrote:
> On Nov 10, 11:44 am, Mike Romain > wrote:
>> wrote:
>>> Hi, I've just gotten interested in the build it myself deal. Who
>>> turns out the best quality Crate Engines? Crhttp://tinyurl.com/34ktyo

>> A 'crate engine' in my mind is a new one so the vehicle manufacturer is
>> the only one that puts them out.
>>
>> Other than that, they are 'rebuilds' or remanufactured engines with used
>> parts in them. All the rebuilders have bad days and good days....

> A "crate engine" is a slang term usually used in the racing or hot
> rodding fields. It refers to a high perf engine, built and tested by
> many of the manufactures out there. (ie: Summit, Jegs, Roush and so
> on)

OK, so does that make them 'rebuilt' pieces of crap that only got broken
parts replaced with the rest only painted, turned or cleaned or so
called 're-manufactured', only using all new parts supposedly?

I have seen some really 'nasty' rebuilt engines.... The last one had 4
out of the 7 main bearing caps on the wrong journal and 4 of the
connecting rod caps on the wrong rod. Still can't figure how the sucker
ran....

Mike
'New' frame in the works for '08
Old November 14th 07, 04:41 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
dahpater

On Nov 14, 11:02 am, Mike Romain > wrote:
> dahpater wrote:
> >> A 'crate engine' in my mind is a new one so the vehicle manufacturer is
> >> the only one that puts them out.

> >> Other than that, they are 'rebuilds' or remanufactured engines with used
> >> parts in them. All the rebuilders have bad days and good days....

> > A "crate engine" is a slang term usually used in the racing or hot
> > rodding fields. It refers to a high perf engine, built and tested by
> > many of the manufactures out there. (ie: Summit, Jegs, Roush and so
> > on)

> OK, so does that make them 'rebuilt' pieces of crap that only got broken
> parts replaced with the rest only painted, turned or cleaned or so
> called 're-manufactured', only using all new parts supposedly?
>
> I have seen some really 'nasty' rebuilt engines.... The last one had 4
> out of the 7 main bearing caps on the wrong journal and 4 of the
> connecting rod caps on the wrong rod. Still can't figure how the sucker
> ran....
>
> Mike
> 'New' frame in the works for '08- Hide quoted text -

?

The "crate engines" that I'm refering to are "new".

Old November 14th 07, 05:24 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Mike Romain

dahpater wrote:
> On Nov 14, 11:02 am, Mike Romain > wrote:
>> dahpater wrote:
>>> A "crate engine" is a slang term usually used in the racing or hot
>>> rodding fields. It refers to a high perf engine, built and tested by
>>> many of the manufactures out there. (ie: Summit, Jegs, Roush and so
>>> on)

>> OK, so does that make them 'rebuilt' pieces of crap that only got broken
>> parts replaced with the rest only painted, turned or cleaned or so
>> called 're-manufactured', only using all new parts supposedly?
>>
>> I have seen some really 'nasty' rebuilt engines.... The last one had 4
>> out of the 7 main bearing caps on the wrong journal and 4 of the
>> connecting rod caps on the wrong rod. Still can't figure how the sucker
>> ran....
>>
>> Mike
>> 86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00
>> 'New' frame in the works for '08- Hide quoted text -

> ?
>
> The "crate engines" that I'm refering to are "new".

You mean no used parts then like a used block with all the passages full
of metal shavings from the last blown engine with who know what burger
flipper in charge of cleaning it right?

That must be seriously pricey!

Mike
Old November 14th 07, 05:58 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Banned

When I bought my Dodge van in late 1989, the engine was shot.I don't
think that guy had ever changed the oil in the engine.(318 cubic inche
engine) The speedometer cable was disconnected at the speedometer, the
speedometer said about 85,000 miles.He said it is more like 185,000
miles.He had disconnected the cable because it was making a noise.I
bought a new rebuilt Masterbuilt (Masterbult, Oklahoma City,Oklahoma)
short block and I had the two cylinder heads rebuilt at a local
automotive machine shop.

I paid a one hundred dollar bill to the guy when I bought that van.I
don't remember how much I paid for the short block at a local auto parts
store, I think it was about $350.00.When I got the van running, I
removed the speedometer and I set the numbers back to zero.Since then, I
have driven my Dodge van over 73.000 trouble free miles, with the
exceptions of replacement water pump, two alternators, one starter motor
and brakes rebuilt and about six ago I had the transmission rebuilt at a
local Mr.Transmission shop.I think I am getting my moneys worth from my
old Dodge van.I am going to drive it untill the wheels fall off.
cuhulin

Old November 14th 07, 07:41 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
dahpater

On Nov 14, 12:24 pm, Mike Romain > wrote:
> dahpater wrote:
> >> OK, so does that make them 'rebuilt' pieces of crap that only got broken
> >> parts replaced with the rest only painted, turned or cleaned or so
> >> called 're-manufactured', only using all new parts supposedly?

> >> I have seen some really 'nasty' rebuilt engines.... The last one had 4
> >> out of the 7 main bearing caps on the wrong journal and 4 of the
> >> connecting rod caps on the wrong rod. Still can't figure how the sucker
> >> ran....

> >> Mike
> >> 86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00
> >> 'New' frame in the works for '08- Hide quoted text -

> > ?

> > The "crate engines" that I'm refering to are "new".

> You mean no used parts then like a used block with all the passages full
> of metal shavings from the last blown engine with who know what burger
> flipper in charge of cleaning it right?
>
> That must be seriously pricey!
>
> Mike- Hide quoted text -

They are really not that bad.

Summitt,
A GM Performance Parts 350 H.O. "Crate Engine" is $2400.00. No
balancer, intake, or water pump. Puts out 330 HP.

There's also a GM Performance 350 H.O. "Deluxe Crate Engine". Comes
with HEI distributor, balancer, water pump, dip stick and tube,
flexplate, and a Vortec intake with a 600 Holly/elec choke. $3400.00.

Around $150.00 to ship and ofcourse no core.

All in all, there relly not that bad.

Ford's are about the same.

Course you can get 900 HP for around $18/$19,000.00. And it doesn't
stop there. It's all in what you want and application.

For "rebuilt" engines, I always go with Jasper. Had one problem out of
30 or so engines. Call them up. Explain whats wrong. They send another
and pay labor.

I can't do a total rebuild, (for a customer), for the price you can
buy one for. Usually the only time I do a total rebuild is when the
car has to stay original.

Old November 14th 07, 08:34 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Ray[_9_]

Mike Romain wrote:

>> The "crate engines" that I'm refering to are "new".
>>

> You mean no used parts then like a used block with all the passages full
> of metal shavings from the last blown engine with who know what burger
> flipper in charge of cleaning it right?
>
> That must be seriously pricey!
>
> Mike

they start off fairly cheap and go to mondo bucks.

GM Goodwrench 260 hp 350 cubic inch crate engine - all new parts - about
$1700.
GM Goodwrench 600 hp 502 big block... not $1700. IIRC around $13000.
Old November 19th 07, 03:39 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve[_1_]

wrote:

> Hi, I've just gotten interested in the build it myself deal. Who
> turns out the best quality Crate Engines? Cr
http://tinyurl.com/34ktyo

Chrysler, Ford, and General Motors are the only builders of what I would
call "crate" engines, meaning 100% new-production engines. Everything
else is a rebuild, EXCEPT for high-end places like Dick Landy Industries
and others which take a factory crate engine, tear it down, carefully
optimize and blueprint everything, and then sell it at a substantially
higher price (but with better performance).

$41,000 bid on a 1960's Nascar Ford SOHO crate engine...! [email protected] General 0 August 2nd 07 01:33 PM
$41,000 bid on a 1960's Nascar Ford SOHO crate engine...! [email protected] Antique cars 0 August 2nd 07 01:33 PM
Crate Engine will not start GTI Jeep 15 July 26th 06 12:26 AM
LS7 Crate (600 hp) RicSeyler Corvette 2 December 31st 05 09:49 PM
351 crate motor? Dean Ford Mustang 22 November 16th 05 06:18 AM