1964 impala ss

Old December 6th 07, 07:17 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Nick

Default 1964 impala ss

i gotta 64 impala ss and after driving it around for about a week i
keep having to adjust the timing to fix the idle, any ideas why it
keeps doin this? could it be the distributor rubbing against the
firewall and moving around? any ideas?
Old December 6th 07, 07:26 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Mike Walsh

Does the timing become early or late? Does the dwell change?

--
Mike Walsh
Old December 6th 07, 08:17 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Nick

On Dec 6, 12:26 pm, Mike Walsh > wrote:
> Does the timing become early or late? Does the dwell change?
>
> Nick wrote:
>
> > i gotta 64 impala ss and after driving it around for about a week i
> > keep having to adjust the timing to fix the idle, any ideas why it
> > keeps doin this? could it be the distributor rubbing against the
> > firewall and moving around? any ideas?

> --
> Mike Walsh

the timing comes early and the dwell stays the same.
Old December 6th 07, 08:17 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Refinish King[_2_]

Check the rubbing block on the points:

Sometimes people don't grease the rubbing block, and it wears quickly,
changing the dwell and timing.

Also, check the plate in the distributor for looseness.

I hope this helps.

RK

PS
Is this a 348 or 409?

Old December 6th 07, 08:32 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Nick

On Dec 6, 1:17 pm, "Refinish King" > wrote:
> Check the rubbing block on the points:
>
> Sometimes people don't grease the rubbing block, and it wears quickly,
> changing the dwell and timing.
>
> Also, check the plate in the distributor for looseness.
>
> I hope this helps.
>
> RK
>
> PS
> Is this a 348 or 409?"Mike Walsh" > wrote in message

> > Does the timing become early or late? Does the dwell change?

> > Nick wrote:

> >> i gotta 64 impala ss and after driving it around for about a week i
> >> keep having to adjust the timing to fix the idle, any ideas why it
> >> keeps doin this? could it be the distributor rubbing against the
> >> firewall and moving around? any ideas?

> > --
> > Mike Walsh

thanks, will do. it's a 350, 4 barrel, hooker header, gas guzzlin son
of a bitch.

ps, do u paint?
Old December 6th 07, 08:49 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
N8N

On Dec 6, 2:17 pm, Nick > wrote:
> i gotta 64 impala ss and after driving it around for about a week i
> keep having to adjust the timing to fix the idle, any ideas why it
> keeps doin this? could it be the distributor rubbing against the
> firewall and moving around? any ideas?

If it's still the original points style dist. it may be time to pull
it and have it completely rebuilt. The comment about lubing the
rubbing block was a good one though. It's possible however that it is
binding up internally and retarding itself as you drive, and only a
rebuild can fix this. Also the advance mechanism may be sticking
(either vacuum or centrifugal) basically you gotta take it out, pull
it apart, and look at it.

Personally, unless this is a 100% original car, I'd be tempted to
replace the distributor with an early 70's HEI unit just for no-
maintenance reliable sparkingness.

nate
Old December 6th 07, 10:50 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Noozer

"Nick" > wrote in message
>i gotta 64 impala ss and after driving it around for about a week i
> keep having to adjust the timing to fix the idle, any ideas why it
> keeps doin this? could it be the distributor rubbing against the
> firewall and moving around? any ideas?

Mark the distributors position and check the marks next time it's causing
you grief.

At least that way you'll know if it's physically moving or something
internal is messed up.

Old December 7th 07, 04:40 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
dahpater

On Dec 6, 2:17 pm, Nick > wrote:
> i gotta 64 impala ss and after driving it around for about a week i
> keep having to adjust the timing to fix the idle, any ideas why it
> keeps doin this? could it be the distributor rubbing against the
> firewall and moving around? any ideas?

Also check:
1) hold down bolt is tight
2) the vacuum line for the advance. It has to be hooked to "throttle
vacuum"
3) side wear/play in the distributor hose where the inner shaft spins.
(should be damn near none)
4) timing chain back lash (8 to 10 degrees max)

When you "adjust the timing", is it actually changing from it's
original setting, or are you changing it to compensate for another
problem?!?!

You do not have to pull the distributor to check the mech/vac
advances. Pull the rotor off and check the mechanical weights and
springs. The weights and mechanism usually rust. WD 40 or CRC will
take care off that. Vacuum pump for the vacuum advance.

If it's "binding" (not spinning free), and nothing is worn, you don't
have to rebuild it. You can pull the distributor, knock the roll pin
out of the drive gear and remove the gear and shim. Twist and pull the
inner shaft up through the points side of the outer housing. Sometimes
you need to take a can of carb cleaner and with the red hose spray it
into the shaft/hosing to cut all the built up oil. Clean the shaft on
a wire wheel and clean the hosing with the carb cleaner and a small,
round long handled wire brush. (usually found in the plumbing dept)

If it is a distributor problem, and it doesn't need to be "O" riganal,
then yes put an early HEI in it. Very easy change over! And much
better. Most off the time you don't even have to change heat settings
on the spark plugs. You will have to monitor them for awhile to see
for sure.
Old December 7th 07, 06:11 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Mike Walsh

If the dwell stays the same the rubbing block is not wearing (the most common cause of timing change). Maybe the centrifugal advance or vacuum advance is kicking in.

Old December 7th 07, 08:40 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Nate Nagel[_2_]

Mike Walsh wrote:
> If the dwell stays the same the rubbing block is not wearing (the most common cause of timing change). Maybe the centrifugal advance or vacuum advance is kicking in.
>
> Nick wrote:
>
>>On Dec 6, 12:26 pm, Mike Walsh > wrote:
>>
>>>Does the timing become early or late? Does the dwell change?

>>the timing comes early and the dwell stays the same.

I agree, sounds like either the centrifugal advance or vacuum advance is
pulling the plate around and it's not returning for some reason. Time
to pull the dist. and have a look. If the shaft was binding in the
bushings and turning the whole housing, the timing would be retarded not
advanced.

If you just rap on the housing with a tool with a timing light on the
engine, does the timing suddenly retard back to normal?

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel