Removing Crankshaft Pulley

Old January 24th 08, 02:44 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Ken[_17_]

Default Removing Crankshaft Pulley

To remove the bolt that holds the crankshaft pulley off Japanese cars
and SUVs such as a Nissan, turn it in the direction opposite to the
direction the engine turns, right?
Old January 24th 08, 03:04 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
C. E. White[_1_]

"Ken" > wrote in message
> To remove the bolt that holds the crankshaft pulley off Japanese
> cars and SUVs such as a Nissan, turn it in the direction opposite to
> the direction the engine turns, right?

I worry making a generalization like this is dangerous.

Ed

Old January 24th 08, 04:09 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
E Meyer

I don't know of any that don't have standard right handed threads. The
issue in removing Japanese crankshaft bolts is that they are usually torqued
to a level approaching welded-in-place.

On 1/24/08 8:44 AM, in article
, "Ken"

Old January 24th 08, 04:16 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Tegger

Ken > wrote in news:Uu1mj.162622$MJ6.102026
@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net:

> To remove the bolt that holds the crankshaft pulley off Japanese cars
> and SUVs such as a Nissan, turn it in the direction opposite to the
> direction the engine turns, right?

All the ones I've personally come across have normal right-hand threads
regardless of engine rotation direction.

--
Tegger

Old January 24th 08, 05:14 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
dahpater

Which engine turns counter-clockwise?

Old January 24th 08, 07:00 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Tegger

dahpater > wrote in news:5c73c284-b471-46e2-894e-
:

> Which engine turns counter-clockwise?

Honda/Acura fours. There might be others, but I'm not aware of them.

--
Tegger

Old January 24th 08, 07:54 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
dahpater

On Jan 24, 2:00*pm, Tegger > wrote:
> dahpater > wrote in news:5c73c284-b471-46e2-894e-
> :
>
> > Which engine turns counter-clockwise?

> Honda/Acura fours. There might be others, but I'm not aware of them.
>
> --
> Tegger

Didn't know that. Thanx.
Old January 24th 08, 08:46 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Ray[_9_]

dahpater wrote:
> On Jan 24, 2:00 pm, Tegger > wrote:
>> dahpater > wrote in news:5c73c284-b471-46e2-894e-
>> :
>>
>>> Which engine turns counter-clockwise?

>> Honda/Acura fours. There might be others, but I'm not aware of them.
>>
>> --
>> Tegger

> Didn't know that. Thanx.

and some of them are on TIGHT.

The OEM torque on my buddy's 92 Acura was like 500 foot-pounds.
You need a BIG impact to get it off.
Weirdly enough, you only put it back on to (IIRC) 100 foot-pounds.
Old January 24th 08, 09:55 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Woody[_1_]

Using the OEM service manual would eliminate the confusion generated by
posters who have no idea...

Old January 24th 08, 11:23 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Tegger

Ray > wrote in news:OO6mj.2635
$ow.1576@pd7urf1no:

> dahpater wrote:
>> On Jan 24, 2:00 pm, Tegger > wrote:
>>> dahpater > wrote in news:5c73c284-b471-46e2-894e-
>>> :

>>> Honda/Acura fours. There might be others, but I'm not aware of them.
>>>

>> Didn't know that. Thanx.

> and some of them are on TIGHT.
>
> The OEM torque on my buddy's 92 Acura was like 500 foot-pounds.
> You need a BIG impact to get it off.
> Weirdly enough, you only put it back on to (IIRC) 100 foot-pounds.

Honda crank bolts are final-torqued to somewhere around 120-130 ft lbs. It
varies depending on engine model.

There is a phenomenon known as "embedment", where the surface texture of
the bolt threads sort of mesh with the surface of the receiving threads in
the crank nose, to a lesser or greater degree. This embedment results in
the need for up to several times tightening torque when loosening. Honda
has mentioned this at least once in their internal dealership publication.

--
Tegger